Author Topic: Synchronisation of LinuxMCE with Official ubuntu development?  (Read 4486 times)

Tigre-Bleu

• View Profile
Synchronisation of LinuxMCE with Official ubuntu development?
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:03:25 am »
Hello,

First let me congratulate you for all the great job done.

I wonder about the cycle of developpement of the project. It is now more than four month that ubuntu 0710 has been released and there is still no stable version of LinuxMCE 0710.

Can this be considered as an accident, or will there always be such a shift between ubuntu's release and LinuxMCE?

I wonder if there is already or not some testing with Hardy Heron.

(By the way I feel concerned because my motherboard have a problem with usb with kernel < 2.6.23 wich force me to have usb off. That's not ideal for the CM11A and the fiire chief  :D so I'm waiting for LinuxMCE 0804)

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Synchronisation of LinuxMCE with Official ubuntu development?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:03:32 pm »
The development cycle of this project should see a decline is time differential between the Ubuntu releases and the LMCE releases. This system is being converted from the PlutoHome custom system that is/was to a native Kubuntu distribution. As would be expected with such a daunting task, there has been a delay. Consider also the vast amount of changes that are being made to the code base to fix problems and add features. Native VDR integration, phone provider additions, mythTV fixes, system operation glitch fixes, Insteon, X10, MAME, etc.

I believe the main goal right now is to get the code to compile on a 7.10 install before moving on to 8.04 installations. I'm not sure where any stop-loss on the process would be placed if the task crept on too long. I suppose you could always try the beta version of 7.10 http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Version_0710 to test the feature set to speed up the process.  ;)

Hopefully that catches everything.

Jason
Silverstone LC20M (silver)
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
Sherwood RVD-6090 (needs replaced)
32" RCA SDTV

Tigre-Bleu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:55:14 pm »
I suppose you could always try the beta version of 7.10 http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Version_0710 to test the feature set to speed up the process.  ;)

Sure, that's what I'm doing. (without my usb working, unfortunately).

I think I should compile a 2.6.23+ kernel for the 710 but I'm afraid it's going to break the auto-update process. Is that right?

Keep on your nice work  ;)

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:07:23 pm »
I think I should compile a 2.6.23+ kernel for the 710 but I'm afraid it's going to break the auto-update process. Is that right?

Keep on your nice work  ;)

I'd have to allow someone more knowledgeable about the auto-update to answer that question as I'm not sure if it would or not. You could try it I suppose...
Silverstone LC20M (silver)
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
Sherwood RVD-6090 (needs replaced)
32" RCA SDTV