Author Topic: DVD Jukebox  (Read 4047 times)

sunebeermann

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
DVD Jukebox
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:49:43 pm »
Hi

I have a Plasmon D480 DVD jukebox/library. its got 6 DVD-RAM recorders and can hold 480 DVDs. It's controled via the SCSI bus, and I know it's working with MTX. Does anyone know how to make the "Beast" work with LinuxMCE could be greate for ripping my dvds and cds to my mediacenter???

Best regards

Sune

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »
(1) a new device template would need to be made, based on the PowerFile C200 template.
(2) /usr/pluto/pnp/Powerfile.sh needs to be modified to detect the SCSI name of the drive

I think that's it.

-Thom

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:46:32 am »
I'm all for further jukebox development, but FWIW, be prepared to rip your media disc by disc. Maybe it's just my unit, but I had nothing but trouble with my Sony VGP-XL1B and now it just collects dust. I found it to be much more efficient to just put 4 dvd drives in my core. Even if you get around all the timeout issues, unattended ripping is flawed because lmce only decrypts CSS, not ARccOS or RipGuard. Unfortunately, discs encrypted with anything other than CSS do not get skipped; they just cause the ripping process to choke.

On the other hand, if you already know or are willing to spend the time investigating what encryption scheme each of your dvds uses, you could throw all the CSS dvds in the jukebox and rip the rest manually.

:Matt

sunebeermann

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:41:36 pm »
Okay I took a look at the code in the Powerfile.sh

But I have no idea of what I am looking for, what do I need of information from the Plasmon? and how to add it?

Sune

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »
The code in Powerfile.sh calls MessageSend to send Device Detected messages back to the DCE Router.

You may want to look at the MessageSend page on the wiki for more information on its parameters.

But as you can see, it detects based on the name of the unit as reported back from lsscsi. You'll need to add code in that file to key off it, and send a device detected message for your new plasmon device template.

Look at the device template for the VAIO VGP-XL1B and build one like it. Also look at the Powerfile C200 template.

-Thom