Author Topic: Anybody get DVD install to work for 7.10 beta 3?  (Read 13604 times)

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody get DVD install to work for 7.10 beta 3?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 10:27:50 pm »
Yes, have tried direct with no KVM - same behavior.

Understood that no need to install kubuntu first - did that to demonstrate the ability of the cd/dvd drive, other pc hardware, software and my procedure to burn a useable boot disc. 

Able to make boot disc and install kubuntu,  linuxmce - can't install due to loss of graphics.

How to solve?

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:06 pm »
I have a completely different setup than you, lightkeeper, which wouldn't make any difference other than that I have a XFX GeFORCE 8500 GT and am using the AMD64 7.10 dvd beta 3 installation.

I was able to get UI2 (with transparency) working with 0704, but I have had no luck with 0710- as soon as the dvd installation gets past the kubuntu splash screen where I select install, the screen goes black and the crt/lcd goes to sleep.  I was able to get it installed by guessing the keys to press (really pretty easy, just select the hdd to install to and hit enter then I waiting until the dvd was kicked out and I restarted).  I know this worked because when I switched to the onboard video linuxmce started up but with the pci-e 8500, nothing was showing past the initial screens... 

Long story short, I think there is an issue with beta3 and the 8500 card.  I've been watching for info for when 0710 will be officially released hoping for a fix, but haven't heard/read any new info for a while. 

If I find a solution, I'll post it.  This really just an FYI that you're not alone...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 11:16:53 pm »
lightkeeper

1. The "blue screen" you are getting is almost certainly your monitor using the "blue screen" option that most monitors and almost all TVs have and display when they cannot sync onto the input signal. For analogue TVs this is what you get instead of the static "snow" between channels. For a monitor it is used when it can't sync onto the unmodulated input - so definitely get the KVM out of the equation permanently, or at least until you get past this point. The last thing you want is any other piece of equipment in between that could potentially change the signal.

2. The fact that you can get a picture briefly indicates that there isn't a fundamental issue - just that the signal being send is right on the edge of the monitor's capabilities - almost certainly a vertical refresh, horizontal retrace interval, or some other part of the geometry timings just on the threshold of what it is capable of.

3. The correct way to change the monitor output and resolution is pressing keys 1-0 NOT SHIFT 1-0. You obviously have it on the right output, so don't bother with 1-5. Just change the resolution using 6-0. IMPORTANT: it takes at least 10 seconds to change and the monitor to resync during which time you may see the text based console login screen briefly. Give it plenty of time to settle down before trying the next resolution.

4. If this doesn't fix it - you should certainly see the monitor flickering at least - try turning off the Blue Screen option on your monitor.

5. You need to try another monitor just to confirm that it is a timing issue for the monitor rather than a driver issue.

6. beta 3 has the latest (Dec 07) nVidia common/universal drivers for Linux. I don't see any reason why the 8500 would be a problem

7. If drivers are the problem, the 0710 vanilla you installed seemed to work marginally better, probably because it doesn't have the updated drivers. Try beta 2 instead which also doesn't have the latest drivers - but I stress this is a last resort because beta 3 should work fine and you need to get at least to that anyway with the release version when it arrives. Try the other stuff first.

8. Finally, you at least need to try an get to a console screen you can see if none of the above works. CTRL-ALT-F1/2/3/4/5/6 should all have text-based console screens you can log into, so that you can get and edit your Xorg.conf file - again, this is if the other stuff doesn't work, you should try the UseEDID option.

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 04:48:29 pm »
lightkeeper

1. The "blue screen" you are getting is almost certainly your monitor using the "blue screen" option that most monitors and almost all TVs have and display when they cannot sync onto the input signal. For analogue TVs this is what you get instead of the static "snow" between channels. For a monitor it is used when it can't sync onto the unmodulated input - so definitely get the KVM out of the equation permanently, or at least until you get past this point. The last thing you want is any other piece of equipment in between that could potentially change the signal.
Yes, agree eliminate KVM - get same behavior with or without KVM. So whatever is going on its not the KVM

2. The fact that you can get a picture briefly indicates that there isn't a fundamental issue - just that the signal being send is right on the edge of the monitor's capabilities - almost certainly a vertical refresh, horizontal retrace interval, or some other part of the geometry timings just on the threshold of what it is capable of.
Sorry if I did not explain clearly - the brief picture was when I was doing the ubuntu and kubuntu installs when switching back and forth with the KVM.  This monitor trys to autosync to whatever it is getting and the 1024x768 60hz it sets itsself to when on the window box does initially produce a picture on the newly installed ubuntu or kbuntu for about 1 sec but then it looses it.  With the ubuntu and kbuntu I am able to CTRL-ALT-F1 and edit the xorg.conf file to get it going.

