Author Topic: [Solved]LinuxMCE load fails (Dcerouter login:)  (Read 23434 times)

jeffdm

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved]LinuxMCE load fails (Dcerouter login:)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:59 pm »
I'm having this same problem but can't seem to get it fixed.  I tried the steps listed but it isn't working.  The "dce router login" prompt is only on the screen for about 1 second before it goes blank.  I booted into recovery mode and did the steps listed but it didn't help.  I get the same thing whether I install from the dvd or do the Kubuntu + linuxmce 2 cds.  I have tried installing about 10 times and I really don't want to give up.  I did let the Lmce install update the graphics driver.  Kubuntu seems to work fine after that but once I install Lmce, I get stuck in the dce router login nightmare.

tokabowla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 06:23:29 pm »
I am having the same problem as well.  I used the quick-install DVD.  At first boot, I get the dcerouter login screen that flashes from a blank screen to the login.

Here's an important question for everybody:  Does this MB that everyone is talking about have an on-board video card?
This is my problem!  During the initial install, it's detecting my on-board P.O.S. Intel vid card, then assigning the driver for it to my new Nvidia Geforce 6200 OC PCI card!  I looked in my xorg.conf and found that it's trying to use the "i810" driver on my nvidia card.  This ofcourse causes X to repeatedly crash (the flashing dcerouter login prompt). 

My BIOS is set for "PCI" as the primary video device, but LinuxMCE is using the PCI card, but detecting my on-board card, and setting xorg.conf to use the on-board's drivers on the PCI card.  I plugged in my VGA cable into the on-board, and sure enough, it's not even functioning.  So why the hell is it doing this???

I've used the trick of replacing xorg.conf w/ xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard.  This will load the wizard, but after trying to select a resolution, it tries to change the resolution immediately, and just reverts back to the crashing X/dcerouter login. 
After I pick a resolution, and the flashing login reappears, I went into xorg.conf & changed the driver from "i810" to "nv", this allows me to finish the avwizard, but the resolution is never correct (I suspect because I'm not changing the video card settings to the completely, only the driver it's using).  I tried to change the driver entry to "nv" BEFORE starting the av wizard, but it doesn't work.

So the big question is, why is LinuxMCE assigning my PCI video card the deactivated on-board video card's drivers during the initial install setup?  And what can I do to xorg.conf to get everything working correctly before i even start the avwizard?

Thanks for your help! 

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 07:42:38 pm »
I am having the same problem as well.  I used the quick-install DVD.  At first boot, I get the dcerouter login screen that flashes from a blank screen to the login.

Here's an important question for everybody:  Does this MB that everyone is talking about have an on-board video card?
This is my problem!  During the initial install, it's detecting my on-board P.O.S. Intel vid card, then assigning the driver for it to my new Nvidia Geforce 6200 OC PCI card!  I looked in my xorg.conf and found that it's trying to use the "i810" driver on my nvidia card.  This ofcourse causes X to repeatedly crash (the flashing dcerouter login prompt). 

My BIOS is set for "PCI" as the primary video device, but LinuxMCE is using the PCI card, but detecting my on-board card, and setting xorg.conf to use the on-board's drivers on the PCI card.  I plugged in my VGA cable into the on-board, and sure enough, it's not even functioning.  So why the hell is it doing this???

I've used the trick of replacing xorg.conf w/ xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard.  This will load the wizard, but after trying to select a resolution, it tries to change the resolution immediately, and just reverts back to the crashing X/dcerouter login. 
After I pick a resolution, and the flashing login reappears, I went into xorg.conf & changed the driver from "i810" to "nv", this allows me to finish the avwizard, but the resolution is never correct (I suspect because I'm not changing the video card settings to the completely, only the driver it's using).  I tried to change the driver entry to "nv" BEFORE starting the av wizard, but it doesn't work.

So the big question is, why is LinuxMCE assigning my PCI video card the deactivated on-board video card's drivers during the initial install setup?  And what can I do to xorg.conf to get everything working correctly before i even start the avwizard?

Thanks for your help! 

Try disabling the on board Intel graphics in your bios and enabling the nVidia... then on boot up hold the 'Shift' key down to force the AVwizard to run again and allow you to set the correct settings for you newly enabled Video card.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

jeffdm

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 09:26:58 pm »
Ok, here's how I fixed this on my machine: I have an onboard gpu but it was disabled from the beginning in the bios.  My 6200 graphics card has both a dvi and vga connector. My monitor was plugged into the dvi connector.  My monitor supports both dvi and vga.  I tried booting with the monitor plugged into the vga port and everything works great.  I haven't tried switching back to the dvi connector yet.

tokabowla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 12:11:25 am »
Andrew,
Guess I wasn't clear enought, but that's exactly what I did from the start. 
My BIOS is set for "PCI" as the primary video device, but LinuxMCE is using the PCI card, but detecting my on-board card, and setting xorg.conf to use the on-board's drivers on the PCI card.  I plugged in my VGA cable into the on-board, and sure enough, it's not even functioning.
The option in my BIOS is "Primary Video Device".  I have 2 choices, "On-board Graphics", or "PCI".  I can't "disable" the on-board, only choose one or the other (and I'm assuming it is in fact disabled since when I plugged in the vga cable & there's no output) .  LMCE is detecting my on-board video card, but the BIOS outputs only the the PCI card like it's set to. 
Is there a way of manually inserting the correct driver settings in xorg.conf before the avwizard starts (during the dcerouter login/xserver crash loop)?  I'm trying to use a Nvidia GeForce 6200 oc PCI card.  Why isn't the initial installer following the BIOS' "lead" and detecting the "primary video device" it's telling it that it's using? 
Also, I've been using the VGA output the whole time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:13:52 am by tokabowla »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:54:12 am »
Andrew,
Guess I wasn't clear enought, but that's exactly what I did from the start. 
My BIOS is set for "PCI" as the primary video device, but LinuxMCE is using the PCI card, but detecting my on-board card, and setting xorg.conf to use the on-board's drivers on the PCI card.  I plugged in my VGA cable into the on-board, and sure enough, it's not even functioning.
The option in my BIOS is "Primary Video Device".  I have 2 choices, "On-board Graphics", or "PCI".  I can't "disable" the on-board, only choose one or the other (and I'm assuming it is in fact disabled since when I plugged in the vga cable & there's no output) .  LMCE is detecting my on-board video card, but the BIOS outputs only the the PCI card like it's set to. 
Is there a way of manually inserting the correct driver settings in xorg.conf before the avwizard starts (during the dcerouter login/xserver crash loop)?  I'm trying to use a Nvidia GeForce 6200 oc PCI card.  Why isn't the initial installer following the BIOS' "lead" and detecting the "primary video device" it's telling it that it's using? 
Also, I've been using the VGA output the whole time.

Hi Again,

Ok I think the problem stems from the fact that the DVD iso was built on a machine that has an nVidia graphics chipset embedded on the motherboard. Because thr DVD iso is essentailly a snapshot of the machine it was built on the first time the installation boots on your hardware it does not do all the hardware detection that it would do if it was installed directly on your machine. In essence the installation still thinks its running on the machine it was built on and gets confused by the fact that your machine has a PCI 6200 but also has onboard Intel too... so you end up getting a little of each so to speak.

Having said that we have installed from the DVD iso on machines that have a similar configuration to yours without any problems at all... so this may well be down to some small additional similarity your motherboard has to the one that was used when building the DVD iso.

I am sure that if you did a full install from the Kubuntu 7.04 CD and then the lmce-0704 dual CD install this confusion would not happen.

Anyway I'm glad you got your system working :-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

tokabowla

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 01:36:27 am »
Thanks for the reply Andrew.  Sadly, no.  I'm still having the issue.  The issue w/ the DVD quickinstall being an image of another system answers some questions.  But I can't use the Kubuntu Live cd to install.  It just freezes & I can't even pull up another terminal using alt+Fn keys.  All I get is blackness.   ???
So, I'm left with trying to reconfig xorg.conf before I run the AVwizard.  I've googled around all damn day, and every answer is "disable the on-board in the BIOS"!  DAMNIT I DID ALREADY!  lol.
Could you (or anyone else) give me some tips on how I'd do this?  I'll try simply selecting the vesa driver first so the xserver will stop crashing, then install the proper Nvidia driver using Envy (seems to be the best way of getting Nvidia drivers installed) 

UPDATE 1:
Ok, logged in, ran
Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgSet it to autodetect video hardware.  Guess what it detected?  I810!!! Motherfu...
I set it to use the "nvidia" driver, not the open-source "nv" driver.  Next page:
Identifier "Intel bla bla bla"  Wow.  It's really not getting it!  I'm going to set it to "NVIDIA GeForce 6200"
The Bus Identifier claims "PCI:0:2:0"  That's not what my onboard video would detect as right?

UPDATE 2:
Didn't work.  Still f'n flashing the dcerouter login.

UPDATE 3:
Tried using the vesa driver w/ no love.  Found out I'm using a  P4G533-LA MB, if that helps.  I move the Nvidia card to a different PCI slot, and it's still autodetecting "PCI:0:2:0", so now I KNOW that even though the BIOS claims to be using the PCI as the primary video device, it isn't disabling the onboard video.  Motherfu...
Just so I can prove I'm not crazy, here's a pic of the setting.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 02:12:09 am by tokabowla »

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 07:49:16 am »
I don't think chosing PCI as "primary" will disable the onboard, only disabling it will... disable it.
Check the (if it's there) onboard utilities or something, usually embedded sound and graphix (and LAN and USB and...) is listed there

tokabowla

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 08:11:13 pm »
I will try to update the BIOS, but as this version of it stands, there's no way to truly "disable" the on-board video.  It's a very sparse BIOS.  Older PC. 
BTW, so I break down & install Vista Home Premium to Use that Media Center, and THE NVIDIA DRIVERS ONLY SUPPORT 1024X768!  I have a 27" widescreen LCD, so this is unacceptable.  AND, my old XP MCE 2k5 install plays the video like shit through the new card. 
Motherfu...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:14:36 pm by tokabowla »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 08:40:30 pm »
I reckon in order to fix this you need to reboot into rescue mode, run "X -scanpci" to get the BusIDs of the installed cards and then put the correct one in the xorg.conf file.  See also: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Display_Drivers for more info.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tokabowla

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 10:52:58 pm »
I have the best luck  ::).  Before I read the last responce, I d/l the latest BIOS for this shity MoBo, ran the installer.  Guess what?  BRICKED!  It won't boot to anything now!  PHUK!  I'm just gonna buy a new (and 100% compatible MoBo).  Just got a sweet htpc case from the garbage @ work too.  Thanks for your help all. 
...motherfu...

RobWhight

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE load fails (Dcerouter login:) - Temp fix - ideas for proper fix ?
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 10:41:42 pm »
Folks,

This thread was of great interest to me as I was having the same issue. Booted up, flashed the "decrouter" login business as me but then went blank screen. I tried the login "linuxmce" etc as above but couldn't get anywhere (difficult to tell with a black screen !) so, on the assumption that this was a conflict between a supposedly non-active on board graphics card and the card in the PCI-E slot, I took the following approach.

Without chaning any of the install that I had just completed, I shut down the computer. Then I took out the PCI-E graphics card and plugged the VGA monitor into the onboard VGA connector. Reboot, into BIOS (which is bang up to date by the way) and told it to use onboard VGA. Saved settings and reboot.

Voila ! Straight into the AVWizard which I'm now working my way through.

My question is as follows:

At some point, I'll want to get the real PCI-E graphics card back in there and running. Any clues on how to avoid a return to the original problem ?

Thanks,
Rob