Author Topic: Using pppoe on external network card - problems ...  (Read 3223 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Using pppoe on external network card - problems ...
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:44:51 am »
Hi,

I'm trying to setup ADSL access on "external" network interface of 2 nic setup - Hybrid.

I'm following Wiki pages on this :
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/How_to_setup_ADSL_access%3F

but it doesn't work for me... The most I get with manual setup that Hybrid connects to network, but none of local computers.... I have changed to other ip local adresses and maybe this caused this mixup.

I'd kindly ask for some guidance, since I don't know much about routing tables, etc..
1. how to check and fix routing table on hybrid ? Can anyone explain it a bit ?

2. is it necessary to do manual work to establish pppoe connection on boot ? Pppoeconf asks user if I want to have this feature, but have no clue if it works. Anyone with experience in this field ?

When we establish proper procedure, I guess ADSL support can be easily be added to LMCE to allow users in Europe to use most common Internet access type.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Using pppoe on external network card - problems ...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:04:11 am »
read this thread, especially the last 2 pages.
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2824.15
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:15:03 am by pixelator »

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:51:00 am »
Make sure you get your PPP0e info from your provider and enter it correctly in pppoeconf.
To change eth0 to ppp0 it was easier to go into web-admin and change it under the device tree-->CORE as stated by Zaerc.

Thanx again PIX.

Blair

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:14:41 am »
read this thread, especially the last 2 pages.
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2824.15

Hi,

I've followed that instructions but somehow I still cannot get it to work after boot.

There are two ways mentioned :
1. /etc/interfaces doesn't work, cause LMCE overwrites that file on every update of settings over web-admin...

2. I've put those two magic lines into /etc/rc.local , but connection is not activated after boot. if I run /etc/rc.local from command line, then it connects to Internet. What could be wrong ?

I also wonder if pppoe will try to reconnect if ADSL connection suddenly drops, or do we need some extra daemon to watch connection and restart connection ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek...
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.