Author Topic: Multiple remotes on a linuxmce system as described in the video  (Read 3412 times)

penguincentral

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Multiple remotes on a linuxmce system as described in the video
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:16:12 pm »
Hi.  I watched the 0704 demo video and was astounded at what I saw. It may seem to be a stupid question, but I was wondering whether if i could have multiple remotes for different rooms w/ thin clients and so that if desired different people could be doing different things at the same time? If someone can help me out, it can give me more reasons to install the system (although probably not everything described in the video).  And would i be able to use my apple remote if so desired?  Matt.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:18:14 pm by penguincentral »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple remotes on a linuxmce system as described in the video
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:09:19 am »
I would suggest reading up on the wiki, but....
Basically, any room with a media director can be controlled by a variety of orbiters and remotes.

do a search on the wiki for Orbiter.. it is an intelligent touch panel remote which is made out of commodity hardware.. I run one on a Nokia 770, and I have it installed on my laptop. I also run an orbiter on the Cisco 7970 phone.

These orbiters can move from room to room, and control every aspect of the house.

In addition, you also have support for Windows MCE style remotes, Gyration airmice, and Fiire remotes, as remotes.

-Thom

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:35:32 am »
The 'remote' and the 'orbiter' are two different things..

What you would call a 'remote' is basically the INPUT part of the orbiter.  You are using the On Screen Orbiter when you use a remote. (like the Fiire Chief, or mce remote)

What Thom was saying is that the 'orbiter' does NOT have to be 'on screen'...  I use my HP Ipaq 4150 as an 'Orbiter' (the touch screen is the equiv. input method)

There is also a web orbiter, which gives you complete control of your lmce system via http.

HTH,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

penguincentral

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 02:13:21 pm »
What i am trying to say is that i have multiple rooms with thin clients in them (don't care what sort).  Each room has it's own remote so that it can control the client in that area without interfering with the other clients.  is this possible?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 03:07:24 pm »
dude, if it's not apparent by the documentation, or the wiki, or the other posts on this forum...

YES!

please go do some research.

-Thom

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:57:22 pm »
tschak, there is no need to yell. There is in actually conflicting information on whether remotes and the like will conflict across rooms.

When Paul was talking about development versions of the FiireRemote he talked about signals leaking into different rooms when using regular bluetooth. To someone who hasn't played with the actual hardware it might not be apparent that you can marry a dongle to a particular remote and this can only happen if you marry one bluetooth remote with several dongles. With IR Remotes you usually just depend on the walls preventing signal leakage, but you can also use different IR codes with any programmable remote so that two media centers can be controlled in the same room.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:59:17 pm »
very true.

-Thom