Author Topic: Easiest way to copy data from NAS to MCE machine  (Read 3005 times)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Easiest way to copy data from NAS to MCE machine
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:35:21 am »
Hi;

I have nearly got my mce machine up and running and would like to copy across my mp3s / video files from my nas to my second hard drive in mce.  MCE has the drive installed and running. 

The way i see it there are 2 options, do it all from kde then restart and hope MCE finds the files or,
somehow do it from within mce?

If i do it from KDE i am assuming i need to create the file structure /Public/data/video and Public/data/audio   ?

Can i get away with not adding the device in mce at all if i go the kde route? Or should i still add it via webadmin and then remove once done? 

I realise i could probably do either, but i am after "best" practise if there is one. 

Thanks

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to copy data from NAS to MCE machine
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:28:32 pm »
 :)
This may seem like a stupid question, and please take no offense, but why copy the data, when it can be played fine right from your NAS?

I do this and never seem to have any issues. Of course having the media right in your core, may yield some performance gains, but if you have a working NAS on the LMCE network, you should just be able to use it. And then perhaps save your 2nd drive for storing more media, in addition to what your collection already has.

Just a thought.

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »
Searching this forum is your friend ;)

Don't create the directory stucture yourself.

Linuxmce should detect the second drive and ask you wehter it should use the LinuxMCE sturcture - answer yes and you are done. After that you should be able to find the samba shares using \\dcerouter on an PC in the linuxmce network.

Then copy it from the PC using samba to the Linuxmce server.

Or just setup your NAS to DHCP (client) and insert it in your Linuxmce network.  It should then be detected and same question as above is asked. The answer is the same ;)

Greetings
Viking
Greetings
Viking

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:32:43 pm »
Not a stuipid question at all.  I dont want to have to connect my laptop and netbook to my MCE machine just to access the files on my NAS.  My NAS normally sits in the back of my wireless router and is mounted from fstab whenever either machine connects.  The way i see it, i am better to keep this setup rather than use the MCE network to direct all of my internet traffic.  

It also means i dont have to worry too much about security on my MCE machine as I use my NAS to access my files when away from home (port forwarded off my router).  I feel this is a simple solution in place of forwarding to MCE, MCE internal network to NAS then back out onto the internet.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:48:40 pm »
Thanks viking.  I may have acidentally selected not to use MCE file structure when i added the hard drive as it has no folders in it!  DOH! Is there a way i can change this roudn so MCE does use its file structure?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:54:21 pm by geekyhawkes »

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »
Thanks viking.  I may have acidentally selected not to use MCE file structure when i added the hard drive as it has no folders in it!  DOH! Is there a way i can change this roudn so MCE does use its file structure?

Disconnect your NAS, go into the devices in WebAdmin and remove the device that represents your NAS.  I'm not at home so I don't know the exact steps but it's fairly self explanatory.  I think it's something like Wizard > Devices then click "Show devices tree" at the bottom of the left column.

Once the device is gone from LMCE, reload the router, reconnect your NAS and let LMCE re-detect it and you're done.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »
Thanks dale.  It was actually the structure on the internal hard drive, but actually all i selected was to make everything public so its fine.  The "motherload" is being copied as we speak, 45gb of music which is going nicely.  Not looking forward to the 250gb of video files to move!