Author Topic: Want to find a Core Server? What do you think of this?  (Read 2507 times)

skorpi0wn

• First post!
    • View Profile
Want to find a Core Server? What do you think of this?
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »
I saw this posted today and was wondering if anyone could recommend this as a core?

dealnews.com/Dell-Inspiron-560-Intel-Dual-Core-3.2-GHz-Desktop-PC-for-300-free-shipping/556523.html

F1forHELP

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Want to find a Core Server? What do you think of this?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 09:29:30 am »
The base processor and memory are comparable to what I am currently running on my core.  To set it up as a core, you would need a second NIC at a minimum and quite probably a base line nVidia graphics card..  I haven't tried to build a core with a video card other than an nVidia so I don't know how far through the setup you would get.

So, depending on the expansion capabilities of the box (I tried a Dell chat but was disconnected), and what your resulting installation is suppose to look like, it might be a good starter core.

Joseph Hume
F1 for HELP

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: Want to find a Core Server? What do you think of this?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:06:40 am »
...I haven't tried to build a core with a video card other than an nVidia so I don't know how far through the setup you would get....

My Core has a standard on-board GPU and I had no problems setting it up as such. Obviously you *could* have issues if you don't have the nVidia card but I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a machine if it is to be a core and not a hybrid- you can try it and if there are video problems get an entry level card that will work just to do the setup side.

Obviously if it's going to be a hybrid you need to think quite a bit more about the video.

The other stuff you may want to look at is environmental issues (I don't mean save the planet specifically, but where the box will be located). Are you going to hide it away in a server closet where noise won't bother anyone or is it going to sit next to your TV in the family room? Heat and airflow are an issue too. Also, depending how far you want to expand your system, you need to think of slots for cards (Graphics, TV tuner, Video capture etc), SATA ports for additional hard drives, things like that.