Author Topic: WebDT 366LX PadOrbiter Image  (Read 8052 times)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
WebDT 366LX PadOrbiter Image
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:43:40 am »
For those who own the WebDT 366LX Model and are unable to use the webpad-gamma installer you can try this image:

http://www.4shared.com/file/-19oWYgy/webdt366lx-install.html
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b420hcc/n/webdt366lx-install.tgz

This is the padorbiter installer that Thom created for the 366GX but modified with an LX sized image.  Extract the image file from the archive and use dd to put the image on a USB drive.  Put the USB drive into the WebDT 366LX and turn it on.  60 seconds later it will overwrite the WebDT's flash memory hard drive.

Orbiter is updated to svn 23395.

A squeezeslave player is installed and accessible by pointing to 00:00:00:xx:xx:xx where xx:xx:xx are the last three parts of the wireless card's MAC address.  Ex. if your WebDT's MAC address is: aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff then the squeezeslave player is at: 00:00:00:dd:ee:ff

WEP and WPA both working.

Known Issues:
  • After entering the network configuration the webpad isn't joining the selected network.  Solution: Power down by holding the power button > 5s and power back on to join the network you configured.
  • There are some small lines visible along the top of the lcd screen in X windows.  No solution for this and they are hardly noticeable, I'm open for suggestions.

I will try to help and answer any questions that come up.

If you find this useful then please thank Thom for creating the padorbiter in the first place.

J.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:21:10 am by phenigma »

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WebDT 366LX PadOrbiter Image
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:19:16 am »
how did you get the iw2200 driver onto the webdt?

I am trying to mount a usb stick to it and from there install it. However it is not succeeding and is not recognising tha filesystem I am using on it FAT32.

How did you do?
edit. maybe should tell abit more.. I have installed your image on my webdt and when going into terminal (ctrl-c -t) and executing iwconfig I can see the ssid is not associated with my ap which is defined. I use wep with no encryption just to make things simple.
Thinking I may have to update the driver or so =/

edit2.. well. OR check the settings of the AP which turned out to have "required" buttons ticked in for the speeds.. So now it's booting up lets see.
Great work with the image!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:52:06 pm by johanr »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »
:-)  That was the easiest bit of support I think I've ever had to give!  Glad it's working for you.  I assume that WEP is working for you?

BTW, I've been playing with my WebDT LX's and I have one booting up as a wireless diskless MD.  Takes a while to boot over wifi but works great for audio, not enough horsepower for most video.  I can watch all my old TV shows without issue though.  The really nice thing is having the photo screen saver.  I had been playing around with the PSS on the padorbiter image, and it was really nice to have, but there wasn't enough room for xfwm in the 500mb flash HD.  Neat stuff though.

J.

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:17:47 am »
well usually I search for days before asking but this time I wanted it to work faster than usual. And Yes it helped very much when you posted the findings and solution you have done  :)

Yes the wep is working fine, no driver updated yet. tried wap first.

are you for real  :o DT as MD? I have been thinking of this, do you have the time to post a simple guide how you made it working? I thought PXE boot was not even an option in the bios.
Also, in the image you have the slaveplayer..
 I have not looked(read up on) at the squezzy thingy yet. but does this mean I dont need other than a squeeze server? and does that need to be a squeeze box?

-Johan

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:20:24 pm »
:)  Glad that WEP is working, I'm hoping to test WPA soon, just have to get hostapd setup properly.

And yes for real I have my WebDT booting as an MD.  It is not true 'diskless' in the sense that it is not REALLY PXE booting.  I have a kernel with an initrd on the WebDT that loads the wireless drivers and then mounts the NFS share and proceeds as if it had PXE booted.  Right now I am manually creating an MD in the webadmin and then pointing my kernel to mount the NFS share of that new MD and boot like a normal diskless MD from that point on.  I am working on having it use the PXE boot information to automatically find the proper NFS share and, hopefully, to make it somewhat generic to be used as a method of performing a Wireless PXE boot.  I will also admit that I have turned off some of the 'features' that exist on most MDs that I would not enable on my WebDT (mythbackend, for example, is disabled on my WebDT).

As for a howto... well that's easier said than done but I hope to wrap up what I've done into a wiki page, at some point, and provide the additions/alterations to the initramfs for the PXE style booting.  Still lots of testing, lots of learning too.  I knew next to nothing about PXE boot, initrd's and the kernel boot process when I started this 2 weeks ago.  I'm having an issue right now where the firmware for the ipw2200 is not found during the normal module loading portion of the initramfs (even though I've placed the firmware into the initramfs), if I later rmmod and insmod the driver again then it finds the firmware no problem.

J.

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »
A squeezeslave player is installed and accessible by pointing to 00:00:00:xx:xx:xx where xx:xx:xx are the last three parts of the wireless card's MAC address.  Ex. if your WebDT's MAC address is: aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff then the squeezeslave player is at: 00:00:00:dd:ee:ff

Really curious how you did this and how well it works.  I have WebDT 366's (not sure if LX or GX) and have not been able to get your image to work on my devices- the screen goes white on boot....  

Any help would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:17:09 pm by huh »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:34:52 pm »
Responded to your PM.  Sounds like you have a 360 which uses a different video driver config.  I'll be happy to give you a hand getting it to work.

J.

gnaffs

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:26:46 am »
Hi, sorry for posting in this old thread, but is someone having a link to the file, the above link is not working.

Thanks in advance.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:22:20 am »
Hi, sorry for posting in this old thread, but is someone having a link to the file, the above link is not working.

No problem, lets me know the link is not working.  I've updated the link in the first post.  Have fun!

J.