Author Topic: Failed to fetch pre-install-from-repo  (Read 5491 times)

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Failed to fetch pre-install-from-repo
« on: November 15, 2009, 01:40:44 am »
Hi all

Attempting to do a web install. All good up to running pre-install-from-repo.sh

Coming up with Failed to fetch error...... Could not connect to nz.archive.ubuntu.com:80. Will this be be caused by local mirror not having correct files? Can I force it to use something else?

I can ping nz.archive.ubuntu.com with no errors

Cheers

caddywhompus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Failed to fetch pre-install-from-repo
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:24:25 pm »
I also had this problem, and eventually CTRL-C'ed out of it (after waiting overnight for it to loop 10sec re-attempts) and re-ran the script.  The second run appeared to go thru smoothly, but after re-booting and running thru the AV Wizard my install is a black screen with only a mouse cursor.  So I guess what I'm saying is, this issue is not isolated, nor is it getting the proper attention.

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:44:08 am »
Thanks for the reply Caddy. I also waited overnight and tried again. pre-install-from-rep.sh worked fine but then I ran the next script and same issue.

Will give another go tomorrow see if any progress.

caddywhompus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:17:35 pm »
Last night I tried again, from scratch, to complete the install of 8.10b.  I used the internet install method, as recommended on this forum.  I was very careful to follow instructions to a T.  I even rebooted Kunbuntu after installing all the updates just to be certain that I was starting with a clean, working OS.

I got thru the pre-install script, no problem.  About 2/3 of the way thru the install script I get this:

E: Broken packages
#### Package pluto-orbiter failed (/tmp/tmp.DyXny10491) - We wait
10sec and tryagain - to stop retrying press Ctrl-C.

After waiting for awhile for it to get past it, I eventually killed it, and restarted the script.  The second run went thru without error, just like the first time I tried this.  After completing the script, and running the post-install I rebooted.  After reboot I get the AVWizard, then a bunch of software installation occurs.

After that, I get a black screen with a mouse cursor.  Nothing else.  F7 does nothing, the machine just sits.

I really think this issue needs to be looked into a little more closely.  There are too many reports of black screens for other reasons that the developers are lumping this one into the same category and not giving it any attention.

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:43:37 am »
As far as I know I didn't get that error but I'm also getting a black screen with cursor.

Newbie at linux etc so not really sure where to go with my black screen and cursor :(

Just to check... your not in NZ?

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:14:36 am »
Did you both try just giving it a reset when you got the black screen? I get it pretty much every time I install beta, and a reset usually sorts it out... not that I can get myth to work.

Tell a lie - I actually turn the machine off, and then at the PSU for 30 seconds, and then switch it all back on again, usually without problems.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:08:17 pm »
As far as I know I didn't get that error but I'm also getting a black screen with cursor.

On first install the orbiter my exceed 50 (max) attempts to load because the screens have not finished generating. So the system appears to hang.
A reboot generally will fix this issue.

HTH

Tim
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:13:38 pm by tkmedia »
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

caddywhompus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 09:13:57 pm »
I left it sit overnight with the black screen and mouse cursor.  It never resolved.

I have also rebooted it several times (about 4) to see if anything changed.  Again, nothing but a black screen and cursor.

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:42 pm »
I left it sit overnight with the black screen and mouse cursor.  It never resolved.

I have also rebooted it several times (about 4) to see if anything changed.  Again, nothing but a black screen and cursor.

Done the same with no luck. Any idea at which stage Beta2 might be released? Is it normally after the 'major, critical and blockers' are resolved?

caddywhompus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 08:19:12 pm »
Just an update to this post.

I tried the internet install again, this time pluggin ETH0 directly into my cable modem (bypassing my Clarkconnect box and transparent web proxy) and this time installation suceeded.  Now I just have the same "black screen" problem that everyone else is struggling with, but the box is up and running, and I can connect to it and access the web admin page.