Author Topic: Multiple USBUIRT's  (Read 10433 times)

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Multiple USBUIRT's
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:35:39 am »
OK I am at the wits end again.  I have a bit of an unusual configuration.  The core/hybrid is in a machine room with 4 Directv H21-200 HD receivers.  The receivers are then coupled with 4 TV's throughout the house via component cables.  Yes, the house was designed for this initially and I did not have much say in the matter.  The problem is that I have 4 USBUIRT's connected to the core/hybrid and they all fire off at the same time sending commands to all 4 satellite receivers and changing the channels on every one.  Is there any way to select which USBUIRT transmitter is used for each room?  This thing is driving me to drink.  The USBUIRT's all have USBUIRT 0038 as their parent.  I sure hope there is a way around this.  I guess I could get 4 media directors with one usbuirt on each and set it up that way but it would be pretty expensive.  All I want to do is change channels etc on the cable boxes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Randy

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple USBUIRT's
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:07:54 am »
I can't comment on the USB-UIRT but you wouldn't need to setup 4 MD's. Check out the GC100 device, it has multiple IR ports all individually addressable.

gadget

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:59:09 pm »
Technically, the system is designed to use one MD per room. That being said, there are workarounds (which are not considered supported configurations). It does depend on a number of factors in your setup, though. If all you are doing is using the core for direct a/v control of the receivers, you are better off getting an ir distribution system from Xantech or the like and sticking with the DirectTV remotes. Are you using MythTV? How is the core connected to the tv's? Are you using a vga or hdmi to component converter and sending the signal through a distribution amp? Do you just have the core connected to one monitor? A diagram of your setup would be very helpful in answering your question.

FYI - a component distribution amp and an ir distribution system would end up costing in the realm of $500. You could build 3 brand new MD's for less than $650 shipped. My point is that if you don't already have the components handy for the former, you may as well get the MD's and have a TON more functionality AND a supported configuration. All you have to do then is pipe the IR from each UIRT's output jack over cat5 down to the machine room. If you would like any specific parts info just let me know.

:Matt

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:08:13 pm »
Yes, I tried the GC100 in the past with 7.10.  It would not work, but I understand that it is working in 8.10 so I will check into it.  I will get a diagram of the system I am working on.  I think that having one MD in each room is a definate option.  I can perhaps use one of the cat5's that I have to connect ir back to the machine room.

Thanks,

Randy

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 02:06:06 am »
I'm pretty sure you cannot control more than one USBUIRT from one media director/hybrid. The system is designed to have 1 MD per room. You can probably set up multiple EAs but its always going to send the same commands to all USBUIRTd on the same MD.

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 04:06:59 pm »
Thanks Colin it looks like I will be in the market for 4 new media directors.  I have 4 usbuirts that I will use on each media director I guess I will get the eee pc for media directors or is there something better on the horizon?  Thanks everyone for your input I hope to get this system up and running in the next couple of weeks.

Randy

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 12:45:42 am »
Yes, the Acer Aspire Revo. Intel Atom, 1GB RAM 8GB SDD but with the nVidia 9400M GPU.... vastly better graphics grunt, and with coming support for HD video hardware decoding you can get for GBP150 here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-R3600-Desktop-Intel/dp/B00292BR1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245537765&sr=1-1

In fact any new nettop type box based on the nVidia ION platform should be good. These are all just starting to roll now, so likely the prices will become even more competitive.

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 02:45:04 am »
Was it ever determined if the Revo actually has an optical out? There was speculation before it was released that the 3.5mm audio jack would include it, but I thought I read somewhere that the final version didn't...

:Matt

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 05:51:49 am »
I don't believe it does, I think you might be thinking of the Asus Eee Box, which includes an adaptor for the 3.5mm jack.... but Totallymaxed can confirm as they have some of these devices. Either way, the focus, I believe is on HDMI Audio, which they have already got working. This allows for the far higher banwidth require by some HD sources such as BluRay.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:33:30 am »
A quick note:
The advantage of the GC100 route is, that you can define each GC100 to be in a separate room. That way, on your Orbiter, you can easily switch rooms, and have the GC100 control the relevant pieces. I would buy a single GC100 per receiver plus a single GC100 per TV set. Expensive, but rock solid.

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
  • Technology. Simple. Hidden.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Lifestyles, LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 04:34:42 am »
rndinokc:

Save your money! Use an IR router instead! Xantech makes these and they are a lot cheaper than multiple MDs (and take up less space at the same time). Check here: http://www.xantech.com/Controls/ControllersSwitches/Routers/RT8/
and here: http://www.xantech.com/Controls/ControllersSwitches/Routers/RT16-10/

You will have to add the IR routing to all of your normal IR commands to route the command before it's sent. It's a roundabout way, but it makes your installation smarter in the long run. If I were you, I would accumulate the hex code sequence (to include the IR routing commands) into a spreadsheet or database and enter it using the web admin. This way, if you ever need to adjust the sequence, change the outputs, or change your equipment, you can do it fairly quickly.

On another note, I wonder if one could connect USBUIRT units to remote MDs and maintain control of equipment local to the MD. Is this possible?

-W
What stays the same for every project no matter who is the client?

The Home!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 06:27:50 am »
On another note, I wonder if one could connect USBUIRT units to remote MDs and maintain control of equipment local to the MD. Is this possible?

That's what you are supposed to do with these. Each USBUIRT connects to a different MD to control the equipment in that "room". The routing option you mention isn't going to work, the limitation isn't in the IR blasters, it is in the logic that LMCE uses... a USBUIRT connected to an MD is assumed to be controlling equipment in that room, it can't be used to control equipment in other rooms.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 12:11:43 am »
not exactly.. of course each child of the UIRT can be assigned to another room. I've not tested it, but the device structure allows for such a szenario.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:54:53 am »
not exactly.. of course each child of the UIRT can be assigned to another room. I've not tested it, but the device structure allows for such a szenario.

I tried it a couple of month ago without success.

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
  • Technology. Simple. Hidden.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Lifestyles, LLC
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:05:47 pm »
colin,

It WILL work. Add the routing commands to the IR database and adjust the scenario's commands in the webadmin. The other method is too ugly to offer here.
What stays the same for every project no matter who is the client?

The Home!