Author Topic: Pluto, EPIA and Xorg  (Read 3246 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto, EPIA and Xorg
« on: March 28, 2006, 07:11:33 pm »
Hi all

with last .39 update I finally lost the possibility to get video out of my EPIA based hybrid.
Basically last upgrade erased all hacked xfree86 libraries that allowed me up to yesterday to look at movies and DVDs.
This way every time I start a movie I get a dark screen, 10 seconds of audio and then nothing else. Hybrid freezes and the only way out is to reboot.

Unfortunately those libraries are no more available on the web, so I had to quickly find another solution (you know ... who's gonna tell kids that no cartoons are showing tonight?:roll:).

Googling around I found this site (http://www.debian-desktop.org/doku.php) where debian packages of xorg are available also in apt repositories.

I installed xorg 6.8.2, and to my big surprise everything is back to work :shock:
If I knew in advance that this would be that easy, I would have it done months ago ....

There are some minor issues related to video resolution and on screen orbiter size (I'm really using it out of the box, no tweak yet), but the great news for me and possibly for all Pluto user with EPIA MD/Hybrid is that replacing xfree86 with xorg did not apparently break anything.

Given the fact that with xorg we can use openchrome drivers (that enable hardware mpeg acceleration), this sounds VERY interesting.

Will keep you informed about the updates.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto, EPIA and Xorg
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:24:28 pm »
Great news.

Please keep us posted... BTW which EPIA do you use ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto, EPIA and Xorg
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:48:00 am »
Hi Rob

I'm using a EPIA M10000 (CLE266).

Up to know I've been able to reproduce the "hand over", i.e I reinstalled all standard pluto packages an then moved again to xorg obtaining the same result (video is working).

I did not complete yet the full installation and configuration of all xorg packages (what I made is simply apt-get install xserver-xorg) and I did not deal yet with openchrome drivers (that have to be compiled against an xorg tree).

The above mentioned steps are my tonight schedule :)

After this I will try to figure out how to replicate xorg configuration to a diskless MD. I have a rough idea that I will have to chroot to the MD image directory and then perform the same operation I made in hybrid.

Of course any suggestion is warmly accepted and encouraged.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto, EPIA and Xorg
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:23:46 am »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
Hi Rob

I'm using a EPIA M10000 (CLE266).

Up to know I've been able to reproduce the "hand over", i.e I reinstalled all standard pluto packages an then moved again to xorg obtaining the same result (video is working).

I did not complete yet the full installation and configuration of all xorg packages (what I made is simply apt-get install xserver-xorg) and I did not deal yet with openchrome drivers (that have to be compiled against an xorg tree).

The above mentioned steps are my tonight schedule :)

After this I will try to figure out how to replicate xorg configuration to a diskless MD. I have a rough idea that I will have to chroot to the MD image directory and then perform the same operation I made in hybrid.

Of course any suggestion is warmly accepted and encouraged.

Regards
Marco

I've spotted on Mantis that something similar is going on :

http://plutohome.com/support/mantis/view.php?id=1947

Maybe you get in touch with guys...

I think that once Radu also talked about going into chroot and installing packets. But you may also prepare .deb files on that image and get into MD console and do that...

Regards,

Rob.