Author Topic: Flickering OSD / UI2 / Nvidia 8500 PCIe card  (Read 3677 times)

richard.e.morton

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Flickering OSD / UI2 / Nvidia 8500 PCIe card
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:19:12 am »
Hi,

I have built my system on a Intel q6600 quad core processor and Asus p5q MB (which I have got working pretty much out of the box assuming you update the bios to 1004, change a couple of BIOS options, have no USB devices plugged in duing installation, and after installation of LinuxMCE manually install the LAN driver... I will post a wiki when I am happy it is stable.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 8500 based PCIe passivley cooled graphics card; works fine in Kubuntu... LinuxMCE automatically installed the drivers (although it didn't ask). and I am using UI2 without a-blending.

When watching TV (I have a NovaT500dual DVB-T card, but no media on the system yet), and (trying to) use the OSD for playback speed / volume... it appears when I press the button on the Gyration Go air mouse, but when I move the pointer it flickers, doesn't respond properly and looks generally unusable and unsightly....

the main menus work fine (vertical scroll of option selected within a single pull-up menu is seamless, horizontal scroll between pull-up menus flickers slightly).

I have read that I could install teh latest NVidia drivers, but there are no instructions that I have found about how to revert back to the LInuxMCE versions if it fails... it walso says some LinuxMCE files will be overwritten, but doesn't say if these are just driver files or much more important stuff (why would they mention it if it was just driver files)?

any ideas?

thanks

Richard

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

richard.e.morton

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Flickering OSD / UI2 / Nvidia 8500 PCIe card
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:17:37 pm »
See: http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3787

Hi, thanks...
has no-one been able to resolve this, does rebuilding fix it?

just posted this...

(0006398)
richardemorton
09-05-08 09:59

I have same issue with GoMouse and Nvidia 8500 based graphics card.
When I installed the LinuxMCE system I had all USB devices plugged in, I noticed somewhere that someone said you should install Kubuntu and then LinuxMCE with no devices plugged in (which seem strange as it's supposed to be plug and play), and I have found no official documentation on this.

I would suggest that this is not a minor bug, it seems to be affecting quite a few users and pieces of hardware and makes the system unusable.

Thanks

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Flickering OSD / UI2 / Nvidia 8500 PCIe card
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:37:18 am »
I have an xfs 8500 gt and i had to uprade my drivers as well.  This should help http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6048.0   Don't be afraid to upgrade, if the driver install goes bad envy puts in the same driver i believe, regardless it puts in a working driver.  The driver install does change the kernel, BUT this is not a bad thing if you do it right.  DO NOT TELINIT 1!!!  Use cntrl +alt+ backspace, the kernel needs to be fully alive without x running or you may run into problems.  Hope this helps.

Crumble