When I attempt the Linuxmce install there is the initial install screen and then it goes blue.  Switching back and forth with KVM does not produce a brief picture.  Same behavior with KVM removed and going direct.  CTRL-ALT-F1 does nothing.

3. The correct way to change the monitor output and resolution is pressing keys 1-0 NOT SHIFT 1-0. You obviously have it on the right output, so don't bother with 1-5. Just change the resolution using 6-0. IMPORTANT: it takes at least 10 seconds to change and the monitor to resync during which time you may see the text based console login screen briefly. Give it plenty of time to settle down before trying the next resolution.
Yes, I see that now and that there is a sticky "Black screen after installation is finished" by dan evans which gives this procedure.  I have tried 2 then 6 etc. Just 6, all digits 6-0  --- nothing happens.
4. If this doesn't fix it - you should certainly see the monitor flickering at least - try turning off the Blue Screen option on your monitor.

5. You need to try another monitor just to confirm that it is a timing issue for the monitor rather than a driver issue.

The menu of the monitor has no option for turning of the blue screen effect when no usuable signal.  Do not have another monitor. 

Yes, it is likely a wrong setting of signal to monitor -- themonitor specs has a list of supported resolutions which includes 640x480 @60,72,75, or 85Hz, 800x600@72,75, or 85Hz, 1024x768@60,70,75, or 85HZ as well as 1280x1024@60Hz, 720x400@70Hz, 720x480@60Hz, 1280x720p@60Hz,1920x1080i@60Hz,1366x768@60Hz.
"Monitor adheres to VESA Plug and Play standard to eliminate complicated and time consuming setup of monitors. This monitor identifies itsself to the computer and automatically sends the PC its Extended Identification Data (EDID) using Display Data Channel (DDC) protocols."

7. If drivers are the problem, the 0710 vanilla you installed seemed to work marginally better, probably because it doesn't have the updated drivers. Try beta 2 instead which also doesn't have the latest drivers - but I stress this is a last resort because beta 3 should work fine and you need to get at least to that anyway with the release version when it arrives. Try the other stuff first.

8. Finally, you at least need to try an get to a console screen you can see if none of the above works. CTRL-ALT-F1/2/3/4/5/6 should all have text-based console screens you can log into, so that you can get and edit your Xorg.conf file - again, this is if the other stuff doesn't work, you should try the UseEDID option.

In the kubuntu install (which works for me) the driver being used is: NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver

As noted above have tried the CTRL-ALT-Fn  (n=1-0) can't get to a terminal screen - just stays blue!

Yes, would like to try other version of software.  Have not been able to find download for: LinuxMCE Install DVD for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 2

I think I will try for the LinuxMCE Install CDs for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 3  however I am having some problems getting this.  Will start new thread regarding that.

In the meantime if anyone has anymore ideas on how to solve the LinuxMCE Install DVD for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 3  gives blue screen problem let me know.
There was one helpful post -- jimmejames was somehow able to fly blind and get the thing to install:

I have a completely different setup than you, lightkeeper, which wouldn't make any difference other than that I have a XFX GeFORCE 8500 GT and am using the AMD64 7.10 dvd beta 3 installation.

I was able to get UI2 (with transparency) working with 0704, but I have had no luck with 0710- as soon as the dvd installation gets past the kubuntu splash screen where I select install, the screen goes black and the crt/lcd goes to sleep.  I was able to get it installed by guessing the keys to press (really pretty easy, just select the hdd to install to and hit enter then I waiting until the dvd was kicked out and I restarted).  I know this worked because when I switched to the onboard video linuxmce started up but with the pci-e 8500, nothing was showing past the initial screens... 

Long story short, I think there is an issue with beta3 and the 8500 card.  I've been watching for info for when 0710 will be officially released hoping for a fix, but haven't heard/read any new info for a while. 

If I find a solution, I'll post it.  This really just an FYI that you're not alone...

I guess he had an alternate video output from the mobo which let him see something. I don't have any video outputs other than the 8500 card. There is an S-video output on the 8500 card -- maby I will go grab an S-video cable and see what happens.

Thanks to all the posters, and any other ideas for solution appreciated.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:19 am »
I am using the standard VGA output (there is DVI and svideo on my card as well, but I'm not using them).  Once you select install from the initial splash screen my screen (lcd and crt, doesn't matter) goes to sleep- the next screen after that (I only know from previous installations of 0704) was a listing your harddrives and a prompt as to which one to install to.  To keep from installing over a drive I want to keep, I only run one drive until fully installed, so all I had to do was type "1" and hit "enter".  My dvd drive is noisy enough that I could hear it spin up and spin while the installation continued.  It takes ~20 min (plus or minus) after which time the dvd will be automatically ejected and a screen will prompt for you to press "enter" when you take the dvd out of the drive (again, my screen doesn't show this, just from installing before I know what to expect). 

