Author Topic: Remote Login from Windows to LinuxMCE 0710 Beta 3  (Read 3903 times)

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Remote Login from Windows to LinuxMCE 0710 Beta 3
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:32:26 pm »
Want to use windows box (ME) to log on the LinuxMCE box to do problem resolution, tweaking from my desk.  LinuxMCE can get to windows shares, but windows cant seem to get to LinuxMCE.

Have Linksys router forwarding ports 22, 5900 - LinuxMCE box can see windows boxes, retrive files, can ping the windows boxes from LinuxMCE using IP obtained from router DHCP table. 

Have Putty on windows - try to connect to LinuxMCE but get timeout, try to ping LinuxMCE from windows using IP obtained from router DHCP table - no good. Windows network neighborhood shows Linuxmce and Mshome (which has all windows boxes in it) - cliking on Linuxmce gives message that it is inaccessable.

Anyone have suggestion on troubleshooting this?  Remote access into LinuxMCE sure would help with resolving a number of outstanding issues I am having with a fairly new LinuxMCE installation.

-Bill
------------------------------
System:
LinuxMCE - 0710 Beta 3

Motherboard Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Green nVIDIA Socket Am2 ATX
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0 GHz
Memory 8096MB Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Video Card -  GIGABYTE GV-NX85T256H GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 
Hard Drive  - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD - SAMSUNG SH203N SATA
HD-5500 Hi Definition Television PCI Card - pchdtv

Linksys Router WRT54GS

Windows ME
Putty

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Remote Login from Windows to LinuxMCE 0710 Beta 3
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:50:51 pm »
Want to use windows box (ME) to log on the LinuxMCE box to do problem resolution, tweaking from my desk.  LinuxMCE can get to windows shares, but windows cant seem to get to LinuxMCE.

Have Linksys router forwarding ports 22, 5900 - LinuxMCE box can see windows boxes, retrive files, can ping the windows boxes from LinuxMCE using IP obtained from router DHCP table. 

Have Putty on windows - try to connect to LinuxMCE but get timeout, try to ping LinuxMCE from windows using IP obtained from router DHCP table - no good. Windows network neighborhood shows Linuxmce and Mshome (which has all windows boxes in it) - cliking on Linuxmce gives message that it is inaccessable.

Anyone have suggestion on troubleshooting this?  Remote access into LinuxMCE sure would help with resolving a number of outstanding issues I am having with a fairly new LinuxMCE installation.

-Bill
------------------------------
System:
LinuxMCE - 0710 Beta 3

Motherboard Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Green nVIDIA Socket Am2 ATX
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0 GHz
Memory 8096MB Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Video Card -  GIGABYTE GV-NX85T256H GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 
Hard Drive  - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD - SAMSUNG SH203N SATA
HD-5500 Hi Definition Television PCI Card - pchdtv

Linksys Router WRT54GS

Windows ME
Putty

To allow external access via ssh from Windows using Putty you also need to open up  port 22 on the LinuxMCE firewall;

Web Admin -> Advanced -> Networks -> Firewall Rules

Now type 22 into the left hand text entry box under 'Source Port' and click 'Add'

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:14:50 pm »
To allow external access via ssh from Windows using Putty you also need to open up  port 22 on the LinuxMCE firewall;

Now type 22 into the left hand text entry box under 'Source Port' and click 'Add'

Thank you Andrew - that helped me!  I opened up 22 as you suggested but still did not work.  Then clicked disable firewall on same Firewall Rules page and that did the trick.  From windows can ping, putty login, clicking on LinuxMCE in network neighborhood now brings up the linux files etc.

So I must have something wrong somewhere - I was under the impression that it was port 22 that I needed but that did not work. By the way, I had seen port 5900 some in the KDE System Settings > Network & Connectivity >Sharing  - seemed like it was default port so I also forwarded 5900 in router and the Linux Firewall rules.  Only completly disabling firewall got me going.

I am really happy to be able to remotly login now, but I suppose I should sort this out so I don't have to leave the firewall disabled.  Any suggestions on how to find what I have wrong?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:33:27 am »

Thank you Andrew - that helped me!  I opened up 22 as you suggested but still did not work.  Then clicked disable firewall on same Firewall Rules page and that did the trick.  From windows can ping, putty login, clicking on LinuxMCE in network neighborhood now brings up the linux files etc.

So I must have something wrong somewhere - I was under the impression that it was port 22 that I needed but that did not work. By the way, I had seen port 5900 some in the KDE System Settings > Network & Connectivity >Sharing  - seemed like it was default port so I also forwarded 5900 in router and the Linux Firewall rules.  Only completly disabling firewall got me going.

I am really happy to be able to remotly login now, but I suppose I should sort this out so I don't have to leave the firewall disabled.  Any suggestions on how to find what I have wrong?

Hmmm... well something is certainly not right. On reflection of course you should not need to turn the firewall off to get to your Core from the LAN... you should only need to do that (or open port 22) if your trying to come into your Core's LAN from outside ie from the WAN (from work to your home for example).

Can you describe the setup of your Core's network interfaces and router/broadband connection (explain how each relates to the other in your current setup).

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:12 pm »
Hmmm... well something is certainly not right. On reflection of course you should not need to turn the firewall off to get to your Core from the LAN... you should only need to do that (or open port 22) if your trying to come into your Core's LAN from outside ie from the WAN (from work to your home for example).

Can you describe the setup of your Core's network interfaces and router/broadband connection (explain how each relates to the other in your current setup).

Well Andrew, you have helped me agian - Thank You!  Your comments and putting together the answer to your question got me to go over everything again and I found out what some of my problem is.

Yes, I am trying to connnect to LinuxMCE from a WindowsME both within the LAN in the house

Configuration is:
 - Cable > VOIP box > Comcast Cable box > Linksys WRT54GS Router

Linksys WRT54GS Router:
>LinuxMCE
>(via 802.11G wireless)> Linksys WET54GS5 Bridge > WindowsME
>(via 802.11G wireless)> WindowsXP

As you point out, the Linksys router does not need port forwarding settings for connections within the LAN. -- I took these out.

In the LinuxMCE firewall I had set port 22 for "port fowarding" - that did not work.  With LinuxMCE firewall setting port 22 for "core input" I can Putty and Ping from WindowsME with the Linux Firewall enabled.

However the WindowsME network neighborhood cannot see the LinuxMCE files with the firewall enabled.   Disabeling the LinuxMCE firewall permits the files to appear.

I had thought that I needed port 5900 opened in LinuxMCE for sharing but I guess it must be some other port.  So the remote login question is solved, still need Linux Firewall disabled to do file sharing until I can find solution for this piece of the puzzel.

If anyone knows what port to open up for file sharing that would be helpful.

Bill