Author Topic: MythTV Woes  (Read 7076 times)

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
MythTV Woes
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:51:10 am »
I'm still researching this, but thought I'd post the problem, and what state i'm currently at in case someone has a quick bit of direction to give me.

I can't seem to get MythTV working, or my PVR-150 set up quite right. The PVR-150 has been detected, and added to the MediaDirector entry in the web admin automatically.  I told the wizard not to config things for me as I don't have a supported provider.  The instructions then told me to use the Computing>MythTVSetup.  Well, clicking that causes the UI to flash slightly and then nothing happens.

I started following a post I found here that linked to a HOWTO on the mythtv site.  In there there was a suggestion to run mplayer /dev/video0 to test things out.  Doing that from the KUbuntu desktop I get a nice little mplayer window showing me the video feed from my satellite box into the PVR-150.  Using the remote for my satellite box I can change channels, navigate the guide, etc.  Okay, seems my connections are alright.

Next, the suggestion was to run mythtv-setup.  Hmm, I get a message saying that mythtv-setup isn't installed but that I can install it using apt-get install mythtv-backend.  Umm, why isn't mythtv-backend installed already?

I should point out that this is a sort of sandbox installation and I may well have done something previously that borked things.  I might be best off with a fresh install.

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV Woes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:12:04 am »
Quick update:

I ran apt-get install mythtv-backend, then mythtv-setup and (after adding my user to the mythtv group, returning to KDE-Desktop again and re-running mythtv-setup) am now going through the setup of mythtv.  *crosses fingers*

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:22:32 am »
Got through the setup and now am running mythtvfilldatabase...

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:36:08 am »
Well, mythtvfilldatabase finished executing, but I still can't launch the mythtv frontend from the orbiter.  I'm starting to suspect that either a) my installation is borked and i really should start fresh or b) the g33 chipset isn't compatible with mythtv-frontend?

I seem to recall a post about that...

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:15:28 am »
Don't mind me, just talking to myself to fill time while I reinstall. ;)

I found the following post while waiting for the DVD install take2 to finish.  It might be related to my problems? http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4158.0

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:19:57 am »
So, a fresh reinstall combined with lessons learned on my first attempt results in my being able to get MythTV working with no hassles at all.  I must have seriously borked things last time.

Oh, one thing I learned from my first attempt was that my system was unstable using UI2.  This time I select UI1 from the start and maybe the fact that it didn't hang repeatedly and require multiple hard boots has something to do with the greater success.

Now I just have to determine if mythtvfilldatabase actually ran or not.  And figure out how to get irblasting working so i can change channels.  And figure out why this spare satellite box doesn't have my subscribed programming on it..and..and..and.

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:51:45 am »
Okay, a couple of final things on mythtv setup.

1) Its mythfilldatabse, not mythtvfilldatabsae
2) In the default setup this fails to run due to the access denied error mentioned in the link i provided earlier.
3) An easier workaround compared to that proposed in that link is as follows:
Code: [Select]
1) Open /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
2) Copy the password stored there
3) Open /home/linuxmce/.mythtv/mysql.txt (this file was generatred the first time you tried to run mythfilldatabase.
4) Replace the password there with the one you copied from the previous file
5) Run mythfilldatabase and get a coffee.

Edit: I added these steps to the wiki at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/MythTV#Setting_up_MythTV_in_LinuxMCE
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:56:52 am by Venom986 »

infaze3

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 02:10:58 am »
I followed the steps as per your wiki. Step # 3 (of Step 11) "Open /home/linuxmce/.mythtv/mysql.txt (this file was created when you tried to run mythfilldatabse earlier)" could not be done because the file had not been created.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:11:52 pm »
I followed the steps as per your wiki. Step # 3 (of Step 11) "Open /home/linuxmce/.mythtv/mysql.txt (this file was created when you tried to run mythfilldatabse earlier)" could not be done because the file had not been created.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Try running "mythfilldatabase" first, according to the instructions that should create the file.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:03:57 pm »
Nice work venom,  I've been trying to fix that for a while but couldn't seem to find where the mysql password was or suppose to go.
Got my schedulesdirect working like a champ now, thanx.

the anxious

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 04:47:04 pm »
I will try these steps because my installation have the same problems... in the orbiter i just have a black screen when i try to run mythtv setup..

tks man!
Asus M2N-E-SLI, 2GB Kingston, HD 500GB Seagate, Hauppage PVR-500, Geforce 7300GS, Fiire Chief, Nokia N800, Samsung LN32A330J1 32", HA22, Intermatic Switches, USB UIRT, Xantech 286 double emitter,

dean_za

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 07:46:32 pm »
I have setup my hybrid so many times now I have lost count . I have gone though the setup of mythtv and have configured my cards.

I can connect to the backend from any mythtv-frontend on a seperate system. Currently ubuntu gutsy on my laptop and what the feed from both my pvr-150 and pvr-350 all is wel. But I CANNOT watch tv inside linuxmce. i just get a black screen and then a mesage sying that myth is having problems , can I reset the backend. I just say no and escape.

How is it that the server can be working and the frontend not in a supposedly stable product. I am using 7.04 since 7.10b3 was a wste of time in terms of stability. Surely something as fundemental as playinf the tv feed should work ???

the anxious

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 12:57:14 am »
well... do not worked.. I still have the black screen into the orbiter.. to watch TV with my PCR 500 only window$ works..  :-\

anybody have success? I donĀ“t understand why, but on the computing menu into mce nothing works. A bug or installation problem?
Asus M2N-E-SLI, 2GB Kingston, HD 500GB Seagate, Hauppage PVR-500, Geforce 7300GS, Fiire Chief, Nokia N800, Samsung LN32A330J1 32", HA22, Intermatic Switches, USB UIRT, Xantech 286 double emitter,

the anxious

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 04:23:04 am »
I have setup my hybrid so many times now I have lost count . I have gone though the setup of mythtv and have configured my cards.

I can connect to the backend from any mythtv-frontend on a seperate system. Currently ubuntu gutsy on my laptop and what the feed from both my pvr-150 and pvr-350 all is wel. But I CANNOT watch tv inside linuxmce. i just get a black screen and then a mesage sying that myth is having problems , can I reset the backend. I just say no and escape.

How is it that the server can be working and the frontend not in a supposedly stable product. I am using 7.04 since 7.10b3 was a wste of time in terms of stability. Surely something as fundemental as playinf the tv feed should work ???

dean_za
do you solved the problem of black screen?

richard.e.morton

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 08:25:02 pm »
Okay, a couple of final things on mythtv setup.

1) Its mythfilldatabse, not mythtvfilldatabsae
2) In the default setup this fails to run due to the access denied error mentioned in the link i provided earlier.
3) An easier workaround compared to that proposed in that link is as follows:
Code: [Select]
1) Open /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
2) Copy the password stored there
3) Open /home/linuxmce/.mythtv/mysql.txt (this file was generatred the first time you tried to run mythfilldatabase.
4) Replace the password there with the one you copied from the previous file
5) Run mythfilldatabase and get a coffee.

Edit: I added these steps to the wiki at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/MythTV#Setting_up_MythTV_in_LinuxMCE

I edited this wiki entry to include the possibility that the user is  not called linuxmce in the above