Author Topic: 1.1 Beta 2 -- is it working for you ?! [PROBLEMS/SOLUTIONS]  (Read 12602 times)

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1.1 Beta 2 -- is it working for you ?! [PROBLEMS/SOLUTIONS]
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 10:19:38 am »
Now I am confused about this mounting shares in LMCE 1.1 Beta 2.

Syslog i reporting it can't mount the shares to /mnt/device/32 and up to 35 (for the 4 shares).

Reason is a mentioned above that the number dirs doesn't exist under /mnt/device.

Oki; So I tried create those dirs. I get back that file or directory does not exist. I am thus not allowed to make those dirs.

So I reboot and start up recovery mode. Once in it I discover that in recovery mode /mnt/device doesn't exist. That is funny..
/mnt/device is created by LMCE upon initiation then?

So I make a walk on the wild side and create /mnt/device
And then I create /mnt/device/32, /mnt/device/33, /mnt/device/34 and /mnt/device/35
And then I reboot system.

Well as soon as LMCE initiatied it seemed to remove all those modifications because when I check those dirs, they do not exist. Only /mnt/device exist.

And under /home/public/data/other/ there are these red links named  "Windows Share:  PUBLIC [32] ---> /mnt/device/32

Can anyone skilled and experienced please explain what is going on here and how the shares are handled. Is this a bug, or is it something else?

For the record I can still for example mount PUBLIC share manually to a dir outside /mnt/device/ so it works if I do that. Question is why LMCE fails.

Edit: is it Net_Mount.sh that handle the mount part of shares? Looked into it and there is indeed a part with mkdir -p and a variable after that which I assume should be the device number the link later on further down in it will link to.

Dst="/mnt/${NAS_Description}_${NAS_PK_Device}"
mkdir -p "$Dst"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 10:41:40 am by Cryoniq »

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 11:00:13 am »

@Cryoniq: please report all of your incidents if it does not work as it 'normally' should.

The bugtracker is the best place so you can follow up if necessary. Preferably with a good description of the 'error', relevant details of your setup (hardware/software), logs and the solution/workaround if you found one. If it's in the bugtracker it is most likely dealt with so it won't be in the future/final version..... After all it is a Beta so there's bound to be bugs still.

I think it would be to hard for the dev's to roam al the postings on the forums. If they can concentrate on the bugtracker they can work more efficiently and get more bugs squashed.

Regards,
jester.

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 01:59:45 pm »
The main reason I am posting about it here, is that I am not really sure yet if it is a bug or something else.
Therefore I am interested in other peoples experience regarding setting up shares in LMCE 1.1 Beta 2 toward Other computers shares as well as netdisks with smb server built in, so I know it isn't just me, but others as well.

I do not know how the shares are suppose to be set up and if the device numbers under /mnt/device/ should be created by LMCE or if it is a decoy for something else it does. Or if it is a problem with the mount and smbfs or if I got the things wrong.

If someone would be kind enough to post a step by step guide of how to set up a mount to a windows share and/or a share on another ubuntu machine, if they got it working it would be sweet. As I understood I should use cifs with this one. But I also tried mounting this Ubuntu 7.04 machines shares manually from LMCE router and it was same result.

Reason I pointed at:
Dst="/mnt/${NAS_Description}_${NAS_PK_Device}"
mkdir -p "$Dst"

Is that I felt that /mnt alone was a "device" short perhaps. But then again I am not skilled enough in programming (way rusty) to determine if ${NAS_Description} contain /device in it and make the path complete as /mnt/device/.......

When I confirmed that this isn't just a problem of mine, then I'll head on and make a bugreport :)

Edit: I made a bug report about it. But! I noticed this in  the interfaces section in LMCE admin interface:
545     ** DISABLED ** Pluto SmbFS Kernel Module

Can that have something to do with why it is not working? Or is that like it should be. There were more that had disabled in front of them as well.. hmm
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:42:06 am by Cryoniq »