Author Topic: control video source switchers??  (Read 6473 times)

roustabout

• View Profile
control video source switchers??
« on: January 17, 2015, 07:58:13 am »
And other physical switchboxes - audio input sources, perhaps 'tape loop' processing sources, speaker outputs...  one major difference i've noticed between the last time I looked at LinuxMCE and something like the Crestron type stuff is if I want to use something other than a media source inside the computer itself - DVD drive, TV card, media file.

What i'd like to be able to do is to have the ability to control any combination of cascading switchers for inputs, outputs, processing loops.  For instance one touch might connect a a game console through several separate switchboxes (if there are alot of sources a 4 into 1 box isn't enough) to one of three TV's in a room.  Processing or amplifier loops would be relevant because of all the new audio formats and such that seem to be out now - I might prefer one receiver to be used for music listening and another for home theater listening, or more than one surround decoder being able to be used depending on source material.  I might have three sets of speakers hooked up at different positions and ideally want that a part of the macro.  An example being Dolby Atmos and Barco Auro 3D don't use the same speaker positions.

This isn't a gripey-type feature request, i'm just curious if this is on the roadmap, of interest to other people, how hard it would be to implement or add on to existing code, and similar...  it's a long term goal, i'm not against learning how to do some script or code eventually or if finances permit hiring someone else to write code beyond me for the eventual 'dream home theater', but whether or how it might be implimented might change other parts of the equation in terms of what hardware to consider.

Ideally i'd just like to modify existing pushbutton electronic switchboxes but perhaps only remote controlled ones would work within the framework for instance.  I'm not sure whether MCE needs to talk through some existing controller like a Zwave or IR code or if more homebrew solutions can also be interfaced.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: control video source switchers??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:46:18 pm »
Input switching is easily accomplished and controllable through IR/serial/ethernet/CEC communications. 

Output switching is on the map but I don't think we have full ability to control matrix switches at the moment, there has been some experimentation and we have some ideas on where to go to make it work.  None of the devs have any of this hardware to test with though so it is not something we are working on at the moment.

J.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: control video source switchers??
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:46:47 pm »
And other physical switchboxes - audio input sources, perhaps 'tape loop' processing sources, speaker outputs...  one major difference i've noticed between the last time I looked at LinuxMCE and something like the Crestron type stuff is if I want to use something other than a media source inside the computer itself - DVD drive, TV card, media file.

What i'd like to be able to do is to have the ability to control any combination of cascading switchers for inputs, outputs, processing loops.  For instance one touch might connect a a game console through several separate switchboxes (if there are alot of sources a 4 into 1 box isn't enough) to one of three TV's in a room.  Processing or amplifier loops would be relevant because of all the new audio formats and such that seem to be out now - I might prefer one receiver to be used for music listening and another for home theater listening, or more than one surround decoder being able to be used depending on source material.  I might have three sets of speakers hooked up at different positions and ideally want that a part of the macro.  An example being Dolby Atmos and Barco Auro 3D don't use the same speaker positions.

This isn't a gripey-type feature request, i'm just curious if this is on the roadmap, of interest to other people, how hard it would be to implement or add on to existing code, and similar...  it's a long term goal, i'm not against learning how to do some script or code eventually or if finances permit hiring someone else to write code beyond me for the eventual 'dream home theater', but whether or how it might be implimented might change other parts of the equation in terms of what hardware to consider.

Ideally i'd just like to modify existing pushbutton electronic switchboxes but perhaps only remote controlled ones would work within the framework for instance.  I'm not sure whether MCE needs to talk through some existing controller like a Zwave or IR code or if more homebrew solutions can also be interfaced.

If you hop over to this section of the Forum and post your question about controlling external switchers/matrices/zone amps there I can possibly help you as we have implemented a lot of functionality in Dianemo for controlling those kinds of external audio/video switcher devices; http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.0

All the best

Andy
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk