Author Topic: Continued discussion of IP Cameras, motion wrapper and weborbiter  (Read 4821 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Continued from related post.... split off other thread because it was getting off topic.

---
I can screen shot and post my setup screens on my photobucket, no problem.
OK, no sweat, since you're using advanced IP Camera template I guess that covers it so I have and idea how you've set it up. I may try to set mine up with that one as an exercise. As I said, I imagine I could do both at the same time... shouldn't cause any problems, I would think, unless there's a PK on the MAC or something....

One nice feature though is that although its not associated with LinuxMCE, it is up and running right now.  To view it I just open a browser and click a bookmark to view the feed.  With it on my external network, I can also still use all the MyDLink iphone and remote browser features like zoom etc.
Exactly the same with mine... very nice if you're constantly tinkering with LMCE and bring it to it's knees occasionally. I have my internet connection setup to forward ports from the IP camera so I can connect remotely from anywhere and view the feed without going through LMCE at all.

normally you specify a image location and a video location.  It was my understanding that the still image was used by motion and was what is getting pushed to Web Orbiter 2.0
I don't think this is correct. Certainly, some cameras may have a still and motion image location (mine doesn't) and perhaps the advanced template allows you to specify these but certainly motion wrapper and generic camera templates don't require it and motion itself doesn't require it (since mine works without it).... it must work with the video stream itself, likewise weborbiter. Presumably stills and snapshots are generated via motion / the generic camera device from the video stream.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:00:21 am by jamo »

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Continued discussion of IP Cameras, motion wrapper and weborbiter
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:56:53 am »
LinuxMCE only uses still images from cameras. There is no support for video streams. One of the goals of the Advanced IP Camera was to look into also supporting video streams, but this requires changes to the orbiters too. Maybe the qOrbiter will come to the rescue on this.

As far as the motion wrapper, I'm not sure, but I think it uses the video stream, and outputs still images to LinuxMCE.

br,
sambuca

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:13:36 pm »
LinuxMCE only uses still images from cameras.
That's interesting.... and if that's the case, I presume the reason I can watch stuff hapenning on my camera from an orbiter is because I'm getting a bunch of stills refreshing really fast? If so, that's pretty impressive because it looks like a video to me... when there's motion (with the onscreen boxes etc) the refresh does get a bit choppy but it's still easily watchable and usable.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:49:44 pm »
LinuxMCE only uses still images from cameras. There is no support for video streams. One of the goals of the Advanced IP Camera was to look into also supporting video streams, but this requires changes to the orbiters too. Maybe the qOrbiter will come to the rescue on this.

gogoj4's already got media playback happening on qOrbiter, so I would think he's already much of the way towards streaming IP camera video.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:11 pm »
It is one thing to get media playing, something that is already working with the current orbiter, and a totally different thing to setup a lot of places within LinuxMCE to support streaming security cameras. Not saying it can't be done, but the current way of doing is fine for most occasions, me thinks.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:41:47 am »
So I put the camera and web orbiter back into my device tree and I do not have streaming video to the iPhone. 

My apologies jamo I was certain that I had it working but I must be confused between it,  my cam feed bookmark and my webpad.  Based on sambuca and posde's comments it looks like to use the camera feeds on in-wall devices like you stated you were looking to do you will need to install something onto them.  Sorry for the confusion it wasn't malicious, I have a ton of orbiters so I get the screen views mixed up.

This could very well hijack a thread so I just want to put it out there to think about and if you want to discuss elsewhere I would be happy to.  Setting up the Advanced IP Camera to look for a image/video outside of the internal network has me thinking I can use ANY browser feed as a cam view.  Weather.com image frame for my area, Yahoo.com traffic frame, a local weatherbug.com cam view for skyview and maybe even a streaming morning news show ---> each going to a "camera" displayed on the quad camera screen.  Imagine re-deploying that screen under HADesigner for use as a morning info screen on an MD!
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.