Author Topic: About to give up... alternative install routes??  (Read 4889 times)

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
About to give up... alternative install routes??
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:04:31 pm »
Please please please can anyone help me get this software installed?  I have tried:

1.  LinuxMCE 7.10 DVD - this would hang when detecting the wifi hardware (see my other post http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9732.0)
2.  LinuxMCE 8.10 DVD - this one hangs on step 6/6, when "detecting file systems" hits 15% (http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9733.0)
3.  Using GParted to create the disk partitions, then going back to (2), but I get the same result.

And now my wife is getting irritable and insisting I try a different software!

Can LinuxMCE be installed in any other way?  I need ideas!  PLEEEEASE help!

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: About to give up... alternative install routes??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:22:40 pm »
You can always use the regular Kubuntu install cd and follow these directions:  http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Installing_0810

But I don't think that will help, sounds like you've got a bigger problem.

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
Okay, I'll that a try.  Thanks for the quick response!

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 03:39:41 am »
I would strip down your kit to the bare essentials

it sounds like one of your pieces of kit has an issue with LMCE

firstly, do you have 2 nics?

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:56:37 am »
When i see the words "wifi hardware" under a core/hybrid install, my hairs are raising on my back.

Please let us know what you hardware is and how you have it setup?

As techstyle said you need 2 Network cards (NIC's) and the core should be your main dhcp provider.

Richard

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »
Before I tell you promise not to get funny! :)

Hardware is an Acer Revo R3610.  Yes to two NICs - one the built-in ethernet port, the other a USB to Gigabit Ethernet adaptor.  I'm not using the built-in WIFI.  Unfortunately there is no way to disable the WIFI card in the BIOS.  2Gb RAM, 260Gb HDD, dual-core Atom N330 processor.

Yes, I know this is an 'ickle machine for a hybrid, but I have no other MDs on the network yet so I reckon it should cope.

janka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:16:30 pm »
I'm not using the built-in WIFI. Unfortunately there is no way to disable the WIFI card in the BIOS.

You can easily unplug the WIFI card inside. Don't know if the machine will complain though...

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:14:36 am »
It most likely still thinks that is a valid NIC in your system, and it's highly likely this is messing up the install, so either disable it (unplug or in BIOS, wouldn't know why there is no option in there for it). Or....................................................

Dig a little deeper and make sure your Nic's are in the right order after installing Ubuntu

please google and search the forums here to figure that one out. If no answers to you, post your ifconfig here after installing ubuntu.

Richard

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:00:21 am »
Pull the internal wifi.

That machine doesnt have the balls to be a core/hybrid IMO. Everything glitchy slow choppy at 1080p in my experience... others seem to say it is enough.

Moreover, 7.10 is not going to recognize the internal nic, that whole nvidia forcedeth thing. Those things are kind of a pain to take apart btw... I always feel like I am 1 ppi from snapping something. but removing the wifi will not error anything out.

As memory serves... the way to disable it in the bios has to do with crushing the PCI IDE controller... I can't remember, but I remember it wasn't what I was expecting... but I just pull it and keep it in my never ending pile of stuff I hope will be useful one day.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:28:58 pm by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.