Author Topic: Audio distrobutions  (Read 3348 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Audio distrobutions
« on: January 26, 2006, 07:18:14 am »
I have several zones that I want to work independant of each other.

Some zones have a Media Dirrector some have a sqeeze box. I want to use one amp that has multipule inputs and multiple outputs to power the zones.

For instance

Family room has a TV and Celing speakers. The speakers need power so I have the wires running to the basement where I have a amp that can power several zones. How to I make the media dirrector play the video while playing video over the speakers that are playing from the amp connected dirrectly to the Core.

Please help is needed right now. Does any one know what I need to do?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Audio distrobutions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:53:26 am »
sorry, i didn't understand ...
you want to power multiple zones with multiple streams, with one amp?
is your amp able to do that, and you don't succeed?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Audio distrobutions
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:26:02 am »
Quote from: "daddy"
I have several zones that I want to work independant of each other.

Some zones have a Media Dirrector some have a sqeeze box. I want to use one amp that has multipule inputs and multiple outputs to power the zones.

For instance

Family room has a TV and Celing speakers. The speakers need power so I have the wires running to the basement where I have a amp that can power several zones. How to I make the media dirrector play the video while playing video over the speakers that are playing from the amp connected dirrectly to the Core.

Please help is needed right now. Does any one know what I need to do?

Hi,

if I understood right: you have MD in family room (for instance) and its audio should go to basement through whole house amp to come back to speakers in same room....

That's a tough one. You have two options - either to run audio from MD back to basement for amplification, or maybe use Hybrid core and run Video signal from core to TV in family room.

I guess that sooner or later, we'll have to deal with logical and physical locations of devices in Pluto - I think that multizone audio with multichannel amps is first such scenario. You hear music in room A, but xine player for that room is located on MD (or Core) B, outputting on separate stereo channel through Alsa and going on zone audio amp - where ever this is located.

That's why I'm working on audio only Xine player and with some further support in Pluto system - this player could be located on any Core or MD in house, but logically delivering audio for particular audio zone in house...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Audio distrobutions
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 08:49:29 pm »
I think we are going down the correct path.

I have learned recently that there is one way things can be done with home automation and audio distribution.

I will have about 16 zones. I don't want to buy 16 amps. So yes I want one or two multi-zone amps in the basement. With the speaker wire going from the Amp through the walls to each room independent of each other. So one run of cables. And of course in the room will be a MD that will be communicating to the core over CAT6 or Fiber that will be connected to the TV or in some rooms I would be controlling it from an orbiter and may not have a TV and MD. So in rooms with a MD it would be doing the Video but the core is doing the audio?

But I want to avoid running speaker cable from the MD to the Basement then back up to the speakers. That is a lot of cable. I was more thinking along the line of having multiple sound cards in the Core pushing the audio to the amp and then the amp to the speakers. That way I limit the amount of cable that can go bad as well as prevent signal loss.

There are several products that I have found with Smarthome.com and Homecontrols.com that are able to control the speakers via cat5 to a wall switch that amplifies the signal and goes to the speakers. Could I do this type of setup? I am looking at the Speakercraft MZC-66 or maybe a Nuvo line both from smarthome.com

They both seem to send audio over CAT5 to the wall switch then amplify the signal and run it to the speakers. How would one go about doing that?

Would the core need several sound cards or can the core send audio to one IP Address and then the video to the MD at another IP Address?

I know it sounds complicated but I am really trying to make it simpler for the family. It may be ruff on me but that is ok because my wife will like it if it is simple for her to use.

Thanks again for any help and responses.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Audio distrobutions
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 09:37:49 am »
So in rooms with a MD it would be doing the Video but the core is doing the audio?

you can't do that, audio and video is output by md.
you can output video to tv and audio output goes back to basement into amp.
so for each md you have to wire audio to basement.

They both seem to send audio over CAT5 to the wall switch then amplify the signal and run it to the speakers. How would one go about doing that?

we don't support this device right now. we need to programmm it.
we support streaming audio over network but only with single streams (with squeeze box players).
it sounds like a good feature for media, i'll check to see if we can add support for it.
if so, maybe you can give us access to device and maybe the documentation.[/quote]