Author Topic: Hardware setup  (Read 4560 times)

massahwahl

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hardware setup
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:57:39 pm »
Hi all!

Im setting up my system for the first time and there is so much to take in that Im getting a little lost on some hardware configurations. I have three computers that I want to implement:

Hybrid: Dell Precision 470 Workstation with X2 Dual Core Xeon 3.0Ghz processors and two 1Tb HDD's
Extender 1 for our living room: HP DC5750 with single core AMD 64 2.9Ghz (might upgrade this to a dual 3.0Ghz) wanted to run the security system from this box, or does EVERYTHING have to be done from the Hybrid?
Extender 2 for bedroom: HP Laptop with HDMI out.

We will be using our cell phones as orbitors. Her Iphone and my Android Galaxy S

So some of my concerns are that currently all of these devices are run from our wireless N router. In setting this up is it a requirement that everything be connected via actual ethernet? I noticed that a lot of people are using switches too but it seems my system is going to be tame compared to some others so I dont know if thats necessary. If wireless is ok, can the core use the wireless adapter and the ethernet adapter as the two required adapters for the system? Also for netbooting the two satellite computers, can this be done wirelessly?

My main uses are going to be for media (obviously) and to control our security system (figuring out in different thread) and probably lights using the X-10 system as it seems the most easy to implement.

Any help would be excellent as I keep studying all this :D

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:04:48 pm by massahwahl »

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware setup
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »
Extender 1 for our living room: HP DC5750 with single core AMD 64 2.9Ghz (might upgrade this to a dual 3.0Ghz) wanted to run the security system from this box, or does EVERYTHING have to be done from the .

As for security, I believe you can have your living room Media Director (MD) host your interface (whether it's Z-wave, INSTEON, etc) but ultimately the processing gets done by the CORE.

So some of my concerns are that currently all of these devices are run from our wireless N router. In setting this up is it a requirement that everything be connected via actual ethernet? I noticed that a lot of people are using switches too but it seems my system is going to be tame compared to some others so I dont know if thats necessary. If wireless is ok, can the core use the wireless adapter and the ethernet adapter as the two required adapters for the system? Also for netbooting the two satellite computers, can this be done wirelessly?

I tried to run my system from wifi but it was quite unreliable. YMMV, depending if you're in a rural or urban setting, but reliable HD streaming will probably out of the question (even with wireless N).

Cheers,

Dave

massahwahl

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:24:20 pm »
Thats what I was afraid of and could potentially derail my whole intentions... unless there is an easy way to run Cat5e cables with existing walls!

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:24 pm »
Thats what I was afraid of and could potentially derail my whole intentions... unless there is an easy way to run Cat5e cables with existing walls!
What are your walls made of?  What is your House like? 1 story/2 story, basement, attic?  I ran cables through my walls (2 stories) from Basement to Attic then down from Attic to where they were needed on the second floor 

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »

There's a number of options depending on your layout. You can go through the basement ceiling space or through the attic, into wherever you need your drop. You can even hide behind baseboards (though I've never routed the back of a baseboard so I can't vouch for how easy it is). The cable, terminators, and tools are cheap, and once you go wired you never want to touch wireless again! It's a worthwhile investment and I highly recommend it even if you don't use LMCE.

Or hire a good electrician, I've heard many people remark at how impressively they can hide wiring.

massahwahl

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »
Were on a slab and no basement, so im currently looking at running the wires under the carpet in our living room. Here my network at the moment:

Living room: Phonejack>50ft phoneline along baseboard>DSL Modem>Wireless Router=cat5 cables to= Xbox 360 + TV receiver.
Master Bedroom downstairs: Laptop connected to 47" LCD via HDMI. Currently wireless.
Upstairs: 2 bedrooms both desktops connected wireless. These can stay wireless as we wont be doing any streaming to them.

We have a rarely used coat closet with a shelf in the living room and ideally I would like to move the Hybrid Dell Precision 470 into that closet along with the router and modem then run some flat style cat5e cables from the router to the other side of the room where the tv is. There I will use a network switch to connect the xbox 360 and run a second cat5e cable from the switch to where the living room HP DC5750 will be. I need this one to have some flexibility because during xmas time we will have to move this box around a little. There will also be a long flat HDMI cable to the tv from this box.

Man I wish I could post freaking pictures, it would make this WAY easier to explain!

Anyway, Back at the router in the closet...

Another flat CAT5e cable will fish underneath the carpet and to the back of the house where the master bedroom is. Our carpet is totally shitty and has no padding or anything its straight to the concrete which makes it easy to maneuver around.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:01 pm »
I'd think about running a CAT5e cable to that security panel too while you're at it... just in case.

massahwahl

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »
I dont think it has a way to plug any cat5e into it... still trying to figure out how to rig that up on the other thread.

massahwahl

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:23:48 pm »
I take that back! There is a ethernet cable on the board that is hard wired, if I plug my computer into is there an access ip to get to the board??

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:31:59 pm »
I'd be surprised but maybe.

I was thinking more along the lines of: whatever interface you end up using to connect to your security system or security sensors, there's a decent chance you will use CAT5e to connect that interface to your LMCE system.

massahwahl

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:34:19 pm »
Good call! Is it alright to use a second switch in the bedroom? Can you use two switches off of the same router?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:08 am »
check out my network setup:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Techstyle

works for me

massahwahl

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 01:46:05 pm »
check out my network setup:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Techstyle

works for me

Your setup is actually very very similar to how I am going to be setting mine up. Thanks for showing me!