Author Topic: LinuxMCE Video Output - TV-OUT?  (Read 3230 times)

thraxarious

• View Profile
LinuxMCE Video Output - TV-OUT?
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:18:01 pm »
  I've been trying to get this going a while. While not entirely new to linux (I've worked on and off at times for a while), I know enough about the xorg.conf to set it up for most video related settings. I'm having trouble setting the Media director to use my system's TV-Out.

Even when I had specified it to use Composite out in the early wizard (Output Connector, step3), I get nada on the Composite Output. It does work, because I get things out during boot like all good Nvidia cards do. I get the Ubuntu logo up till X starts. But from what I understand, the media director's settings are not stored anywhere I can get to or change other than the Admin web site. Lo and behold the help files (clicking help) have been not the best at explaining this task or have been linked wrong (the one on advanced settings tries to find the wiki locally 192.168.x.x, not from the linuxMCE website.).. when I found the wiki page for it, its still just a bit of a list...

I realize that linuxMCE is still growing, I just need a bit of help with configuring my TV out in this setup. I did some searching on the forum, but not much seems to say how to do this.

The current setup and hardware:
x86 standalone (which I am working on opening ports since I don't want to use it as my router. Btw: nothing in Firewall rules help either..)
Nvidia 6600GT with monitor + TV connected via Composite Out

All I want is to set my Composite output to be either main, or twinview. Right now my Video Settings has a screen resolution and refresh, nothing about output.

skaag

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Video Output - TV-OUT?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 01:32:41 am »
Exactly the same problem, and exactly the same setup as you.

I did go to the web admin, and changed the card to nvidia, but there is not much beyond that to set up the output for composite.

I have a feeling this thing is setup for one specific kind of hardware setup, and whatever else that's different, is still unsupported, no matter how standard it is (nVidia is quite popular!).

If you somehow manage this please let me know.
Thanks!

thraxarious

• View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Video Output - TV-OUT?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:19:59 pm »
  I have run through the video resolution config program and can change resolution there... sort of. it makes the interface that res, but it runs in the 1024x768 I had it set at earlier. Might be because I have the automatic config pluto does each time arrested by an early ;exit in the startup sequence.

Does anyone have any help info on what goes into the web based app fields? Several of the help buttons lead to empty pages, and so far the wiki is still rather devoid of additional info.

thorsten

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE Video Output - TV-OUT: xorg.conf that works for PAL
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:26:10 am »
Hello,

I finally have a xorg.conf that works with the NVidia native driver and TV-Out for PAL.

Please note that I only post the snippets that are for video, so the file is not complete!
--------------------------------------------------
Section "Device"
   Identifier   "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
   Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "true"
   Option "renderAccel" "true"
   Option "UseEDID" "false"
   Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
   Option "NoLogo" "true"
   Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
   Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"
   Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
   Option "UseEvents" "true"
   Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
   Option "TVStandard"   "PAL-G"
   Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "TV"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "TV Screen"
   Device      "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
   Monitor      "TV"
   DefaultDepth   24
   SubSection "Display"
      Modes      "720x576"
      Virtual      720 576
   EndSubSection

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier   "Default Layout"
   Screen      "TV Screen"
   InputDevice   "Generic Keyboard"
   InputDevice   "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option "Composite" "false"
   Option "RENDER" "true"
EndSection
--------------------------------------------------
I donĀ“t know how to change the settings that are used by the linuxMCE A/V wizard, so the xorg.conf is always overwritten when anyone uses it, but the settings that the wizard provides lead to error/crash on xorg startup, even after selecting PAL-B and the DVB resolution...

I think the A/V wizard just does not know how to handle NVidia here, and tries to add a modeline of its own - which is NOT SUPPORTED by later NVidia drivers. So the name of the mode  ("720x576") MUST NOT be changed, and any modeline is IGNORED by the driver!

Please, dear DEVELOPERS, could you use my information to add it to the A/V wizard? It took nearly a complete day to figure it out.

Thank you!