Author Topic: Building for 0810  (Read 66884 times)

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Building for 0810
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2008, 04:09:37 am »
Also, I'm sorry if I offended you at all, I really didn't think a name was that big of a deal. -elspic

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2008, 04:11:24 am »
don't worry about it. :)

-Thom

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:17 am »
Hi,

I installed the 0810 pre alpha, are we discussing 0810 related issues here or in the irc channel?

Dave

MediaEngineer

• Douchebag
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 05:18:01 pm »
Hi,

I installed the 0810 pre alpha, are we discussing 0810 related issues here or in the irc channel?

Dave

Somewhere with a permanent public record, like this thread gives, would be useful for everyone, even if we're not there for the "realtime" discussion. A forum discussion linked from the wiki would be good. I linked to this thread from the "LinuxMCE-0810 alpha0" wiki entry.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2008, 07:44:01 pm »
If you have issues, which are NOT in the wiki, you should do one of two things:
* put it in the wiki
* Open a ticket on http://svn.linuxmce.org

If you go the second route, make sure, there isn't a ticket there already. Also, make sure to check back on your ticket. Sometimes we need additional information.

Thank you.

rgds
Oliver

skatingn330

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2008, 08:16:20 pm »
I already have kubuntu 0810 64 bit installed, will there be negative results for sure if I attempt the Linuxmce alpha?? Or is it possible to install 32 bit mce on top of a 64 bit kubuntu... i am thinking its impossible. Let me know guys. thanks
Asus m3n78-pro
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2.60 GHz
250 gig sata drive x2
Sata Dvd-rw
4 gigs ram
usb-uirt
LinuxMCE 7.10 32 bit
Vista eternity 32 bit

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2008, 08:40:58 pm »
I already have kubuntu 0810 64 bit installed, will there be negative results for sure if I attempt the Linuxmce alpha?? Or is it possible to install 32 bit mce on top of a 64 bit kubuntu... i am thinking its impossible. Let me know guys. thanks
Only one way to find out... and alpha1 has binary packages for amd64 too so no need to mix the bits.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

skatingn330

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2008, 01:44:58 am »
i'm stuck after running the first script

matt@matt-htpc:~/Documents/new-installer$ sudo ./pre-install-from-repo.sh
E: Type 'http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/deb' is not known on line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: Type 'http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/deb' is not known on line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.                                                               
./pre-install-from-repo.sh: Error installing dpkg-dev     

I noticed http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/deb link is gone so i tried this

E: Type 'http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/lmce-alpha1/binary-amd64/ansi2html-source_2.0.0.44.0811300000_amd64.deb' is not known on line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: Type 'http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/lmce-alpha1/binary-amd64/ansi2html-source_2.0.0.44.0811300000_amd64.deb' is not known on line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

I need some help
Asus m3n78-pro
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2.60 GHz
250 gig sata drive x2
Sata Dvd-rw
4 gigs ram
usb-uirt
LinuxMCE 7.10 32 bit
Vista eternity 32 bit

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2008, 03:07:07 am »
i'm stuck after running the first script

I noticed http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/deb link is gone so i tried this

I need some help

Looks like your /etc/apt/sources.list file is messed up.
-- Anonymous

PSM

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:54 am »
Alpha1 works for me on a virgin Kubuntu 0810. mce-install.sh takes a long time to do everything, but after reboot and some more waiting UI1 comes up without a hitch. Have to try with UI2 still. Issues so far: WMCE uirt is not recognized. Audio CDs don't play: 'Unrecognized Disk'. DVD does the same., but could be related to absence of libdvdcss2. All internal hardware is recognized and in working order, including the built in ethernet ports, the Nvidia DVI, SATA, etc, etc. That is a big improvement over 0710!
Jetway JNC62K
AMD Athlon X2 4850
1GB Ram
4x 1TB SATA
1x 250 GB IDE
1x DVD R/W IDE
WMCE UIRT
Kubuntu 8.10 i386

wsuetholz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 04:17:01 pm »

Do a google search for installing 32 bit apps on 64 bit ubuntu, there are documented steps that are needed to be taken in order to get the 32 bit libraries set up.  Once that is done, you can install 32 bit programs on a 64 bit ubuntu system.  Kubuntu == Ubuntu in this instance, since the steps needed are the same, don't limit your searches to just kubuntu!

That being said, as the people most familiar with LMCE have already indicated in this thread and other threads, you don't really gain anything by using 64bit compiled code for LMCE.  I didn't notice anything except more disk space required for the OS, things didn't seem to be any faster with 64bit OS vs 32bit OS.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:02 pm »
Alpha1 works for me on a virgin Kubuntu 0810. mce-install.sh takes a long time to do everything, but after reboot and some more waiting UI1 comes up without a hitch. Have to try with UI2 still. Issues so far: WMCE uirt is not recognized. Audio CDs don't play: 'Unrecognized Disk'. DVD does the same., but could be related to absence of libdvdcss2. All internal hardware is recognized and in working order, including the built in ethernet ports, the Nvidia DVI, SATA, etc, etc. That is a big improvement over 0710!
You can install libdvdcss2 in alpha1 as follows:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2And while you're at it you might want to grab the windows codecs as well:
sudo apt-get install w32codecsOr if you use 64bit:
sudo apt-get install w64codecs
-- Anonymous

MediaEngineer

• Douchebag
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 05:26:44 pm »
There are now two alpha versions of LMCE 0810, alpha0 and alpha1. There are two wiki pages, one for each alpha version: alpha0 and alpha1. But they're hard to use or follow, because the old alpha0 page is more detailed, and the alpha1 page even just points to the alpha0 page for a shared list of known problems. There is no indication whether those problems have been fixed in alpha1, or whether they exist in alpha1 but not alpha0, according to the current pages structure.

I combined the two pages into a single page that documents the LMCE alpha versions, alpha, keeping all the info from the old pages. Once testing moves to beta, we can have a separate page for that beta series of versions, if it makes sense then. I combined the alpha0 and alpha1 pages, including each alphaN version in its own standalone section. I copied the known problems forward from the alpha0 page into the alpha1 section, but revised the "Confirmed by" note for each issue to indicate the version that issue was last confirmed in (alpha0). Since all known issues were collected in the alpha0 page, the versions noted a report or confirmation in the alpha1 section are all "a0", since there's no way to tell whether they were noted in alpha1. Going forward we can note the issues in the correct version's section, so we know whether an issue survives. Confirming the fix in the "Confirmed Working" section will make the status more clear.

Please comments here in this thread if you're interested in this wiki revision. Please let me know if there's a better way to do it. Once discussion has settled down, I'll link the old pages to the new one, and probably remove the old ones in favor of the new one.

Thanks to everyone who's working through these development issues and producing the info that's making it to the wiki for everyone else to use.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:28:07 am by MediaEngineer »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2008, 06:54:36 pm »
fantastic... thank you so much, for doing that.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 07:22:30 pm »
Instead of copy/pasting 2 wiki pages together, it would be way more helpful if you actually tried the alpha1 release and shared your own experience.  There is no added value in lumping these together whatsoever.
-- Anonymous