Author Topic: searver question. sorry if i sound dumb.  (Read 2432 times)

unruelysock

• View Profile
searver question. sorry if i sound dumb.
« on: March 15, 2008, 06:12:03 am »
i know little about networking.  (if i could be pointed in a direction to learn more that would be great). 
what i want to do is this, tell me if it can be done. 
 can i set MCE up as a file server too so that on my windows boxes i can see the drives, store backup coppies of files, and get to media for itunes and media player?
Why Does LMCE have to be befor my wireless router?  can i not have it pluged into my router.  if every thing i get from the web has to run through the lenix box would it not slow down the bandwidth. to all other computers.

i like  lenix mce and want to use all its fetchers that part is going good so far.  i have set it up works great.  all ready had some x-10 stuff. life is good. need a remote and order a wintv card.

oh and what is a dhcp?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: searver question. sorry if i sound dumb.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:30:16 pm »
i know little about networking.  (if i could be pointed in a direction to learn more that would be great). 
what i want to do is this, tell me if it can be done. 
 can i set MCE up as a file server too so that on my windows boxes i can see the drives, store backup coppies of files, and get to media for itunes and media player?
Why Does LMCE have to be befor my wireless router?  can i not have it pluged into my router.  if every thing i get from the web has to run through the lenix box would it not slow down the bandwidth. to all other computers.

i like  lenix mce and want to use all its fetchers that part is going good so far.  i have set it up works great.  all ready had some x-10 stuff. life is good. need a remote and order a wintv card.

oh and what is a dhcp?

1. the MCE core becomes a file server for the rest of the network out of the box. This is one of the recommended ways to get media onto the server.

2. It needs to be the central gateway for the house. This means DHCP (so that it can automatically assign addresses to the network devices in your house, and find the devices that come onto the network.), and internet gateway need to run through it. No it will not affect your bandwidth or CPU performance issues in the least. It also allows you to network boot computers in your house, so that they can become Media Directors (connect them to TVs, and they become more nodes that have access to all the media inside the house.) It is recommended that you set up your core as per our directions.. use two network cards.. one for the internet (connect this to the modem) and another connected to one of the lan ports on your wireless router. Be sure to turn off DHCP on the router. You will not use the WAN port at all.

Do this, or you will have trouble using the LinuxMCE box as the file server.

-Thom

unruelysock

• View Profile
Re: searver question. sorry if i sound dumb.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:04:50 am »
thanks

john