Author Topic: Android Orbiter  (Read 47749 times)

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Android Orbiter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 04:17:56 pm »
We're going to probably support the iPhone/iPhone before Android.

widescreen

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:05:00 pm »
Just to give my 2 cents, I would contribute to an android orbiter.  I do not have either a android phone nor a iphone, but it would make more sense to have an orbiter for the android phones considering that only AT&T has the iphone.  Android phones will be available on cdma and gsm networks such as verizon, sprint, AT&T, and t-mobile, making android a better choice for linuxmce.  The bigger the pool of users, the bigger the pool of people who would contribute for development now and for future versions of an orbiter. :=)

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »
Just to give my 2 cents, I would contribute to an android orbiter.  I do not have either a android phone nor a iphone, but it would make more sense to have an orbiter for the android phones considering that only AT&T has the iphone.  Android phones will be available on cdma and gsm networks such as verizon, sprint, AT&T, and t-mobile, making android a better choice for linuxmce.  The bigger the pool of users, the bigger the pool of people who would contribute for development now and for future versions of an orbiter. :=)

I think both would be great additions...but it has to be said that currently there are more users with iPhones than Android based phones. This could change over time as more phone manufacturers build products around Android...but for now thats the case.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Gaute

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 07:30:06 pm »
It would be really cool if a android orbiter was integrated with androids UI (using its menu button to bring up the computing, sleep menu, power, more, etc buttons), so the tilt function, and maybe even a widget view just whats playing (and maybe some other things).
Is it posible to get the information out of linuxmce so it can be rendered in the orbiter (in this case the android handset)?
If true, then I'm intrested in take part in this project.

Gaute

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 07:37:42 pm »
mobile orbiters are very simple programs.

They recieve images of fully rendered screens from the core over RFCOMM,
they send back keypresses and screen touches over RFCOMM,
they send back bluetooth location information.

In the end, we would make a touch screen UI variation, which would take advantage of the phone's screen, and build a UI for it, but due to the nature of how Orbiter works, making one with a "native" UI would be exceedingly difficult

-Thom

Gaute

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00:34 am »
Okey, I see... But how about making a extra varitation (not necessary a extra HADesigner variation) for use on a widget?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 05:29:05 pm »
You'll need to spend some time with the system's tools to find out why going that route will be exceptionally strenuous.

Dude, it's really very simple. Get down into the code and do some research. A lot of people just talk on here. Are you going to be one of those people? Or are you going to DO something?

I am very fed up with people who MIGHT do something if EVERYTHING along the way is PERFECT and WILL WORK OUT GREAT! STOP BEING LITTLE BABIES. GROW A PAIR AND TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY!

Come on, fellas. If you want to make this system better, DIG IN, AND DO SOME _REAL WORK_ WITH ME.

I know it may seem like i'm ripping you a new one, but this comes from many months of frustration, I'm through being nice to those people who MIGHT help. EITHER HELP or DON'T.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »
You'll need to spend some time with the system's tools to find out why going that route will be exceptionally strenuous.

Dude, it's really very simple. Get down into the code and do some research. A lot of people just talk on here. Are you going to be one of those people? Or are you going to DO something?

I am very fed up with people who MIGHT do something if EVERYTHING along the way is PERFECT and WILL WORK OUT GREAT! STOP BEING LITTLE BABIES. GROW A PAIR AND TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY!

Come on, fellas. If you want to make this system better, DIG IN, AND DO SOME _REAL WORK_ WITH ME.

I know it may seem like i'm ripping you a new one, but this comes from many months of frustration, I'm through being nice to those people who MIGHT help. EITHER HELP or DON'T.

-Thom

I fully understand your frustration and I cannot say I disagree, but maybe you should just take a break from answering posts like these for a while.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 08:16:15 pm »
Yeah, you're right.

sorry.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 08:18:13 pm »
I second Zaerc.

And for what it is worth, if members from the core team will continue to shout at and insult users, I will spend my spare time for another project.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Gaute

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 06:09:13 pm »
I'm going to order a android phone, and going to start look at the development of a android orbiter...

But what do you think is the best way of develop it? Building it from scratch or use the JavaMO as a base?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 06:22:10 pm »
The JavaMO could be used as a base.

-Thom

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 04:00:01 am »
I'm in for this 2  :)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 12:21:31 pm »
it seems the Android stack has its own unique problems, particularly that the phone itself cannot be an RFCOMM server, which is required by our bluetooth code.

-Thom

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 09:48:59 pm »
it seems the Android stack has its own unique problems, particularly that the phone itself cannot be an RFCOMM server, which is required by our bluetooth code.

-Thom

thom, check this out:

http://code.google.com/p/android-bluetooth/

Do you think It still will be a problem?  I was looking into the android dev resources and about to dig into a android  tutorial, but if it android is useless with lmce, i wont bother. thanks