Author Topic: reregistering device - in Pluto devices IP range - HOWTO?  (Read 3229 times)

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
reregistering device - in Pluto devices IP range - HOWTO?
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:00:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

Doing some tests in order to get VOIP working, I connected a SNOM 370 to my network.
This SNOM phone registered with DCEROUTER on an IP# that is outside the Pluto devices range that was set up in network settings.

(I have 192.168.80.0 - 19 for server stuff;
192.168.80.20 - 128 for Pluto Devices;
192.168.80.129 - 200 for non Pluto Devices)

In fact the phone got 192.168.80.189.
Now I would like to reregister this phone as a nex device but within the Pluto Devices range.
How do I go about to free / delete the actual link between its MAC and this IP#??

I've been looking at /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf but can't seem to find the phone's IP#...

Thanks a lot!!

Erwin

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: reregistering device - in Pluto devices IP range - HOWTO?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 12:41:16 am »
Try changing the IP for that device in the web-admin, but be careful not to specify one already in use by another device.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:18:39 am »
Zaerc,

Thx for replying;
That's an option, but then this device will stick to it's already acquired IP#, thus falling in the range outside of Pluto Devices.
I'm not quite sure, but my problem is I can't get the VOIP phone to work in conjunction with LMCE (yet), and my idea was to try and do things via the Setup Wizard, in order to have the VOIP device autodetected...

Trouble also is that VOIP & Asterisk are totally new for me...
So I guess it's only normal that I have to bite through this stuff to start learning something about VOIP / Asterisk.
My idea was to first get intercom and local comm going, next connect inbound to local and local to outbound.
But I haven't succeeded yet.

All the tests with softphones I'v done till now, communicating directly with the VOIP provider work.
Trouble is getting Asterisk inbetween :-)

Do you know if there is any way to contact the FreePBX webmin directly (to have the whole screen to FreePBX itself) instead of having FPBX sitting within the Pluto webadmin?

Thanks for your input!

Erwin

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:19:30 pm »
If I understand what you mean correctly, the DHCP server is not recognizing your device, and therefore not giving it a 'Pluto Device' IP address.  In order to get Pluto to recognize the device, you have to create a template (or modify an existing one) to include the device's MAC address in the template's range of covered MAC addresses. Then, when the device is plugged into the internal network, Pluto will recognize it as a device of a certain type using the MAC address.  An example is on the wiki here, for the Cisco 7960 phone:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Cisco_7970

ISCO 7970 phone is plug-in-play device; LinuxMCE adds it automatically when it is plugged into the network. But first, we have to make some preparations. Run an Orbiter. Be sure that no others tasks are running. Check the DHCP setting of your phone. It should be something like that: "get IP via DHCP and no alternative servers". Check the range of MAC addresses:

1. Go to Advanced --> Configuration --> Device Template.
   2. Chose manufacturer CISCO. You should see in the right list at least two models: 7970 and 7960.
   3. Press the button 'Show model'.
   4. On the opened window check 'Range MAC addresses'. The range contains two big decimal digits. To get correct range for your phone first see its MAC address. A MAC address is six groups of two hexadecimal digits, separated by hyphens (-) or colons (:). The first three groups identify a maker. You leave them and fill the rest by 0 and F. For example, if MAC is 00:16:78:CD:01:D8 its range will be 00:16:78:00:00:00 - 00:16:78:FF:FF:FF. After that you should convert those two values into LinuxMCE representation. To do that run a script /usr/pluto/bin/convert_mac and pass the hexadecimal values as parameters:

/usr/pluto/bin/convert_mac 00:16:78:00:00:00
/usr/pluto/bin/convert_mac 00:16:78:FF:FF:FF

As result you will get two big decimal digits. Add them to the phone template and store.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:22:07 pm by PeteK »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:23:29 pm »
All the tests with softphones I'v done till now, communicating directly with the VOIP provider work.
Trouble is getting Asterisk inbetween :-)

Do you know if there is any way to contact the FreePBX webmin directly (to have the whole screen to FreePBX itself) instead of having FPBX sitting within the Pluto webadmin?

You'll have to configure asterisk to communicate "directly with the VOIP provider",and your (soft-)phones to connect to Asterisk instead.

In Firefox you can usually right-click the frame and open it in a new tab or window.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:13:43 pm »
Cool!!
Never new before....
Firefox secrets... Does it have more?

Thanks Zaerc, for this very usefull tip!

Right now I'm looking for:
- location of device templates (It seems there is a SNOM320 template, so I guess these MAC ranges should be okay, allthough I noticed there may be a difference in notation - just numbers or hexa (I'm not really good at these..) or it may be an error...)
- If I configure Asterisk to comm directly with VOIP provider, how can I test / see that this setup is functioning?
- An easy way, example or tutorial to connect a VOIP phone or SOFTphone for that matter to LMCE and get intercom working (I guess if the 2 previous work out, the whole will function..)

Thanks a lot!

Erwin

Erwin