Author Topic: Insteon support?  (Read 6044 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon support?
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:54:22 pm »
Any plans to support insteon?

thanks,
Mike

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon support?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 03:18:40 pm »
Insteon looks really promising.  Frankly x10 blows; we all know that.  And our high-end dealers won't touch it.  But it's so much cheaper and easier than a high-end system like Lutron, a lot of open source users endure it.  It sounds like Insteon may be a nice compromise.

As soon as one of ours has an Insteon system hooked up and is willing to enable remote assistance for us to get into it and test our work, then we'll put a programmer on the task of adding the drivers.  Probably not more than a few days of work.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon support?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 02:48:37 pm »
Any updates for Insteon support?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon support?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 04:41:33 pm »
We are little busy right now with upcomming CES, so for the moment it's not supported.
If you have some knowledge of programming, you can try to write a pluto device for Insteon using GSD (Generic_Serial_Device). Try to search forum for more details about GSD.
You also will need some documentation. I'm not sure where to get them. Is it an open protocol or technical data is available only for paid customers?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 07:03:01 am »
I am building and new home and would be willing to provide a programer with access to an insteon system.

I do need some advice. How would Pluto control the insteon system? I am able to fine the devices like light switches but what is the controler device? Anyone have a produce name or website I can look at. The only thing I have seen is a controler on smarthome.com but it just looks like buttons I don't see how that thing would interface with Pluto.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon update?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 06:30:19 pm »
Any progress on Insteon support?  I have several modules hooked up in my house, and am really impressed with the speed and reliability.  I would love to be able to control them using Pluto.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon USB/Serial controller
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 06:36:48 pm »
By the way, daddy, Smarthome sells 3 controllers which I think may work well with Pluto:

1) Powerlinc Controller Serial - http://www.smarthome.com/2414s.html
2) Powerlinc Controller USB - http://www.smarthome.com/2414u.html
3) the New Smarthome Manager Essential Timer USB - http://www.smarthome.com/2814ub.html

Now we are just waiting on native support within the Pluto software to be able to add an Insteon device, just like with X10.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon support
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 02:04:18 pm »
Elk's M1 controller (http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/M1_Control_Family.htm) supports Insteon by way of its serial expander+smarthome interface. It also support X10, UPB, Z-Wave, Centralite, Creston and several other devices. Actually, it is a full blow U/L approved alarm system plus programable logic controller. So it has several digital I/O and analog inputs. Also has phone control.

The M1 has a very simple Rs232 serial interface protocol. So once I get Pluto installed (not success yet), I'll investigate on how to use the DCE wizard to control my M1.

I already have the M1 doing low level control of my home, but Pluto opens the possibilites a lot more. I think that they make an excellent combination since the M1 could be used as the gateway from the virtual/software world to the real/hardware devices.

The best place to ask questions about the M1 is Cocoontech http://www.cocoontech.com

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:40:50 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
Insteon looks really promising.  Frankly x10 blows; we all know that.  And our high-end dealers won't touch it.  But it's so much cheaper and easier than a high-end system like Lutron, a lot of open source users endure it.  It sounds like Insteon may be a nice compromise.

As soon as one of ours has an Insteon system hooked up and is willing to enable remote assistance for us to get into it and test our work, then we'll put a programmer on the task of adding the drivers.  Probably not more than a few days of work.

I have Insteon switches all over my house and I have an HAI Omni Pro.  Let me know what you want me to get to connect the system so you can have remote access.

Josh

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 06:53:12 pm »
If someone from Pluto wants to contact me I am willing to allow someone in to look into Insteon support. I have the switches. You tell me which Smarthome controller to buy and I will do it. You can connect test and then add Insteon support.

I am not the only one who is asking for it. I think it would be a nice feather in your cap to add support for more devices.