Author Topic: Recommended configuration?  (Read 6472 times)

igno

• View Profile
Recommended configuration?
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:26 pm »
Hi,

Could somebody please advise on recommended PC specs for having linuxMCE properly installed from the first try?

It really looks nice in demo video that everything works in just <1h, however in practice it doesn't seem to happen. I got basic UI1 working, but then there are issues with some divx files disapearing and stuff like that.

So, what kind of magical config did you use on demo video?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended configuration?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:20:58 pm »
keep in mind that that is an old release using hardware that is no longer on the market. it worked great then, but finding linux-friendly hardware is always a moving target.
Things are much better with the 0810 pre-releases, but the installation process is currently quite lengthy (should have a dvd available soon). your best bet is to research what people have been using for hardware with 0810 and target that. In particular the motherboard and video chipset. There are quite a few motherboards nowadays that have embedded nvidia video adapters on them that work great. I myself use the Asus M3N78-EM.

igno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »
Well, I mean, after that "nice" comparison with Windows MCE in demo video and clearly trying to show that Linux MCE is much better, easier and whatsoeverelse, wereas WindowsSUX, stating that hardware is not usually linux-friendly ... Well, I have quite long experience with Linux in general and I must say that hardware used is perhaps 100% compatibe (at least no probs with other Linux based MCEs), however LinuxMCE both DVD and this 0810 pre-alfa-beta-gamma work only in basic UI and "disapearing files" is not a GPU issue ...
As for the no longer on the market hardware, it is not a big deal to find anything here, so please, state what was used ...

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:28:53 pm »
Basically, the graphics requirements for UI2 are fairly specific - so pick a modern nVidia GPU (something in the 7/8/9xxx range) and remember to update to one of the later nVidia drivers after installing. Don't use the UI2 Blended, use UI2 masking, so as to avoid any potential video tearing issues. Pretty much any sound hardware that is compatible with recent ALSA drivers, and most NICs that are compatible with recent Linux kernels and you should be fine. LMCE does not require huge CPU or RAM. Finally, setting up your core using the correct dual-NIC topology is important.

As for media files "disappearing", that is nothing to do with your hardware. Its probably just a lack of meta-tags and/or not using the LMCE folder structure and/or not choosing Filename sort mode, but without an exact description of your problem I cannot help any further.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:34:14 am »
disapearing media could also be down to:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7636.0

it has affected me in 0710, not sure about 0810 haven't made the switch yet.  My wife uses the system daily and I would be sleeping outside if the system goes down for more than I few hours while I upgrade

igno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:23 pm »
Would this make a nice config:

having separately a core:
Dual Core 1.6Ghz + 3GB Ram + Some sh##ty ATI Radeon Mobility (whatever it is)

and a MD like this:
Packard Bell Imax Mini
CPU: 1,60Ghz (512KB Cache)
RAM: 2GB DDR2
HDD: 250GB (5400RPM S-ATA)
VIDEO: NVIDIA ion (256MB shared + HDMI)
Sound: Realtek ALC 662

I mean it looks nice and cheap, but would it make a proper MD (without any special hacks and stuff like that)?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:27:58 pm »
Would this make a nice config:

having separately a core:
Dual Core 1.6Ghz + 3GB Ram + Some sh##ty ATI Radeon Mobility (whatever it is)

and a MD like this:
Packard Bell Imax Mini
CPU: 1,60Ghz (512KB Cache)
RAM: 2GB DDR2
HDD: 250GB (5400RPM S-ATA)
VIDEO: NVIDIA ion (256MB shared + HDMI)
Sound: Realtek ALC 662

I mean it looks nice and cheap, but would it make a proper MD (without any special hacks and stuff like that)?

The Core will probably be ok...but with ATI I would suggest sticking to UI1 to avoid any headaches.

The Packard Bell is a rebadged Acer Revo so will be fine...but search the Forums here for the steps needed to add a Revo to a 710 installation. 0810should not have those issues.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

igno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 02:47:02 pm »
Well, I was assuming that Core will not show any media and will be hidden somewhere ...
The only thing that makes me worried a bit is that this Packard Bell thing has no DVD/CD/etc, so it will perhaps have to be booted from network or something. Is there any USB-boot installation method?

igno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:49:04 pm »
Another thing that worries me is that 1.6Ghz ... Would it be enough for MD?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:29:26 pm »
MDs always boot from network, so no worries there.
And yeah, you will not be able to play very high bitrate videos with that cpu. You can however put in a 8xxx-9xxx series nvidia card and install the vdpau accelerated mythtv stuff at least.

igno

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:34 pm »
hmm ... would this one make a better MD:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core (2.7Gz)
RAM: 2GB (DDR2)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GF 9200 (895MB shared + HDMI)
etc ...

( http://www.gigantti.fi/product/tietokoneet/poytatietokoneet/IMEDIA2530NCD/packard-bell-poytatietokone?Selected=Specifications#tProductTabcontent )

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:37:04 pm »
MDs always boot from network, so no worries there.
And yeah, you will not be able to play very high bitrate videos with that cpu. You can however put in a 8xxx-9xxx series nvidia card and install the vdpau accelerated mythtv stuff at least.

If the unit is a rebadged Revo, then it already has an nVidia 9400M in it which is more than sufficient for .264 and high bit rate video

igno

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »
Well, that first one has this ION thing, whatever it is. NVIDIA claims that it is quite a cool piece, however it clearly states that 9200 sux ...
I believe that I should just try ... It seems that linuxMCE is such a project, that nobody really knows what will work and what will not, which brings to the idea of non-stable thing ... I'll give it a try and if any of those beasts will work as it is stated in the demo, I will let you know. If not, I will just use some other MCE thing for linux. (Surprisingly, my current one works even with ATI Radeon Mobility shit, even though it is Linux based ... I will not name it here, of cause, but it just means that there is a long way to go for LinuxMCE project)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 01:33:42 am »
I don't know where you get the 9200 from, the ION platform is a 9400M. If the GPU is not a 9400M then it isn't an ION platform. Its that simple - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_ION

However, the 9200M GS is actually faster than the 9400M - _neither_ could be described as "sux" you seem to be just regurgitating unsubstantiated rumour! Both will provide a video platform that will admirably run the UI2 Masking interface for LMCE, and both are compatible with the VDPAU API that will give LMCE full HD 1080p video acceleration for the 264 codec even with high bit rates.

If you read any of the forum commentary and articles on the wiki, you will find that any nVidia GPU in the 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx and 9xxx range works fine with LMCE, and nVidia is the brand of choice. If you choose something else, then that is your own look out, and that can hardly be associated with LMCE!