Author Topic: DVI to HDMI problem  (Read 1636 times)

tehnoobie

DVI to HDMI problem
« on: August 17, 2008, 03:26:40 am »
I'm having a strange issue with DVI to HDMI.  When i use the avwizard and switch to dvi it works fine and reports that the setting is at 1080.  Then when the screen switches to rendering screens part the display turns to 620x480 or something like that.  The screen is unreadable making it impossible to change my xorg.conf and the resolution never switches back.  Is there something im doing wrong?  I spent alot of money on this stupid cable and converter some help would be greatly appreciated.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: DVI to HDMI problem
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 03:38:10 am »
Please don't spend lots of money on an DVI-HDMI "convertor"... there is nothing to convert, the 2 standards are the same signal for video, just a different connector - look it up on wikipedia. you can get connectors to convert between one and the other for a few dollars. And don't get screwed into buying the ridiculously expensive HDMI cables, its digital.... $15 gets you a 1.8m cable that works just as well as the expensive ones. By all means spend up on analogue cables, if you want (eg component) but not on HDMI.

Your problem sounds strange, but it is not likely to be the cable/convertor. More likely the x config or video driver. Start by looking at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file as this usually logs anything strange during X startup. Use another computer and ssh in, or hit Escape during the GRUB boot menu and choose recovery mode, then read that log file... or post it here...

rodercot

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »
Some Questions???

Is this a new install?
 Which Video Card are you using?
 What TV are you using it with?

I did pick up and hdmi cable three weeks ago That was DEAD out of the bag but I do not think that is your problem.

When switched to DVI/HDMI in the a/v wizard for the first time in every case for me - yes it would switch to 1080p in a 640x480 window everytime and yes it becomes unreadable. When the launch manager is running after the av wizard which you can complete. I hit ctl-alt-f2 to prompt login and install my video driver if it is Nvidia that usually fixes it.

rgds,

Dave

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »
Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Aquos.  During MD boot it would run 1080p but when loading of LMCE it would switch to 640x480.

In order to use native resolution of the Aquos (1080p) I had to edit the xorg.conf EDID settings (2 places).

The set then ran 1080p natively.

Cheers.

tehnoobie

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:06:01 pm »
@colinjones: i read the log file you told me to look at, there are some errors in there but nothing that would lead me to believe the resoloution wasn't set right.  I updated my nvidia drivers so im gonna convert to dvi again later and i'll post them then.  That log was mostly greek to me. ???

@rodercot : It's a reinstall, i like to play around with stuff but im getting tired of rebooting and fidgeting with things so now im trying to just make it work and leave it alone.  It's a Nvidia Geforce 8500gt pluged into a toshiba regza 42".  I happended to have another cheapy hdmi cable lying around so i tryed that and no difference.  After reading the manual i learned that this tv has three settings that need to be turned off in order for legacy hdmi devices to work.  I can only find one of them!  There is no sign of the other two!  Weird.

@pigdog : I'm starting to believe it's the tv, but as i stated above i can't find the damn settings i need to turn off.  If you would be so kind as to share your solution with me i'd be more than willing to give it a go.  What is EDID?

thanx for the replys
justin

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »
EDID is when the computer queries the display for its capabilities (resolutions etc)

Default for LMCE is "false". Change these both to "true" - you'll get much more info in that log file..

rodercot

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:24:15 am »
Justin,

If you are not sure what Edid is, Why do you not try and install the Nvidia driver which you can do from the prompt I told you to check out, it will install the latest nvidia driver and update with a new xorg.conf file for you and if your tv supports it give you full screen. If you search the wiki for Display Drivers there is a guide for installing the Nvidia driver from scratch and if you search here in the forums I made a couple posts with a guide to set this all up. It is in the installation section under Nvidia Drivers or Nvidia installation (solved)

here is a link to one, http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5398.msg31667#msg31667

Dave
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:32:21 am by rodercot »

tehnoobie

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »
ok, well the new nvidia driver did the trick!!!  But now my dvd playback is choppy.  I have the setup at 720p becuase 1080p was just too much for the computer.  I think scaling had alot to do with it though, not sure what the native display for the tv is yet.  Any ideas on the choppy dvd playback?  It got alot better when i switched from 1080p to 720p but still has alot of motion blur.

rodercot

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 04:59:29 pm »
Justin,

What driver did you install? 173.14.??
 What UI are you using.  ui1 -ui2 - ui2 Alpha??

Is your TV setup for fast moving images. My sharp has a setting for this I am not sure if the Toshiba does as well.

Dave

tehnoobie

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 05:54:17 pm »
im not sure off hand which driver it was i went to the nvidia home page and it brought me there automatically. I'm using ui2 without alpha, and im not sure about the tv i'll have to check it out, funny now that you mention it there this lip sync setting that i turned off.  Most of the the prob is with lips and anything that moves really fast.  I'll give that a try when i get home, thanks again for your replys. Oh and i found out that 720p is the native for that tv which explains why 1080p was not so good. 

tehnoobie

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 02:11:28 am »
ok so the setting on the tv made a slight difference but im still having probs with the dvd playback.  Changed alot of things so now im all out of whack.  Not sure what is supposed to be what, changed pluto avequipment decoder and anialiasing setting made slight difference.  changed nvidia-settings at root and user makes a big difference when gpu isn't scaling.  Couple things i noticed is that my native res in pluto  says it's 640.x480 when it should be 720p, there is no difference if i rip the disk to the drive and play it from there.   I've got it to the point where dvd playback is only bad when some thing moves real fast then there will be a line in the middle of the screen.  I used to get the same thing in mythtv but i changed the decoder and deinterlacing setting and everything is fine.  Is there a xine player preference screen where i can try some settings? am i using xine player to play dvd's?  Also there are lines down the screen (very faint) that will change there location when i play a dvd.  I have no idea what that could be.  Another thing is that i have my dvd slaved to my drive, i read that can be a performance issue.  If that is true why when i rip the dvd the same thing happens?  errr oh and my machine keeps using up all the ram.  I have two gigs, when i start the machine i have more than one free.  By the time i have done a couple of things i have 59megs left.  This wasn't happening when i installed initially and to my recollection neither was the dvd thing.  I can't remember everything i changed either, whatever it was it made linux real mad.  I think maybe i'll just stick to trying things that people tell me to do.  :P

tehnoobie

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:31:10 am »
ok got it all figured out! it was the vga cable still plugged into the tv.  Once i unplugged that there are no problems whatsoever on playback.  woohoo!!!  Now if i could figure out why the dcerouter process continually climbs in ram usage im all set.  More info on that is it starts at 1.2 gigs and continually climbs until there is like 2% ram left then stops climbing.  The process is called DCERouter   command /usr/pluto/bin/DCERouter at 1,063,448  for right now.  I just booted up again. 

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 04:07:58 pm »
I'm not going to keep explaining how Linux uses it's memory, so you'll have to look up one of the previous threads about it.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous