Author Topic: Display problems with 7.04 install  (Read 3330 times)

stevanbt

• View Profile
Display problems with 7.04 install
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:04:38 pm »
Hi all,
I'm trying to install MCE 7.04 (from DVD) on my HTPC without any luck.  The install appears to go ok, then I remove the disk and reboot.  When the system has booted it seems to be 'flicking' from one screen to another about every four seconds.

Screen one says:-
Code: [Select]
Starting up...
Loading, please wait...
mdadm: No devices listed in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Ubuntu 7.04 dcerouter tty1
dcerouter login: * Re-exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon... [OK]

* Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf                     [Ok]

Screen two says:-
Code: [Select]
Tue, 14 Feb 2008 23:00:00 +0200 RECV :
Tue, 14 Feb 2008 23:00:00 +0200 Helper script end

If I press ctrl + alt + f7 I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor (this then takes the place of screen one above and the pc flicks between this and screen two).  I've read several posts where people are getting blank screens because MCE defaults to outputting the signal to VGA.  However, I'm already plugged into the vga out on my motherboard.

System spec:-
Antec Fusion case
Abit AN-M2
AMD 64 4000+
2 Gig Memory
500 Gig HDD

Thanks in advance, Steve.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:11:21 pm by stevanbt »

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Display problems with 7.04 install
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:50:17 pm »
Wow, thats sounds crazy.  I have a 1 question and 1 suggestion.  What kind of video card are you using?
and
I think you should try 0710 Beta 3, from what I understand, they have fixed ALOT of bugs since 0704.  Honestly, it's what I did, I started off by isntalled 0704, ran into all sorts of issues and as I was researching those issues on the forums, 80% of the time the solution was implemented in the latest release, so I just downloaded the latest and installed it.  Most of my issues dissapeared.  I am stuck with only 1 issue left now, and thats not even LinuxMCE's fault, it's Windows Vista's incompatibilty with the way linux handles smb/cifs shares.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

stevanbt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:12:40 am »
It's driving me crazy that's for certain  :)

I've tried two Nvidia cards (I've put them back in other machines so I don't know model numbers, but they will have been 7xxx series).  Currently I'm using the graphics on the motherboard... all cards appear to do the same thing.  But I'll take your advice and download 7.10 beta 3, I wanted to avoid downloading and installing something that wasn't a full release... Plus I don't have torrent setup at the moment.

Thanks, Steve.

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:30:51 am »
I understand... about installing non-full releases, but honestly, it solved all sorts of issues for me.  And yeah, downloading it without a torrent client sux...

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:18:10 pm »
stevanbt,

I'm curious if you tried installing 0710b3 yet and if your issues went away?

stevanbt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 04:06:46 pm »
Hi,
I tried torrent, but it was so sloooowww I gave up.  I'll wait until the full release is available via ftp or http.

Thanks for your help, Steve.