Author Topic: Second internal hdd problem - was used for LMCE7.10  (Read 3041 times)

samohile

• First post!
    • View Profile
Second internal hdd problem - was used for LMCE7.10
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:01:10 pm »
Hi,

This is my first post. I am happy to be using this great product.

I was using LMCE7.10 and then bought a new hard disc drive, removed the LMCE7.10 hdd, installed LMCE8.10 on the new hdd. Things are working well.

I then attached the old hdd and it auto-mounted all right. I believe I chose the option that remember my choice and mount it every time. I then copied all my video to the new hdd (I want to use the older one exclusively for recording TV shows).

I now wanted to reformat (delete all LMCE7.10 partitions, create only one and format).. However, it would not allow me to do so, since it was already mounted. I therefore disconnected it, and attached it to a Windows pc and deleted all the partitions. Next, I attached it to LMCE8.10, created a primary partition, created ext3 file system, and then it was auto-detected. I chose to use it for recording TV shows.

This time LMCE autodetected this drive as sda1, and all my LMCE8.10 partitions are sdb1, sdb6 etc. My boot partition, swap etc partitions now became sdb* instead of sda*. Also, all the media files that are required by LinuxMCE (setup videos of sarah etc) are now available to me in Video folder!

Now I remove my second internal hdd, but these drives still show  up in Media --> Manage Drives --> Hard Discs. I can not remove them from there. I still see two thumbnails of all my videos in the Media --> Video, one of them refers to public directory on non-existing hard disc, which obviously does not work. Also there are the media files required by LMCE that I mentioned earlier.

First question is how do I clear the list of Hard Discs? These partitions don't physically exist. I tried going into "Manage" and to click the buttons Cancel Ripping, Refresh, Eject etc but none of them respond. I tried several reboots of the machine but they are just sitting there.

Second, I do want to add that hard disc but can't seem to setup the way I want. How do I do it?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:58:36 am by samohile »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Second internal hdd problem - was used for LMCE7.10
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:21:51 am »
Hi,

This is my first post. I am happy to be using this great product.

I was using LMCE7.10 and then bought a new hard disc drive, removed the LMCE7.10 hdd, installed LMCE8.10 on the new hdd. Things are working well.

I then attached the old hdd and it auto-mounted all right. I believe I chose the option that remember my choice and mount it every time. I then copied all my video to the new hdd (I want to use the older one exclusively for recording TV shows).

As I understand it, LinuxMCE requires that MythTV recordings, live or otherwise, must occur on the drive LinuxMCE is installed on. Any changes to this schema will be overwritten.

I now wanted to reformat (delete all LMCE7.10 partitions, create only one and format).. However, it would not allow me to do so, since it was already mounted. I therefore disconnected it, and attached it to a Windows pc and deleted all the partitions. Next, I attached it to LMCE8.10, created a primary partition, created ext3 file system, and then it was auto-detected. I chose to use it for recording TV shows.

This time LinuxMCE autodetected this drive as sda1, and all my LMCE8.10 partitions are sdb1, sdb6 etc. My boot partition, swap etc partitions now became sdb* instead of sda*. Also, all the media files that are required by LinuxMCE (setup videos of sarah etc) are now available to me in Video folder!

I would, if I were you, attach that drive back to windows and delete all partitions. Then re-attach to the core and boot. I would then enter the web admin, and at the bottom of the left frame choose "Show device tree". Find the 2nd drive under Core, click it, choose "Delete Device" at the header of the main frame.

Then enter the KDE desktop, open a terminal and install gparted.
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install gparted
Click the "start" button/applications/settings/partition manager. Then just format the whole drive as XFS.

Reboot the machine.

After a bit (don't be impatient), the system will detect the drive and ask you if you want to use it. Say yes. Use LinuxMCE directory structure. Automatically use. TV will have to live on the boot drive.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:32:57 am by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.