Author Topic: "Unknown Filesystem Type" mount error  (Read 7372 times)

johnm666

• First post!
    • View Profile
"Unknown Filesystem Type" mount error
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:07:54 am »
I am trying to install Linux MCE from the bootable DVD.  It starts, I can choose the hard drive and it starts to copy the files over.  It then says MOUNT: Unknown File Sytem Type " Silicon_medley_raid_member" and hangs about 5 minutes into the install.  I have tried a new hard drive and I receive the same error.  I have D/L KBUNTU 7.10 from their site and it installs fine with no errors to the hard drive so the drive is good, even the old one.  My guess is that it thinks my HD is part of a RAID which it is not.  My motherboard does have a SIL raid controller on it but I do not use any of my drives in a RAID. I have tried both the AMD 64 DVD and i386 version.  Currently I cannot get the cd torrents to D/L ?  It is strange that it begins to install and fails about 5 minutes later.  Any help would be great.  Here is my setup.

ASUS A8n-SLI premium
AMD athalon 64 X2
WD sata hard drive
seagate sata hard drive
2 gigs of ram.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: "Unknown Filesystem Type" mount error
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:07 am »
What is the version you are trying to install? 0710Beta3 or 0704?

If Kubuntu installs without a glitch I would personally go for the CD install, but if you are unable to get the CDs... hmmm

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: "Unknown Filesystem Type" mount error
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:51 am »
I am trying to install Linux MCE from the bootable DVD.  It starts, I can choose the hard drive and it starts to copy the files over.  It then says MOUNT: Unknown File Sytem Type " Silicon_medley_raid_member" and hangs about 5 minutes into the install.  I have tried a new hard drive and I receive the same error.  I have D/L KBUNTU 7.10 from their site and it installs fine with no errors to the hard drive so the drive is good, even the old one.  My guess is that it thinks my HD is part of a RAID which it is not.  My motherboard does have a SIL raid controller on it but I do not use any of my drives in a RAID. I have tried both the AMD 64 DVD and i386 version.  Currently I cannot get the cd torrents to D/L ?  It is strange that it begins to install and fails about 5 minutes later.  Any help would be great.  Here is my setup.

ASUS A8n-SLI premium
AMD athalon 64 X2
WD sata hard drive
seagate sata hard drive
2 gigs of ram.

Johnm666,

The problem you have is because a lot of these so called hardware raid adapters don´t have a fully working bios.
In may cases they set raid info on the disc even if you don´t have it configured.

The actual install problem is becuase the install script that lmce does not work correctly with a a drive that is presented as a raid member.
LMCE install script need to force mount type in order to work correctly.
See, http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3914

Text from mantis bug:
with one specific HW combination(several other machines didn't have this problem)
installation always stops while mounting /dev/sda6 with "mount: unknown filesystem 'nvidia_raid_member'"

this is fixed with changing the line in /usr/bin/lite-installer.sh
mount "$TargetHdd"6 /media/recovery
to
mount -t ext3 "$TargetHdd"6 /media/recovery

and rerunning the installer script

/niz23