Author Topic: DVD image quality during fast motion  (Read 5996 times)

FuZoRBlade

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
DVD image quality during fast motion
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:06:53 pm »
While playing a DVD, I noticed that the image gets horizontal lines during fast motion scenes. It looks as though the top half of the image was shifted over to the side a few pixels, and this lasts for a fraction of a second, and it  keeps popping up whenever a scene involves fast motion. Any idea what might be causing this?

Is it possible that the graphics card is too slow? Would it be better if I picked up a faster graphics card? Thanks for your feedback.

My hardware specs are as follows:
Asus M2NPV-VM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Onboard graphics (Nvidia Geforce 6150)
2 GB DDR2 Corsair RAM

Also it may help to know that I am connecting my computer to a 47 inch LCD HDTV using HDMI/DVI connection.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:58:33 am by FuZoRBlade »

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DVD image quality during fast motion
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:33:38 pm »
I have same problem with the recommended MB and a 3.6 Ghz AMD processor.  I want to fix that eventually so I'll keep looking here hoping someone will answer your question and thus mine.

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:03:04 am »
I get it with a Geforce 7300gt on a standard CRT tv. But I also get it on my windows Vista gaming PC that has a 7900GTX.

I have just taken it as a manifestation of computer rendered displays.

From this I don't think you would fix the problem by upgrading your graphics card!
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:47:07 pm »
Did some research on the video tearing during fast motion and found some discussion on this problem, see:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11626148

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:24:27 pm »
Doesn't that refer to Windows?

I see tearing on all my Linux MCE MDs. It's really quite annoying and I would like to find out how to fix it too.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Chris

countzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 12:53:01 am »
The tearing you are descibing is typically associate with vsnyc.

Try to set all vsync options in nvidia-settings for your display.
Not forcing vsync causes the video renderer to render as fast as it can, great for games, bad for videos.
Forcing vsync causes the video renderer to only render as fast as the framrate dictates.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:29:43 am »
UI2 blended also exacerbates this problem. It starts with less than great nvidia drivers and the compositing really uses up what remains. There may be a work around but by switching to UI2 overlay it seems to work fine (even in 1080p). I still see it occasionally with SD wrapped in HD (but it may be at the station).

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:09:34 pm »
OK, I think I understand.  The Nvidia drivers are optomized or set for gamers not multimedia.  We have to force the drivers to vsync for media. 

Shouldn't that be done by the developers as this is a multi-media system not a game playing system.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:21:26 am »
Not sure what type of tearing this is - but for those that experience it, have you considered interlacing as the source. Getting this set up wrong is a very common source of tearing that looks like alternate lines are left then right of each other. If it is torn line by line, then I would suggest that interlacing is the source. If there is just a small number of tears (say 1-5 vertically) spread out roughly evenly down the screen then the vsync suggestion is more likely.

aurum

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 06:42:02 am »
While playing a DVD, I noticed that the image gets horizontal lines during fast motion scenes.

Also it may help to know that I am connecting my computer to a 47 inch LCD HDTV using HDMI/DVI connection.

if u play pal dvd, the best if u set the screen refresh to 50hz or 100hz or 75 hz.

aurum

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 10:08:31 am »
Not sure what type of tearing this is - but for those that experience it, have you considered interlacing as the source. Getting this set up wrong is a very common source of tearing that looks like alternate lines are left then right of each other. If it is torn line by line, then I would suggest that interlacing is the source. If there is just a small number of tears (say 1-5 vertically) spread out roughly evenly down the screen then the vsync suggestion is more likely.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frame_display_timing

FuZoRBlade

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 05:03:48 am »
How do I force v-sync to be on? Is there any way for me to do this easily?