Author Topic: MP3 Ripping Failure - 710RC1 - Mixed 64 / 32  (Read 3379 times)

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
MP3 Ripping Failure - 710RC1 - Mixed 64 / 32
« on: May 05, 2008, 03:37:53 am »
I am having intermittent trouble on ripping CD's to MP3 under 710RC1 and I'm looking to see if anyone else is having anything similar or has suggestions.

The core is AMD64 all MD's are 32. 

All CD's play fine, but when I try to rip certain CD's are failing it is about 30% right now that are failing.  The ones that are failing will rip under ogg, but fail under mp3 (have even tried different bit rates.)  I have had one cd rip and one fail from a two disc set.  When looking at names, their are no special characters or symbols.

The folders are being created on the server, however the no files are ripped.  One of the files seems to start, and gets locked (but is empty).  The folder then can not be deleted until the core is rebooted.  Doesn't matter if done from core or MD.

I have verified that LAME is loaded on all machines.  I have gone into the add software and removed / added the codecs (wasn't sure if needed or not).

Thanks

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: MP3 Ripping Failure - 710RC1 - Mixed 64 / 32
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:39:30 am »
I am having intermittent trouble on ripping CD's to MP3 under 710RC1 and I'm looking to see if anyone else is having anything similar or has suggestions.

All CD's play fine, but when I try to rip certain CD's are failing it is about 30% right now that are failing.  The ones that are failing will rip under ogg, but fail under mp3 (have even tried different bit rates.)  I have had one cd rip and one fail from a two disc set.  When looking at names, their are no special characters or symbols.

The folders are being created on the server, however the no files are ripped.  One of the files seems to start, and gets locked (but is empty).  The folder then can not be deleted until the core is rebooted.  Doesn't matter if done from core or MD.

I have verified that LAME is loaded on all machines.  I have gone into the add software and removed / added the codecs (wasn't sure if needed or not).

Thanks

Hi there,

Hmmm... I guess that might be an intermittent fault on the optical drive. Its not clear from your post if all the rips failed on the same MD or if the failure is spread across all of your MD's.

So it might be worth swapping out the optical drive if the failures are on a single MD.

If that does not fix the problem then please Mantis it.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:13:51 pm »
I was actually different MD's, same disk tried from multiple MD's.

I will try again over the weekend to see if I can see what is going on.  Are there any logs that can be read through.  I'm just not sure where to look for the logs, or if I can up the logging level.

Any other help would be great.

If I can nail down some specifics I'll put it into Mantis, just don't want to make a vague post.

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:43:03 am »

Thanks

Hi there,

Hmmm... I guess that might be an intermittent fault on the optical drive. Its not clear from your post if all the rips failed on the same MD or if the failure is spread across all of your MD's.

So it might be worth swapping out the optical drive if the failures are on a single MD.

If that does not fix the problem then please Mantis it.

All the best

Andrew

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. Getting lots of CD rip failed.