Author Topic: Touchscreen HTPC case Thermaltake DH102 -- does it works ?  (Read 5068 times)

f54280

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Touchscreen HTPC case Thermaltake DH102 -- does it works ?
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:53:57 pm »
Hi,

I am planning to build an HTPC around an HTPC case that includes a 7" touchscreen. Does anybody have experience with the Thermaltake DH102 http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/desktop/dh102/vh2001bns.asp ?

Cheers,

--fred

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Touchscreen HTPC case Thermaltake DH102 -- does it works ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:48:05 am »
Unfortunately the way LMCE is built the touchscreen will use the only video output from the box. For a server in a closet it would be fine. But for a media system the touchscreen would either be dark or you have a second machine to play video. The driver for the touchscreen will be available in the system soon for what its worth.

f54280

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:35:02 am »
Thanks for the prompt answer. I figured through hours of googling that I will have trouble getting the things set-up the way I want them. It may even be impossible.

The main issue is that I have no TV in the home. The only video output I have is a video projector, which is only used for DVD/DiVX playback. I can't switch on the projector to play mp3s... Most multimedia hard drive I've seen need true video output. The ones that have a LCDs are small two lines display. I have found a model with a small bitmap display, but it is some asian product, and, frankfully, I have had too many bad experiences with that kind of stuff.

The ideal setup would have been a HTPC enclosure with some linux software, running the user interface on the touchscreen, so I could play music/internet radio/rip stuff or copy digital camera images without powering on the video projector. The nerd in me would have also installed other services on the linux box, which would have been some always on home-server.

Maybe a macMini + iPod touch as a remote would fit the bill. I could run linuxMCE on the Mac and use a browser on the touch to control the music... Won't be very sexy, but it could work...

f54280

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:26:17 pm »
I case anyone is interested about how it ended, I tried to see is elisa was working with touchscreen, but found the software very severely lacking (read extremely buggy and sluggish).

I ended up using an 32gb iPod touch and a altec lansing dock as a wife-compliant music player. Of course, it costs an arm and a leg, but makes for a simple no-brainer solution.

I'll probably use my remaining arm and leg to add a iMac mini with VLC for movie playback/ripping/digital camera/etc. Sucks to go proprietary on the OS, but I really couldn't get anything open to solve my needs.

Jazz911

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:50 am »
Unfortunately the way LMCE is built the touchscreen will use the only video output from the box. For a server in a closet it would be fine. But for a media system the touchscreen would either be dark or you have a second machine to play video. The driver for the touchscreen will be available in the system soon for what its worth.

I also was looking at this type of setup but just needed to run audio from it - would this work?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:58 am »
That configuration would work fine. However the drivers for that touchscreen are still flakey in LMCE. If you use an ELO or a 3M it all works pretty well and using UI1 as a music player works pretty well.