Author Topic: PS3 as a device  (Read 8611 times)

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
PS3 as a device
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »
Is there a way to make my ps3 a device in LMCE?

I want to be able to have my MD connected to my TV and have the PS3 be routed through it, but I'm thinking i'm going to have to have them be separate and just use like a harmony to switch between the two, no?

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 as a device
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32:01 pm »
I'm not sure if this is what your looking for.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/PS3

Karel

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:04:03 am »
It looks like he wants to control the ps3 with LinuxMCE ... It should be possible, but you're unlikely to be able to capture the Video from the PS3 unless your MD has a component capture card, and the PS3 supports component video out. Really wasteful to have both running full out like that too, if you ask me. The key would be generating LIRC codes that the PS3 will accept for control. Basically you'd be controlling it as if it were any other component (like a blue ray player).
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:59:11 am »
You can successfully use A/V switching to automatically switch to and from a PS3 when needed. Don't bother with that piece of junk Harmony remote... As far as control, that would optimally be possible using the Remote Control functionality built into a PS3 that is normally used to allow a PSP to control it, by somebody writing a DCE device to do so. (Plenty of info on Google about the PS3's remote control protocol, it just needs to be distilled into a DCE device.)

-Thom

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:32:58 am »
There you go. Thom knows his stuff.

By the way, I've read up on the PS3's issues with DRM,... Running the PS3 through the MD is only going to allow you to capture video games or streamed video. The DRM on the PS3 prevents BluRay playback through component video and there are similar problems trying to capture HDMI video. That is,... unless your PS3 is cracked and hacked...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:46:08 am »
add it as a game machine. the template exists for generic gaming console.
tell it the inputs
add a ps3 ir dongle for extra points

be done

think people!

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:43:12 pm »
I realize this is couple weeks behind the conversation but...  But IR control from the USR-UIRT to a Logitech Harmony PS3 adaptor (bassically an IR to Bluetooth converter) takes IR codes and sends the bluetooth codes to the PS3.  Supports all functionality of the PS3 BD remote control.

I have 2 of these converters with USB-UIRTs sending IR from LMCE and controlling my PS3s wonderfully.  Easy, simple, no fuss, no re-inventing the wheel, it just works.

J.

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:14 pm »
add it as a game machine. the template exists for generic gaming console.
tell it the inputs
add a ps3 ir dongle for extra points

be done

think people!

-golgoj4

Yes that was my main question, being able to switch to it on demand. I will most likely be using LMCE primarily for lighting and music control and my PS3 for streaming/watching movies.

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:47 pm »
I realize this is couple weeks behind the conversation but...  But IR control from the USR-UIRT to a Logitech Harmony PS3 adaptor (bassically an IR to Bluetooth converter) takes IR codes and sends the bluetooth codes to the PS3.  Supports all functionality of the PS3 BD remote control.

I have 2 of these converters with USB-UIRTs sending IR from LMCE and controlling my PS3s wonderfully.  Easy, simple, no fuss, no re-inventing the wheel, it just works.

J.

Could you elaborate more on this? You are using a harmony to talk to both the USB-UIRT AND the harmony bluetooth adapter? or have the USB-UIRT facing the bluetooth adapter and have LMCE sending the commands directly to the bluetooth adapter which is connected to the PS3?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:11:36 am »
It's very simple:

I have a PS3IR-1000 from Schmart as an IR adaptor attached to the PS3. I have a USB UIRT attached to the PC. There is a PS3IR-1000 device template in the main database with the necessary remote codes, I had to add ones for the four Circle, Square, Triangle, X Buttons (which are specified in the PS3IR-1000's PDF manual.), and create a remote for it in HA Designer (I wanted one that wasn't the default DVD/Blu-Ray remote, with the 4 buttons mentioned above), afterwards, after making the necessary changes above (And adding the remote in the device template), I was able to add the AV device using the setup wizard, and it created a scenario for my PS3, and was able to control the PS3 appropriately.

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:16:08 am »
A video demonstrating this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Nfit7_SPk

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 12:44:41 pm »
tschak,

did the new screen end up in sqlCVS?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:41 pm »
No, I have to re-make it, as this was done on an installation that I had done some custom designer work.

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 12:05:52 am »
Could you elaborate more on this? You are using a harmony to talk to both the USB-UIRT AND the harmony bluetooth adapter? or have the USB-UIRT facing the bluetooth adapter and have LMCE sending the commands directly to the bluetooth adapter which is connected to the PS3?

Thom's suggesting is just as easy. 

I do not have a harmony remote.  I purchased the Logitech PS3 Harmony adapter (takes IR in and emits bluetooth).  I have a USB-UIRT and I created an IR device for the PS3 Harmony Adaptor.  I entered in the codes for the PS3 Adapter (available from remote-central http://files.remotecentral.com/collection/4702-1/index.html ).  Both the usb-uirt and the harmony adapter point into my room, the usb-uirt I have is more than powerful enough that the signals bounce off the rear walls and back to the harmony.  If this is not convenient, or does not work (black walls, etc.), it looks like you can connect the usb-uirt output directly to the harmony adapter with an 1/8" mono TRS connector (a mono headphone jack cable) so the signal is direct with no IR.  Could be more reliable if reliability is a problem.

So LMCE -> USB-UIRT -> Harmony Adaptor.  No extra usb dongles in my ps3.  Works like a charm.

J.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 01:00:58 am »
Before suggesting the Harmony adaptor, you should seriously look at the PS3IR 1000, as it does a far better job for certain things, like powering on/off the system.

I don't suggest things for the sake of it. I suggest them because they work.

-Thom