Author Topic: Is this possible  (Read 9070 times)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
Is this possible
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:54:31 pm »
This maybe a pipe dream but is it possible to trigger an event from sound?  Just like a motion detector will turn on a light when it detects motion. 

I'm thinking I would connect a mic to the MD in the nursery, then configure the event so the sound of the baby crying will turn on/flash lights and/or display video from a camera over looking the crib.

Please tell me this is possible... that would be so cool!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Is this possible
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:13:55 pm »
There are quite a few phones available who have this built in. Gigaset range from Siemens is one of them

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »
These are compatible with Lmce?

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:02:11 pm »
There are many projects out there that can create an event from sound, maybe you can work up a dce device, it would also be a start for control by sound. The sound can come from any device, but a well placed microphone like the Solo might be best for baby monitoring.

here is a sample project i found, since i have 2 grand baby's now, i was interested in this also.

http://audiotrigger.sourceforge.net/

Richard
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:30:01 pm by rperre »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:38 pm »
These are compatible with Lmce?

search wiki for gigaset ;)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:41:53 am »
Point taken. 

So you're saying if I get one of these phones I could create an event that will trigger commands when there's sound in the room?  I have absolutely no use for a phone in my house, both my wife and I have cell phones, this would be a complete waste of money if it can't be used as a sound sensor.  Has any one doe this with this phone?

tkteun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:49:20 am »
Maybe you could install a security camera and make a small microphone to infrared LED VU meter?

If you have a cheap VU meter like this: velleman.eu distributor/products/view/?id=352812  (MK146 on google)

and remove all the LEDs, you can take some infrared led and solder it in the required spot. Then place the device in view of the camera and make a camera trigger.

Because the cheap CCD and CMOS cameras are extremely sensitive to infrared light, the LED will turn bright white in the image. This should be able to trigger a movement alarm.

Maybe a camera is a bit more useful in a nursery than a phone and is definitely cheaper than any 'Siemens Gigaset'.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:51:07 am »
Point taken. 

So you're saying if I get one of these phones I could create an event that will trigger commands when there's sound in the room? 

You can trigger a phone call on the Gigaset. The phone call could trigger action on LinuxMCE.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:09:38 pm »
You can trigger a phone call on the Gigaset. The phone call could trigger action on LinuxMCE.

I hate to be a pest but I just don't understand.  What do you mean by trigger a phone call?  So someone says something in the room...anything, Or the baby starts crying and that will trigger the Gigaset to place a phone call?  What then, I set the phone to call an extension in the house?  That extension receiving a phone call triggers the lighting and video alerts I want?  Please break it down for me, i'm interested but i'm having a hard time following you.

Maybe you could install a security camera and make a small microphone to infrared LED VU meter?

If you have a cheap VU meter like this: velleman.eu distributor/products/view/?id=352812  (MK146 on google)

and remove all the LEDs, you can take some infrared led and solder it in the required spot. Then place the device in view of the camera and make a camera trigger.

Because the cheap CCD and CMOS cameras are extremely sensitive to infrared light, the LED will turn bright white in the image. This should be able to trigger a movement alarm.

Maybe a camera is a bit more useful in a nursery than a phone and is definitely cheaper than any 'Siemens Gigaset'.

Interesting!  This sounds great in theory, also there are VU meters with mics built in for fairly cheap.  I'd consider it if someone can confirm that a bright light will trigger a movement alarm.  I know the camera in my Droid can see the IR signals from my remotes so in theory I don't see why this wouldn't work.  I don't know if it would be bright enough though, plus I haven't used my soldering iron in years.  Can someone confirm if lights can trigger an alarm?  Especially in the daytime, I think this is where this idea will definitely fail.

There are many projects out there that can create an event from sound, maybe you can work up a dce device, it would also be a start for control by sound. The sound can come from any device, but a well placed microphone like the Solo might be best for baby monitoring.

here is a sample project i found, since i have 2 grand baby's now, i was interested in this also.

http://audiotrigger.sourceforge.net/

Richard

I LOVE this idea.  Unfortunately that software is for windows, I don't suppose WINE is compatible with LMCE?  I don't want to have a windows box setup just for this.  I'll have more time next week to play with this so i'll search for a Linux alternative.  Then I can setup an MD in the nursery, install an app like this and get it married or duct taped to Lmce. 

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »
I hate to be a pest but I just don't understand.  What do you mean by trigger a phone call?  So someone says something in the room...anything, Or the baby starts crying and that will trigger the Gigaset to place a phone call?  What then, I set the phone to call an extension in the house?  That extension receiving a phone call triggers the lighting and video alerts I want?  Please break it down for me, i'm interested but i'm having a hard time following you.

You understood correct.

Any sound in the room triggers an outgoing phone call to a specific number. The gigaset calls an extension. The incoming call triggers an event, that can execute any command you want.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:33:52 pm »
You understood correct.

Any sound in the room triggers an outgoing phone call to a specific number. The gigaset calls an extension. The incoming call triggers an event, that can execute any command you want.

WOW!  That sounds pretty simple.  For $99 for the phone in the wiki that sounds a little too simple to pass up.  I think i'm going to look into an application like audiotrigger first then default to this if that's a dead end.  With something application based i'd be able to use it for other rooms and other scenarios easily, just buy a mic.  This phone will work awesomely though!!

Thanks!!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 04:31:44 pm »
Any DCE device can be made to trigger an event.

So, take for example:

Creating a Security sensor called an audio sensor, in the same category as Generic Sensor. This would, as per the device template emit a Sensor Tripped event.
ho
You would use DCEGen to generate a C++ project skeleton for it...

This code would spawn an audio catching thread, listening for audio over a certain threshold (I won't get into the specifics of that.. it's a well known problem and is easy to put together a solution.) ... and upon a threshold met (set by device data for example!), it would emit an EVENT_Sensor_Tripped(1)

Which you would _THEN_ be able to catch in the web admin.

It's really not hard, for those with a little bit of drive to dig in a bit. I wish you guys would STOP trying to duct tape things around and actually learn the system a bit. ;)

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »
Thom,

do you think that using a phone is a clutch?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »
Nah, but there are more direct ways of doing this. ;)

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 06:23:43 pm »
How can you do it without coding a single line?

I think using a phone is great, as they are already setup for this kind of scenario. Everything else means re-inventing the wheel.