Author Topic: Video issues using BFG Nvidia 7600GT  (Read 6072 times)

UNi

• Veteran
  • Would you like Cheese with that Whine?
    • View Profile
Video issues using BFG Nvidia 7600GT
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:21:07 pm »
I've tried to install LMCE from the DVD, and then went with the separate components installation.  I've only seen the Flickr media and vertical buttons once....then it went away after I rebooted. 

I always just get static buttons on the screen.  I'm guessing this is due to my video settings...but how do I fix it?  I've run the Audio + Vid wizard many times and can't it to the correct resolution.  I've been through the FAQ, the Forums, etc.  I'm running the Nvidia driver and verified it through Pluto-Admin.  I also set it in Kubuntu, to use the Nvidia driver.   Should I get another Vid card?

The biggest issue is the static buttons.   

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Video issues using BFG Nvidia 7600GT
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:18:09 pm »
don't understand what you mean by "static buttons" can you describe the issue in a bit more detail? Are you using UI1/2/alpha/masking? Have you installed the latest nVidia drivers? What do you mean by "the correct resolution"? Is this a separate issue?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »
don't understand what you mean by "static buttons" can you describe the issue in a bit more detail? Are you using UI1/2/alpha/masking? Have you installed the latest nVidia drivers? What do you mean by "the correct resolution"? Is this a separate issue?

I guess he means UI1 when he says 'Static buttons'...

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:04:20 pm »

Andrew

Well those are supposed to be "static", so I still don't really understand what the actual issue is...!

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:42:56 pm »

Andrew

Well those are supposed to be "static", so I still don't really understand what the actual issue is...!

The actual issue I think is impaired communication skills... lets wait and see if Uni can explain his problem with a little more clarity... ;-)

Andrew

Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

UNi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:05:05 pm »
Sorry I couldn't provide a screenshot.  Here's what's happening.  I only got the cool vertical buttons and Flikr screen display one time and yes, I'm trying to use Alpha Blending.   All other times I only get a flat looking screen with 1 inch square buttons on it...not dynamic, but it does allow me to navigate media by clicking once with my mouse.  Is this because I have not correctly got Alpha Blending working?  I didn't try to download the newest Nvidia drivers, but I did try that before and it did not work with this card and I had to resort to vesa driver and VGA connection.   The best results so far I've got by enabling the Nvidia driver through Kbuntu, there were two listed there and I chose Nvidia, not nv.  Then I went into Pluto-Admin and made sure Nvdia 7000 was selected in there and chose HDMI, which I have to get working because I want to use the thinner cable through my wall...don't ask...  Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but when I rebooted, I lost the vertical buttons.

I am having major issues with this card working and trying everything suggested in the forums and the Video FAQ.  I'm not adverse to purchasing another card that will work right to get me on the road if necessary. 

Thanks,
Uni

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »
The drivers will definitely work for all nVidia 6/7/8/9xxx chipsets, your's included. The only joy you will get is from using the nvidia driver, not the vesa/nv drivers, this is almost certainly the cause of your problems. Also, it sounds like you have dropped back to UI1. Forget Alpha blending for now, just return to the AV Wizard on your next boot, and choose the medium interface (UI2 with masking). Then carefully follow the instructions in the wiki under Display Drivers on how to download and install the video drivers (try the latest drivers, and also the immediately preceding version of the drivers, just to make sure there are no strange bugs in the latest version).

The other issue, is, it sounds like you have been messing around with configuration in several places without really knowing what you were doing. Its possible you have screwed up some config somewhere you weren't supposed to touch. That could be difficult to fix up. Realistically, the only things you need to touch are 1) the AV Wizard to select the interface and resolution, 2) the nVidia drivers to install, 3) sometimes the xorg.conf file to customise things a bit, 4) very occasionally the nvidia-settings tool, perhaps to set vsync settings.... if you're messing around with anything else, don't unless someone specifically tells you to, or at the very least you keep a very accurate log of exactly what you changed.

Worst case, you may need to reinstall LMCE just to be sure you are back at a known point, otherwise you could be chasing your tail a bit. Either way, the 7600 chipset is perfectly fine, and works well with LMCE (albeit a bit of overkill) as long as you install the newer drivers, and follow the correct setup path.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »
I think he is trying to say that he some switched from UI2 to UI1 during a reboot.

Uni,
From your menu click on the button labeled "advanced" then select "Audio setup and video res" it will reboot and run you back through the AV wizard which is where you choose the menu.

UNi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:31 pm »
Yeah, thanks, I found that too on how to relaunch the wizard.  I'll try CJ's suggestions first and if that doesn't work I'll reinstall again. 

UNi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 04:30:14 am »
I gave up on this card after trying what was suggested...didn'twork, X crashed... and went with the BFG GeForce 7300 GS and it worked on the first try and with alpha blending.  I'm good to go now. 

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 05:32:22 am »
This may be a stupid question - but are you pressing F7 to bring up the menu?