Author Topic: Cannot use absolute scrolling with Gyration mouse  (Read 15184 times)

btorrenga

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot use absolute scrolling with Gyration mouse
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 07:41:31 pm »
Had this problem in 0704, 0710B2 and 0710B3.

augalex

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 08:54:04 pm »
Just wondering if something happened,

couldn't make or even find some progress in this case...

augalex

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 06:36:15 am »
That's very odd... I actually got it working out of the box when running 0704. I do remember having a problem with it once, but it was related to the video drivers...

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 08:09:22 am »
That's very odd... I actually got it working out of the box when running 0704. I do remember having a problem with it once, but it was related to the video drivers...

which video drivers are you using?
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 08:24:02 am »
I was messing around with several different versions of nVidia drivers using different settings. Basically what was happening was direct rendering wasn't fully working so the GL menu that popped up blinked constantly.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 03:17:12 am »
I was messing around with several different versions of nVidia drivers using different settings. Basically what was happening was direct rendering wasn't fully working so the GL menu that popped up blinked constantly.

thats exactly my problem. and about the best description of how to go about fixing it...what were the final drivers you wound up using?
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 08:46:25 pm »
Still got the same issue with 0710beta4, nvidia driver 169.07

According to glxinfo, direct rendering is enabled.

/usr/pluto/bin# DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

dopey, when you were seeing the problem, was glxinfo reporting direct rendering as enabled ?

Sam

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 02:44:52 am »
I honestly don't remember. It was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure I commented on it somewhere in the forums, but like I said, it was a long time ago.

That said, I'm pretty sure UI2 won't even load if DRI is disabled, so it most likely was.

I just installed b4 about two weeks ago, but I haven't got the damn thing stable yet... so I haven't really done any playing of media to say whether or not I get that issue with a vanilla b4 install or not.

Question, is compositing working? You should see a line such as below in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Code: (Xorg.0.log) [Select]
NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 02:09:21 pm »
Still seeing the same old problem here, while:
Code: [Select]
root@moon19:~# DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes
root@moon19:~# grep 'ARGB GLX visuals' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 06:11:45 pm »
Same here...
Code: [Select]
dcerouter_64249:/tftpboot# grep 'ARGB GLX visuals' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 01:03:25 am »
Actually the Nvidia drivers will always display that message if you attempt to enable compositing. The error messages, if any, would be below it.

Other possibilities are enabling options that your video card doesn't support. What is your video card and what options are enabled in the video card device section of xorg.conf? Also, in the previous log mentioned, what does it say about AGP (is it using apgart or the internal nvapg)? Sometimes switching those improves things greatly. What kind of FPS do you get in glxgears? That may not be an official benchmark, but it usually gives you a clue as to if something is wrong with OpenGL.

In my experience, the older your Nvidia video card the more problems you will find with the updated drivers. If you have at least a 7x series you really shouldn't have any issues with video on 0710. The 6x series is supposed to be supported... but I've had tons of issues with them in the past using updated drivers. If you have an 8x series... you shouldn't have any problem at all... they just work and damn well... In short Nvidia wants you to buy the new hardware so they support the old stuff less and less.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 12:44:14 pm »
There are no errors in the log below that line. 

I strongly doubt the problem is really in the display drivers as holding F6 or F8 on the keyboard instead does work properly.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 12:20:17 am »
I would have to agree, I didn't realize that F6 and F8 worked for you. With my problem they exhibited the same symptom.

Once I can get to replacing that one HD in my RAID I can test on my systems, but that's a bit of a chore and my real job has got me working overtime lately. I honestly haven't done this before... I usually use LVM for such things, but Ubuntu doesn't use that by default so this RAID was creating using LVM. I'm going to have to do some research on the Ubuntu way to replacing a bad HD in a RAID array. I'm sure it's not incredibly difficult, it's just something I have to research and very carefully do (I'm always extra careful when it comes to my data).

But I digress... does this happen on all MD's, or is it different based on the hardware it's running on? This really does seem like an OpenGL issue, when dealing with the cursor. I remember, back in the day, I had to deal with such bugs with things blinking as the cursor moves... although I was using MS crap... still the same concept though. Basically the cursor move updated the image before, after, and as the image was "flipping" into view. In other words two things where trying to draw in the same location at the same time.

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 11:42:19 am »
Hi Dopey,

have look at http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/raid-lvm.php#failure if you use mdadm. For pure LVM, check http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html

I have not tried the gyration on another MD, will try. To me this looks like the gyration is not transmitting continuously or, if it works for you, like the driver of the giration transmits the info in bursts instead of a continuous  flow, which appears like the button is pressed multiple times and not maintained pressed. I am not sure if there are options to the gyration driver, will investigate.

Sam

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 12:12:45 pm »
I now have this problem with the fiire remote in RC2 - absolute scrolling doesn't work.

If I hold the media key and scroll left / right the media just fastforwards / rewinds just the same as pressing the media key once.

I'm sure it worked in 0704 when I tested it.

I am using the current beta nVidia graphics driver, but not seeing any GUI flickering etc, so dont think it's that! I'm gonna install the latest stable driver anyway to check.

Did anyone resolve this with the Gyro Mouse?
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT