Author Topic: LinuxMCE as a headless unit?  (Read 8659 times)

Durrtyboi

• View Profile
LinuxMCE as a headless unit?
« on: August 26, 2007, 05:26:17 pm »
is there a way to use a client like VNC to dial into a system and use it without a monitor?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE as a headless unit?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:48:30 am »
is there a way to use a client like VNC to dial into a system and use it without a monitor?

There is no real need for VNC because you can control any room from any orbiter.  As for starting a headless machine, have a look at this: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Clean_Core.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:59:00 am »
what if you need to edit config files or troubleshoot mythtv problems, etc? you cant do that from an orbiter. his question seems valid to me. i hate having to walk from my living room to the office to do any of the things that are suggested as far as editing things. im, admittedly, one lazy bastard though.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:42:31 am »
You can log in from a PC to the admin panel from anyplace that has access to your network. And to muck around inside there is WinSCP and Putty to enable really screwing it up.

In some respects TiVo has it right. Make it work and keep people out so it keeps working. The biggest failure points in Windows media center come from added software. The same holds here. be gentle and it will stay OK.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 05:25:56 am »
what if you need to edit config files or troubleshoot mythtv problems, etc? you cant do that from an orbiter. his question seems valid to me. i hate having to walk from my living room to the office to do any of the things that are suggested as far as editing things. im, admittedly, one lazy bastard though.

You should be able to log onto the core from just about any Media Director using ssh.  Furthermore nobody said it was impossible to install VNC.  Apart from that... your laziness is of little concern to me. 
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 07:22:54 am »

Just open a console from your Orbiter login with you username/password then ssh into the MD you want to with "ssh moonNN" Where the "NN" is the device id of the MD you want access to (you can find out the Device ID of an MD by going to Web Admin -> Wizards -> Devices -> Media Directors and scrolling to the MD in question, the ID is the number with the "#" in front of it underneath the MD's name)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 04:03:49 pm »
You should be able to log onto the core from just about any Media Director using ssh.  Furthermore nobody said it was impossible to install VNC.  Apart from that... your laziness is of little concern to me. 

so then your original answer should have been "yes" huh? your assumptions make you look ridiculous sometimes.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 06:31:39 pm »
so then your original answer should have been "yes" huh? your assumptions make you look ridiculous sometimes.

My original answer is fine the way it is.  Now what assumptions are we talking about here exactly? 
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 06:53:49 pm »

its a yes or no question. you assumed his reasons for asking and were incorrect. saying theres no need, when you dont know what his needs are, was uncommonly stupid and assumptuous.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 02:55:46 am »

its a yes or no question. you assumed his reasons for asking and were incorrect. saying theres no need, when you dont know what his needs are, was uncommonly stupid and assumptuous.

So let me get this straight, you're assuming that he actually needs VNC?  And if you're so smart... why didn't you answer the question?
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 03:25:19 am »
well....you should keep trying...cause you still dont have it straight. if i knew the answer i would have told him the answer....not told him there was no reason to do what he wanted, just because i didnt know the answer. i have no idea if he needs it or not....who cares....he just asked a question. wait...you just assumed that i was assuming?? thats kinda funny.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 07:12:28 am »
well....you should keep trying...cause you still dont have it straight. if i knew the answer i would have told him the answer....not told him there was no reason to do what he wanted, just because i didnt know the answer. i have no idea if he needs it or not....who cares....he just asked a question. wait...you just assumed that i was assuming?? thats kinda funny.

Look, is there a point to any of this incoherent rambling?  (Other then that you don't know what you're talking about). 

And who are you anyway, the answer police? 
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 03:32:56 pm »
no. no point at all. i believe you meant other than....and i believe you think you are the answer police....or answer nazi...."check the wiki? NO ANSWER FOR YOU!"
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 04:07:50 pm »
no. no point at all. i believe you meant other than....and i believe you think you are the answer police....or answer nazi...."check the wiki? NO ANSWER FOR YOU!"

Wow, sounds like you're really losing it there.  You shouldn't be making so many assumptions, and if I'd want to know your beliefs I'll ask about them. 

At least I give answers and add to the wiki, whilst you apparently are more interested in criticizing people for it whenever it doesn't exactly suit your needs.  So you can either get that sand out of your vagina or get out of my way because I ain't got no candy for you.
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:09:09 pm »
yeah yeah, you're so tough and you are so important.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P