Author Topic: How long does it take to install 0810?  (Read 9568 times)

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
  • Technology. Simple. Hidden.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Lifestyles, LLC
How long does it take to install 0810?
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:30:57 pm »
I've been trying to install 0810 from scratch to installer 7, and its taking almost two days to download and install >:(

Could this be a NIC issue (I am able to download, but it's not fast) or a repository issue? My Core is a dual-core Intel, 2GB RAM, nVidia 9400 w/1GB RAM, 80GB SATA II drive. It installs LMCE 0710 in 1 hour, start to UI2 (clean install), so I know it's not my hardware, and I'm using Optimum Online for internet access.

I have followed the instructions on this page: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2, and I'm open to any and all suggestions to speed this up.

Thanks in advance,
What stays the same for every project no matter who is the client?

The Home!

UNi

• Veteran
  • Would you like Cheese with that Whine?
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take to install 0810?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:22:22 pm »
It took me about 1 hour, more or less...on dual-core, 2.6, 10MB up/down connection.  If you're Net connection is slow, it will take lot longer, I'd guess.

-UNi
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:02:02 pm by UNi »

ckerkhoff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:09 pm »
Takes me about 4 hours to download and install with a DSL connection.

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:49:35 pm »
So does it seem possible that eth1 is being used instead of eth0? Could that be what's slowing me down?

The Home!

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:22:57 pm »
how fast is your internet connection?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 02:13:44 am »
It does take a long time as its downloading all the packages on demand (once a DVD installer is created this will happen locally so will be significantly faster). But 2 days is ridiculous unless you are using dial up! Can you actually see it downloading the packages? It gives a download rate in kB/s for each one... start with that, if the download rate isn't at least 1/2 your internet sync speed, then you probably have a networking issue. Its impossible from here to tell you where that issue might be as we don't know how you have this set up.. at the least I would suggest checking that your external NIC is connected at 100/1000M Full duplex, and is not getting lots of errors, drops or collisions (use ifconfig) as this will cause lots of retransmits and kill your download speed.

UNi

• Veteran
  • Would you like Cheese with that Whine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »
Like Colin said, do an "ifconfig -a" and see how the Nics are lined up.

Eth0 should be 192.168.80.1

Eth1 is the outside NIC and by default grabs a DHCP addy if you have a DHCP router inside...this is your Internet connection as well,so the problem probably lies on this Nic.

You could ping www.google.com and report back here...it should be about 25ms...

-UNi

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 12:56:02 am »
UNi

Please be careful in your recommendations.

1) eth0 is intended to be the external NIC and eth1 the internal, not the other way around. Although it is possible to get it working that way, it is not designed that way and so will cause problems in many circumstances. This is being addressed in later 0810alphas to do NIC detection and make the name irrelevant. But for now, aim for eth0 to be external to minimise interesting routing issues.

2) Why would you say that pinging Google should be around 25ms? That is a very you-centric view of the world. Latency is effected by a large number of things like physical distance, serialisation delays, number of router interfaces, link saturation and buffers. It isn't a good determinant of Internet speed. Google pings at 300ms for me, yet it responds instantly for me as it is a well written site! If you want to use ping at all, then you should be pinging the IP of a local DSLAM interface for your ISP only a hop or 2 away (get via tracert) as this will determine if there are any congestion/serialisation/oversubscription issues on your service.

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:40:53 am »
Guys,

I'm at 11.5Mbps up/1.8Mbps down in NY and 80kbps up/1.6Mbps down in Seattle. My download speed when I run the mce-install script is averaging 60kbps. I swapped my NICs (eth0 and eth1) as suggested to match the installation script, and no improvement! I now think it has to do with where the download server is and how many hops until the data get to me. Thanks for all your help in this matter. I was going crazy thinking it was something on my installation botching things up. I wonder if there's anything else I can do to speed things up... a DVD install maybe? **nudge, nudge**  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:45:07 am by digilifellc »

The Home!

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:21:56 am »
Seattle eh? Im not too far away, out on the key peninsula near Tacoma. 1.7mbit dsl here and it takes me about 4 hours to do an install.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:30 am »
Guys,

I'm at 11.5Mbps up/1.8Mbps down in NY and 80kbps up/1.6Mbps down in Seattle. My download speed when I run the mce-install script is averaging 60kbps. I swapped my NICs (eth0 and eth1) as suggested to match the installation script, and no improvement! I now think it has to do with where the download server is and how many hops until the data get to me. Thanks for all your help in this matter. I was going crazy thinking it was something on my installation botching things up. I wonder if there's anything else I can do to speed things up... a DVD install maybe? **nudge, nudge**  ;)

You still didn't indicate what download speed the individual packages are coming in at. Please read my earlier post. As each comes down, it gives a download rate at the right of the terminal screen. Compare that with your actual download speed. If it is more than 10x slower then you have a network issue, if it is within 3x slower then it is likely something else.

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 01:00:20 pm »
@colinjones:

I'm downloading video-wizard-videos now [469MB] and it doesn't show the download rate in the terminal. I'm using knetload to see what the download speed is, and it's averaging 60kbps. I said that earlier.

Anyone else in northern NJ experiencing this issue?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:01:18 pm by digilifellc »

The Home!

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:37 pm »
Guys,

Thank you all for your assistance. I found the issues and am now downloading at 7-10Mbps. I disconnected my Core from the cable modem directly and put it behind a Belkin 54G router. It's still a mystery that connecting the Core directly to the cable modem doesn't maintain the same download speeds. Thanks again for all your feedback.

-Wesley

The Home!

tckeyser

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 05:14:05 am »
Confirming same issue as Wesley.  Had the core directly plugged into my charter cable modem and was only pulling 5k but ONLY from linuxmce.org all other packages were running 600k plus.  As soon as I put a router between the core and the cable modem I am back up to full speed.

Todd

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 08:20:42 am »
That makes... _ZERO_ sense.

-Thom