Author Topic: New ABC Internet TV Service: iView  (Read 3808 times)

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
New ABC Internet TV Service: iView
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:42:24 pm »
Hi All,

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (public broadcasting) recently launched iView that allows us to stream all their TV programs via the web.

Appears to have a pretty nifty interface even for viewing via a media centre and it has lots of useful feeds (news, docos etc). Works fine on my PC but every time I try on LMCE the browser crashes back to the main menu (flickr pics). Reboot didn't help.

Before I try and delve deeper, does this work for anyone else in LMCE?
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/

(not sure if it can be viewed outside Aus though).

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the flash version as the site recommends Flash Plugin 9.0124.0, I believe my LMCE has 9.0.115.0...? Don't see why this should crash the browser though...

Cheers,
WR

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: New ABC Internet TV Service: iView
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:33:53 pm »
hmm does look pretty cool are you just browsing to this in Computing? I can get through all the flash menus but it crashes back to the Computing menu as soon as I try to pick any media

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:51:37 pm »
One thing to note about watching videos using computing, The screen saver timeout or the power timeout kicks in so you need to change the timeout in the orbiter settings. Otherwise, the computing window goes away and you have to click computing and remote control to bring it back up.
It can be changed in the webadmin under orbiters.

This is how its been the last couple of releases, allthough I did it automatically this time so im not sure if it still happens.

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:53:31 pm »
hmm does look pretty cool are you just browsing to this in Computing? I can get through all the flash menus but it crashes back to the Computing menu as soon as I try to pick any media

I also have this problem on AdultSwim.com but not msnbc.com. I havent been able to figure it out just yet. My guess is that its a flash issue because where I see crashing in linux, it throws error messages on the same site in windows using firefox.

just my 2cents
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 02:45:35 am »

Yep - via computing. I got through the menu once (to actual Media), future attempts seemed tho crash before that. Also mine was crashing out of computing to the main UI... Actually This has happened with other sites such as youtube in the past but normally only after browsing for over an hour. I'll see if I can work out why on the weekend.

golgoj4 - thanks for the tip, I'll change this at some point but the above happens within a few seconds.

Cheers,
WR

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:10:33 pm »
It does appear to be for only those in Australia.  When I navigate there I get this message:
"Due to copyright reasons this video program is available for download by people located in Australia only. If you are not located in Australia, you are not authorised[sic] to view this video."

I am located in the U.S.A.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »
you can always count on old media completely missing the point of a global information infrastructure.

*hmm*

humanity sucks.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:30:14 pm »
It does appear to be for only those in Australia.  When I navigate there I get this message:
"Due to copyright reasons this video program is available for download by people located in Australia only. If you are not located in Australia, you are not authorised[sic] to view this video."

I am located in the U.S.A.

If you were selecting a particular show you may find this message is show specific depending on the licence ABC owns for it. You may be able to play the shows they produce themselves because they are usually more open (this is a public broadcaster) Their vodcasts are open I think, but haven't tried them from outside the country - abc.net.au/vod

BTW - "authorised" is correctly spelt in Australia, as is "licence!"