Author Topic: Need Cheap MD any Ideas?  (Read 2921 times)

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Need Cheap MD any Ideas?
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:03:52 pm »
Looking for an MD between $200 and $300.

I would like a small form factor with DVI or Component out SPDIF and Gigabit onboard NIC, and decent onboard graphics or an open PCI-e for a decent Nvidia card. Cool and quiet would be nice since it will be in my main living space.

The media Director I have now cost way too much because I had to add the vid card, gig nic, and audigy4 card.

I searched the forum for what others are using and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks.

Regards,
Blair

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Need Cheap MD any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 11:53:12 pm »
I don't know where you are but I would assume you are talking US dollars....

I just put together an MD with Asus M2NPV-VM MB - this has onboard Nvidia 6150. I just added generic RAM (1GB - they didn't have a generic 512), Cheapest AMD CPU they had in the store (which happened to be a 4000+ dual core), a DVD drive (which happened to be a writer) and a Tsunami case.
This cost me just over $300 Australian which I am sure you could do much cheaper in the US.

You could also shop around and get less RAM (only 512 is used in an MD), a lower spec CPU, DVD-ROM only. This would bring the price down and allow you to purchase other bits which you MAY deem necessary like Bluetooth Adapter, Remote Control, Wireless KB/Mouse, Better (Quieter) case.

The MB supports everything you need - except I think you need an addon board for teh SPDIF out.

The Cool & Quiet bit is where it tends to cost more. My Case & Pwr Supply was $49 and is reasonably quiet and small (although it is full height). I am guessing you could easily spend $300 on Case + Pwr to get something better.

HTH
Darren

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:02:32 am »
I was hoping to get everything already put together. I can find a ceap bare bones and just add the pieces I need. I was hoping for an all in one solution like a small minipc like Aopens or a VIA HTPC that would work. I like the one from FIIRE but its a couple hundred out of my price range.

Thanks.
Blair

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 10:45:43 pm »
Darrenmason - which store did you get that kit in? I'm in Sydney - hoping to find a good, cheap (preferably local) store!