Author Topic: OpenVPN  (Read 43921 times)

alx2k

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OpenVPN
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 11:04:57 am »
I find this idea very attractive! Maybe not for media sharing (I run ADSL, and maybe upload speed is not fast enough for video streaming) but for remote house control.

With the VPN running, a vpn enabled router and a hardware ip to X10 (or any other protocol) controller, It might be possible to remote control your holiday apartment lighting, heating or window blinds, or even have IP cameras connected to your main LMCE setup in that apartment that would trigger an alarm in your daylife home. Would this be possible?

Anyways, for those willing to have a remote MD on the other side of the tunnel, it might be necessary a HD based media director, Installing or starting a diskless MD through a VPN would take a lot of time to start.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 12:36:51 pm »
I find this idea very attractive! Maybe not for media sharing (I run ADSL, and maybe upload speed is not fast enough for video streaming) but for remote house control.

Anyways, for those willing to have a remote MD on the other side of the tunnel, it might be necessary a HD based media director, Installing or starting a diskless MD through a VPN would take a lot of time to start.
Think bigger...

A VPN between 2 Cores could open up the possibility to sync data between them. This could be done while you are not using the system or your internet connection has low usage. That way you could not only control your hollyday appartment, but you can still se your favorite TV shows or DVD collection when you are there.

alx2k

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 01:05:41 pm »
That didn't came into my mind, and it's great...
If this is included in LMCE, well... Take that WMC
LOL

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 02:20:05 pm »

Think bigger...

A VPN between 2 Cores could open up the possibility to sync data between them. This could be done while you are not using the system or your internet connection has low usage. That way you could not only control your hollyday appartment, but you can still se your favorite TV shows or DVD collection when you are there.

In theory this sounds good, and I agree, it should be implemented (any volunteers?). However, right now, the pipes are just not big enough atm. But in general, having linked LinuxMCE system, is something worth while.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 02:30:36 pm »

Think bigger...

In theory this sounds good, and I agree, it should be implemented (any volunteers?). However, right now, the pipes are just not big enough atm. But in general, having linked LinuxMCE system, is something worth while.

The pipes would definitely need to be big enough to shuttle data between two cores in completely different locations (especially if they may be across a large country or even in two separate countries).

As for implementing this into LinuxMCE, posde mentioned to me earlier that it would be best to make the script a new screen to the initial setup wizard where people can select what users to add and it would also allow for the other information to be entered in the initial set up (the same should be done for the Postfix install)... Any volunteers to implement this for OpenVPN and Postfix?

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
I agree that using vpn to link cores and share information is a great idea. Linking cores would be great for syncing user information, lights, climate, security, automation, etc. I would want to monitor and control a remote location, and receive alerts from the remote location. Also, the vpn pipe doesn't need to be active all the time. openvpn makes the connection within a couple seconds and the core should initiate the connection only when needed. A constant vpn pipe could impact your wan bandwidth, and piss off your ISP.

I am willing to help in any way I can.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 03:56:10 pm »
I am willing to help in any way I can.

Thanks for the work you've done so far donpaul and for assisting to work on this further. Thom and I will have a planning session to discuss how we should proceed with bring this idea to fruition. The first thought is to work on getting OpenVPN implemented into LinuxMCE. A wizard screen in the web admin should be created for that. Do you think you would be able to work on that?

Also, don't forget that we have an IRC channel that makes things easier to converse about these kinds of things. I don't want to move the conversation to IRC, but just wanted to let yall know about it... IRC chat room found information found here: #linuxmce-devel
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:10:35 pm by dlewis »

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 04:43:09 pm »
Yes, I will help as best I can. I'll need to find out how to get to and edit the code.

zug

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • High Tech Pad
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 09:09:04 pm »
I'll help if I can. I have loads of experience of Openvpn.
Z-Wave,  Peripherals, Licenced Media Directors and Cores now available with European-wide Delivery at www.hightechpad.com.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 10:02:15 pm »
The code can be retrieved with subversion, here:

http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810

you should put this in a place such as /home/src

The web admin bits are in the web/ folder. While source for various scripts are usually in src/BootScripts and a few other places.

-Thom

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 07:49:12 pm »
donpaul and zug, do you guys have all you need to get working on this?

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »
donpaul,

zug is working on some of this now... Please reach out to him to assist.

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 04:36:48 am »
LMCE with OpenVPN on a bootable USB stick? Just a thought. :)

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 04:46:45 am »
Lets work on getting it integrated first...

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 04:52:24 am »
Of course, I was just thinking out loud.