From there I let the machine reboot and hoped to see the AVWizard screen, but no such luck.  When that didn't work, I restarted and went to the bios, changed to the integrated video (geforce 6100) (bought a cheap acer which unfortunately doesn't have svideo out on the board- only vga, that's why I don't use the integrated video).   When using the integrated video the kubuntu loader bar showed as expected as did the AVWizard. 

I wish I had something else to share with you- a fix, but really only trying to give you confidence that you are not alone. 

If I could add a little more, I'm installing this on a second harddrive than the one linuxmce 0704 is currently installed on.  With the exception of this harddrive and that I'm trying 0710b3, everything is exactly the same.  I was able to get UI2 with alpha blending working with 0704 and, as far as I can tell, everything else works as well- dvd ripping, music, screen savers, etc.  I had the same problem as others with the mythtv frontend locking up, so I haven't tried that recently.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 01:12:12 am »
You mention you have integrated graphics and a card. I think you need to actually disable the integrated graphics to ensure that it doesn't get confused. I have read this before where people simply change the order of the graphics adaptors or the like, and it didn't work until they found the disable option in BIOS

BTW - I have noticed several times in the DVD build that the display seems to go to sleep (at the logical level on the PC, not the monitor's power save) part way through the untar'ing process. And you can just hit the shift key, say, and it wakes up again. Don't know what this is though, and it doesn't sound like your experience anyway. Just thought I would mention it.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 08:17:12 pm »
I appreciate the suggestion, but I disabled the integrated video-  I was able to get everything working in 0704 with the same setup using the pci-e GeForce 8500GT and having the integrated video disabled.  When I get home tonight, I'm going to download the I386 dvd and see if I have more luck running at 32bits...

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 09:00:24 pm »
lightkeeper-   I highly recommend you try the I386 DVD.  I had a completely different experience than the AMD 64b version- the installation was smooth and transparency (UI2 w/alpha) worked out of the box with the 8500gt card.

I will have to experiment with it over the next couple days to make sure everything works at which time I will update the wiki-

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 09:41:39 pm »
If that's the case jimmejames it is more important that you log a mantis with your exact experience of the difference between the two so that it can be fixed if possible.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 12:25:39 am »
colinjones, I'm having the same issue that others are having with mantis in the threat your started here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4315.0  I've applied for a username/password but I am not receiving the confirmation email and I have yet to successfully login.

While I am not a coder, I have a variety of motherboards by various manufacturers and the time to experiment with them and would like to give back to the community as much as possible.  I will try to log into mantis again and will update the wiki pages as I know more.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 12:41:03 am »
Feel free to pen the description for me and I will log it for you...

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 05:41:48 pm »
lightkeeper-   I highly recommend you try the I386 DVD.  I had a completely different experience than the AMD 64b version-

jimmejames: Thanks for what turned out to be a key suggestion - the I386 actually made it to the wizard. 

A how to "How to get started with no GUI"  from dibl was very useful in getting the gui up:  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3085112.0

First, I Went back to just loading Ubuntu which I found to be more graphics friendly than Kubuntu. Got the graphics working, wrote the xorg.conf file out to a memory stick/flash dirve.

I followed the advice of jimmiejames and gave up on the LinuxMCE Install DVD for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 3 -- it seems to have problems for us - works for some I guess.   Downloaded the LinuxMCE Install DVD for I386 - 0710 Beta 3 and installed from DVD.  Graphics did not work initially but were easy to get going now that I had some practice.

Used CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to terminal mode.  Needed to know that the default login for Linuxmce is Linuxmce, password also Linuxmce. (found this info by googleing around.)

Loaded xorg.conf file from flash drive and issued startx command.

Graphics now working working - had gui and desktop.
Downloaded nvidia drive for my graphics card.

Rebooted and used dibl's "How to get started with no GUI"  to get graphics with latest nvidia driver installed.

Now have a new bunch of issues to sort out -- with LinuxMCE -- but at least I got past the blank screen on install problem.

Thanks to all the posters who helped me out - I learned a lot.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 09:09:57 pm »
Thanks for the info-  I wonder what the differences between your video card and mine are.  I have the XFX GeForce 8500GT (updated the wiki: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/XFX_8500GT) that worked like the video: I put the DVD in, installed and on reboot the AVWizard worked as expected.  I selected the UI2 with alpha (high setting) and haven't had an issue- no tearing.