Author Topic: Transfer video through LinuxMCE Admin?  (Read 3673 times)

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Transfer video through LinuxMCE Admin?
« on: October 03, 2008, 01:40:17 am »
Is there a way to transfer a video file from one computer using the LinuxMCE Admin web interface to the core?  I have a video on a computer that is not connected directly to the core.  Can I log into the core using the LinuxMCE Admin Web interface from the machine with the video and transfer it to the core?  I am able to log on from the non linuxmce computer, but I don't see any options in the web interface to transfer files, is there a way?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer video through LinuxMCE Admin?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:00:08 am »
Is there a way to transfer a video file from one computer using the LinuxMCE Admin web interface to the core?  I have a video on a computer that is not connected directly to the core.  Can I log into the core using the LinuxMCE Admin Web interface from the machine with the video and transfer it to the core?  I am able to log on from the non linuxmce computer, but I don't see any options in the web interface to transfer files, is there a way?

I just use the Samba shares to copy videos into the system.

My Core has two 500GB drives. Some stuff goes on the main drive, and some stuff goes on the second drive.

From my Windoze machines, I just use the network neighbourhood, and ensure they are set to the LinuxMCE workgroup. When I open a share, I'm asked for a username and password, so I use the name and password that I entered when I initially set up the system. My better half her own account so uses her credentials to access the shares.

From my Ubuntu machines, same thing. Places > Network > DCEROUTER.

Drag all you want.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:01:25 am »
Todd

The first point I would make is that the whole point of LMCE is that it gathers together all your sources of media and presents them in a single common interface so that you can access them and play them from where they currently are. So you shouldn't need to move the video file to the core if you want to play it.

However, if there is some other reason for doing this, then yet it is very easy to use the admin web site (or even just a command line terminal) to do what you want.

I will assume that your LMCE core has already discovered the other PC where the video file is, and has added the share that includes that media file.

In which case, you simply go to the Files & Media menu and choose Media Files Sync. In the left pane you will see the media folder structure as LMCE sees it. Navigate into the first folder which I'm assuming will be Video. Under that you will see all the shares that have been added from remote PCs including the PC where your video is located. Click on that - you will then see the folder structure that is on your other PC. Navigate to the file you want to move.

Now click on the file in the right pane to display its properties. Near the top of the right pane you will see a Move button. Click that. It will open a pop up window, which you can then navigate down through the folder structure again, but this time don't go into one of the share links, stay just under the video folder and click to select that destination.

You can also do the move at the Linux command line using the same folder structure under /home/public/data.... or on the Windows PC by using Network Neighbourhood and navigating into the LINUXMCE workgroup and using just the normal drap'n'drop method - however be aware that these methods will not update your media database automatically. LMCE will perceive the file at the new location as a new video file and in due course update the database with its presence, but not with any tags you may have set in its old location; also it will believe that there is still an old copy in the old location that is "missing" so it will hide it. It is easy to use the admin site to clean up that old copy and to retag the new. But I would still advise using the above method if you are only talking about a small number of files.

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:11:45 pm »
Thanks to all.

bashers

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:18:07 pm »
The only issue I ever noticed with this was to make sure you have no white spaces in the files title or the issue I found is that LMCE will see the file and will allow you to update it with fams but will not display the cover art and attrib. in the UI either in all or within your chosen media sub-type. By no white spaces I mean underscores in a more than one word title. IE Batman_begins, I also use things like "and" to replace "&" and do not use " ' " or weird characters as LMCE (sql) does not like these in the titles) at all.

Is this true?

i've got 10,000 tunes and several hundred videos in "reader friendly format" as in spaces and no underscores so they wrap properly within a file list or media player.
this could change the whole ball game