Author Topic: squeezelite as an alternative to squeezeslave  (Read 16077 times)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: squeezelite as an alternative to squeezeslave
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 06:24:35 pm »
Actually it's all working quite well, I just need to deal with a postinst issue to prevent squeezelite from launching its' own daemon and it'll be a drop in replacement.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 07:57:18 pm »
This has been folded into 1204 now for anyone that would like to test and report back on results.  Thanks!

J.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »
Seems to work!

I still think it be nice if you add a proper description to the devices (maybe even the room). And an optional pulsesink selection. I did both in the code I posted previously (not the room though)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 05:14:52 am »
I still think it be nice if you add a proper description to the devices (maybe even the room).

Um?  No.  You can edit the device and describe it any way you would like, just like every other device in the system.

And an optional pulsesink selection. I did both in the code I posted previously (not the room though)

Heh.  Ok.  I don't see any code or feature patches to support pulseaudio anywhere in the system in trac anywhere.  And since we don't support pulseaudio I will not add specific pulseaudio code until the system supports it.  That being said: Have you even tried it?  Have you put your pulse:sink name in as the output device?  I don't think you've even tried it and from the squeezelite documentation it appears that it should work as is.

Look, I'm getting really frustrated that you that certain people continually complain about things without actually trying to do much of anything about it.  I work *really* hard here *for free* to try and support all kinds of things for people, including things that I don't use like the damn squeezeslave/squeezelite players.   So thanks for testing, I'm glad you're complaining that it doesn't slice and dice and make damn Julien fries at the same freakin' time.  I'm really happy that it's 'working' but not 'properly' becuase it doesn't describe the device to your satisfaction and that it doesn't support an audio subsystem that we don't support at all.

Despite my rant: Please let me know if the existing functionality, as intended, is working or if there are any issues with it because I want it to work properly within the existing system.  If you want it to do something it doesn't do then *please* open a feature request in trac.  Then feel free to provide proper svn patches to provide those features.  If you are unsure how to do that then *please* ask in #linuxmce-devel on freenode irc for specific assistance.

J.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 07:54:15 pm »
It's not really code just shell script I referred to:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=13714.msg99923#msg99923

Um?  No.  You can edit the device and describe it any way you would like, just like every other device in the system.
I mean the name squeezelite promotes itself with to the slimserver. That can be the description or whatever. It just a minor change which might help people when debugging.

Heh.  Ok.  I don't see any code or feature patches to support pulseaudio anywhere in the system in trac anywhere.  And since we don't support pulseaudio I will not add specific pulseaudio code until the system supports it.  That being said: Have you even tried it?  Have you put your pulse:sink name in as the output device?  I don't think you've even tried it and from the squeezelite documentation it appears that it should work as is.

I tried that when I created the squeezelite template and launchscript. The only option that is there beside the alsa options is pulse in general:
Code: [Select]
dcerouter_1039929:~# squeezelite -l
Output devices:
  default                        - Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
You can however specify the sink as an environment variable as I did in my launchscript.

Look, I'm getting really frustrated that you that certain people continually complain about things without actually trying to do much of anything about it.  I work *really* hard here *for free* to try and support all kinds of things for people, including things that I don't use like the damn squeezeslave/squeezelite players.   So thanks for testing, I'm glad you're complaining that it doesn't slice and dice and make damn Julien fries at the same freakin' time.  I'm really happy that it's 'working' but not 'properly' becuase it doesn't describe the device to your satisfaction and that it doesn't support an audio subsystem that we don't support at all.

I feel your frustration. I spend just a fraction like you do and all my efforts towards most linuxmce things (like squeezelite) are wasted time since they are not used anyway. Back then I tried to create a separate device for squeezelite but could not get Linuxmce to recognize it as media playable device and stopped trying just because I felt it would end up as not being used anyway.

Since pulseaudio is on the list of wishes of some devs I thought that something small as supporting a pulsesink would not be a problem since it does not influence normal behavior although I understand it has zero priority.

But heeee J.... all your efforts are very much appreciated! We all love ya.  :-*

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 06:34:17 pm »
Please feel free to add to the existing launch script and submit svn diff patches to trac.  I don't plan on doing any pulse support directly until the backend of the system supports it.  That being said, if you want it for this device provide patches to trac to add that functionality without breaking anything existing.

Is everything else working as expected with the squeezelite players?

J.