Author Topic: Changing or adding pics in place of flickr pics  (Read 20013 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Changing or adding pics in place of flickr pics
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:44:12 pm »
I was wondering is there a way to change the pic feed from flickr to my own pics? I tried copying my pics to the public data picture folder but I still cannot get any to come up with my pics in place of some of the flickr images. I can pull them up if I go to view my pics through LMCE when I go to the pictures menu.
Core: Broken :(

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Changing or adding pics in place of flickr pics
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 04:48:21 pm »
I was wondering is there a way to change the pic feed from flickr to my own pics? I tried copying my pics to the public data picture folder but I still cannot get any to come up with my pics in place of some of the flickr images. I can pull them up if I go to view my pics through LMCE when I go to the pictures menu.

Unfortunately it's not that easy aparently, I have just posted a few hints in another thread, you might want to look at that.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:52:06 pm »
Thank you  I will take a look.

balyho0o

• View Profile
    • Flipout Design
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:54:40 pm »
Unfortunately it's not that easy aparently, I have just posted a few hints in another thread, you might want to look at that.

Ok I must be dim cause I can't find it. mind posting a link?  ;)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 11:18:23 pm »
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2628.0

I had to look for a minute there myself.  :)  It's far from a tutorial on how to do it though.  :-\
-- Anonymous

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 03:40:53 pm »
I have butchered the script. You'll need to change the source dir ($dirtoget) in the config section. It's hardcoded to look for .JPG files but you can change that (there are two references, just do find and replace).
I also added a bit in which ignores the images if they are less than 500px wide or high for quality reasons.

It's a hack though, and my first time with Perl, so don't expect too much finesse! ;-)

Chris

balyho0o

• View Profile
    • Flipout Design
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:39:40 pm »
Thanks for the script chris. Trying to get this to work now.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have posted a help wanted for someone who wants to build this so that a change in the directory that is used can be done via the control panel settings. See http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2713.msg13170 if you are interested in the bounty.

majkaj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 08:34:19 pm »

Sheesh... Someone should have told me it was hard to do... because I put my photos on no problem.  ;D

First, I moved the flickr.pl to flickr.pl.back.  Too many of the flickr.pl photos were just not appropriate for my 4 year old grand-daughter... plus I didn't care to see various people sitting on the commode.  So, by moving the flickr.pl out of the way, it will not overwrite what I do.

Next, I went to the directory where all the photos are stored by month... just under the 2007 year folder.  I removed everything below the 2007 folder rm -rf *.   Then I put my photos there, under the 2007 folder.  A few minutes later they showed up as wallpaper.  I didn't size/resize the photos... just used as they came out of my digital camera.  That's it.  It works.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 09:20:47 pm »
can an orbiter use the flickr screensaver or only the media directors?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 09:22:05 pm »
First, I moved the flickr.pl to flickr.pl.back.

Where is the flickr.pl located?

balyho0o

• View Profile
    • Flipout Design
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 09:24:48 pm »
Where is the flickr.pl located?
/usr/pluto/bin/

And the flicker pictures folder is

/home/public/data/pictures/flickr/

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:44:26 pm »
Nice work Chris!  And thanks for the aditional instructions majkaj.

That "tutorial" sure didn't take you guys long.  ;)
-- Anonymous

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 10:01:24 pm »
 :)
thanks for posting these instructions, this is almost what i wanted to do,

I was wondering though, can I just add my photos to the flickr directory and then them appear intermingled with the flickr ones? might give it a go a see what happens
Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64 3200, 512mb ram, Silverstone Lascala LC02B

3xMD
Biostar 200n, AMD Sempron 2300, 512

majkaj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 11:43:55 pm »
:)
thanks for posting these instructions, this is almost what i wanted to do,

I was wondering though, can I just add my photos to the flickr directory and then them appear intermingled with the flickr ones? might give it a go a see what happens

Yes, you can intermingle your photos with the flickr.pl downloaded photos.  I have done this.  I loaded 15 or so photos from my digital camera under the 2007 folder.   At first, I left some of the photos that the flickr script pulled but, over time,  I have replaced them with my own selections.  I logged in to MY flickr account, did a search on photos with a tag of landscape, downloaded what I liked, copied them to the 2007 folder.

Sorry that I was not more specific about where flickr.pl is located. I didn't remember exact directory locations (I am at work!)

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 12:39:25 pm »

Sheesh... Someone should have told me it was hard to do... because I put my photos on no problem.  ;D

Hmm. It didn't work for me! How strange!

Chris