Author Topic: 720p Significanly Off Center  (Read 9274 times)

leonja

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 720p Significanly Off Center
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 04:32:44 am »
Hello Andrew and Zaerc

First I want to thank you guys for all the help you so graciously give out to everyone in this forum.  I am a fairly advanced PC user, mostly in the Windows side.  I have been using Linux servers for about eight years now (Red Hat 5.2 was my first experience), and I find that LMCE is not the easiest thing to install and configure.

Ok, back to my point.  I deleted xorg.conf and restarted the AVWizard, and selected 720p resolution, with the same result: the image is slighly larger than the TV screen and shifted to the left.  I was actually surprised to see that the AVWizard correctly picked the Nvidia driver.

I then followed the procedure suggested by Andrew through the admin web panel with the same result (image larger than screen).  Conclusion, no luck with the AVWizard or the admin web panel for 720p  >:(.

Finally, I tried resetting the xorg.conf file copying and pasting the modeline from the backup file for 1280x768 resolution at 60hz, which worked fairly well with the VGA cable.  I kept the DVI to HDMI cable connected.  After rebooting, the image came out at the same size as the screen.  I had to tweak the LMCE GUI to get it to size properly and fill the whole screen.  It turned out to have a 5% reduction factor set, which I took out (with the admin web panel). 

So now I have a working configuration at 1280x768 being fed to the TV through the DVI port of my graphics card to the HDMI port of the TV.  Everything appears to be working Ok.  The image is sized and placed correctly.  Frankly, I cannot tell the difference with this setup from the previous one using the VGA port.  On the other hand, my TV appears to have the same image sizing issue with 720p being fed from a PC either through VGA or HDMI.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks again for your support,
Jaime

Selectron 42 inch LCD TV
AMD Athlon 2800+ on MSI K7N Motherboard
2x512MB DDR400 RAM
PNY Nvidia FX 5700 AGP video card
Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE capture card
Integrated Realtek 5.1 audio

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: 720p Significanly Off Center
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 11:39:27 am »
Hello Andrew and Zaerc

First I want to thank you guys for all the help you so graciously give out to everyone in this forum.  I am a fairly advanced PC user, mostly in the Windows side.  I have been using Linux servers for about eight years now (Red Hat 5.2 was my first experience), and I find that LMCE is not the easiest thing to install and configure.

Ok, back to my point.  I deleted xorg.conf and restarted the AVWizard, and selected 720p resolution, with the same result: the image is slighly larger than the TV screen and shifted to the left.  I was actually surprised to see that the AVWizard correctly picked the Nvidia driver.

I then followed the procedure suggested by Andrew through the admin web panel with the same result (image larger than screen).  Conclusion, no luck with the AVWizard or the admin web panel for 720p  >:(.

Finally, I tried resetting the xorg.conf file copying and pasting the modeline from the backup file for 1280x768 resolution at 60hz, which worked fairly well with the VGA cable.  I kept the DVI to HDMI cable connected.  After rebooting, the image came out at the same size as the screen.  I had to tweak the LMCE GUI to get it to size properly and fill the whole screen.  It turned out to have a 5% reduction factor set, which I took out (with the admin web panel). 

So now I have a working configuration at 1280x768 being fed to the TV through the DVI port of my graphics card to the HDMI port of the TV.  Everything appears to be working Ok.  The image is sized and placed correctly.  Frankly, I cannot tell the difference with this setup from the previous one using the VGA port.  On the other hand, my TV appears to have the same image sizing issue with 720p being fed from a PC either through VGA or HDMI.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks again for your support,
Jaime

...my fault on that Orbiter 5% scaling factor... I meant to say you might need to adjust that in my last post. Thats the DB field that gets set when you use the "+" or "-" controls in the AVwizard screen that allows you to adjust the position/size of the UI.

Anyway glad you got a working xorg.conf at last!
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk