Author Topic: AcerRevo 3610 atom330 ION MD on 8.10 core:  (Read 4772 times)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
AcerRevo 3610 atom330 ION MD on 8.10 core:
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:50 am »
Hi!

Finally released some money and bought the above to have as a first MD to show the family and others more of the fancy stuff with lmce.
Read that this 3600 should work but it Must be based on ION..
Also have read about people having problems with pxe and the eth0.. But I dont think I have the same..

I get different problem than most guys seem to have during pxe boot.
The boot hangs sometimes complaining about acer-wmi interface..

If not complaining(visibly) on the above it hangs on "loading hardware drivers"

Tried acpi on/off in the 01-xxxxx.cfg file in the core.
Also changed amd64 to i386 in webadmin.
Will look around for new bios tonight forgot to check that yesterday.

Maybe someone has some input on what I can do to bypass this?
 Andrew@CHT perhaps
;) ?

-Johan
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:24:26 am by johanr »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: AcerRevo 3610 atom330 ION MD on 8.10 core:
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »
Hi!

Finally released some money and bought the above to have as a first MD to show the family and others more of the fancy stuff with lmce.
Read that this 3600 should work but it Must be based on ION..
Also have read about people having problems with pxe and the eth0.. But I dont think I have the same..

I get different problem than most guys seem to have during pxe boot.
The boot hangs sometimes complaining about acer-wmi interface..

If not complaining(visibly) on the above it hangs on "loading hardware drivers"

Tried acpi on/off in the 01-xxxxx.cfg file in the core.
Also changed amd64 to i386 in webadmin.
Will look around for new bios tonight forgot to check that yesterday.

Maybe someone has some input on what I can do to bypass this?
 Andrew@CHT perhaps
;) ?

-Johan

There is plenty of information here on the Forum & on the wiki about getting the Revo 36XX machines working. It revolves around disabling the Revo's onboard WiFi and adding the correct NIC driver to the boot image etc.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »
Not sure if it will help, but all I did to get my Acer Revo 3610 working was to go into bios and enable alternate nic rom (or something like that).  I'm not sure if mine came with a newer bios, but I have not updated it.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:57:32 pm »
Sounds like you need to blacklist ath_pci on the md as Andrew said (assuming you have the wifi enabled version of the revo).

Instructions in the wiki under acer revo 1600:
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Acer_Aspire_Revo_1600#810_Configuration_Steps

HTH
Barney

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 01:36:12 am »
thanks all of you..
Skeptic, I kind of hoped for the same experience as you describe , but murphy hit me once again..

getting further now after adding the blacklist ath_pci .

I have blacklisted the wmi also(found a post on it in ubuntu tracker). It is not clear that the 1600 is same as 3610 but after updating the bios to a linux version I noticed that it is indeed..

gives me more options to search for, will read up more of the 1600 posts then :) since there could be some work needed to get it up and hopefully I dont find new issues.

-johan

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 02:04:54 am »
Sorry to hear that - did you enable the alternate ROM for the network card in bios?  That was the one thing I had to do.  I'm not sure why you are having issues when it "just worked" for me without jumping through hoops (other than the alternate ROM thing).  If you want I can check my bios for specific settings, just let me know what you want checked. 

FWIW, I still have WIFI enabled.  My network cable has the tab broke off the end and a couple times it was loose and booted into Windows 7 with full Internet access.

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 09:40:33 am »
Sorry to hear that - did you enable the alternate ROM for the network card in bios?  That was the one thing I had to do.  I'm not sure why you are having issues when it "just worked" for me without jumping through hoops (other than the alternate ROM thing).  If you want I can check my bios for specific settings, just let me know what you want checked. 

FWIW, I still have WIFI enabled.  My network cable has the tab broke off the end and a couple times it was loose and booted into Windows 7 with full Internet access.

Yes, if the alternate(onboard Lan optional ROM) was not enabled it did not want to pxe boot at all.

Now I had it running over night and saw it stopped at generating x. will read wiki and the posts and hopefully I can get it running today.