Author Topic: which card(s) for multiple satellite receivers  (Read 5275 times)

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
which card(s) for multiple satellite receivers
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:06:36 am »
Which pvr or hvr would you guys suggest for multiple satellite receivers? I will probably go for 2  dish network receivers with dual tuners hooked up in my core/laundry room. Thanks

mcc

• View Profile
Re: which card(s) for multiple satellite receivers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:11:12 am »
Why you'd need 2 dishes? It's enough to have multiple feed horns I believe.

I was looking for almost the same kind of setup and found out that Hauppauge has some nice boards.

BR,
MCC

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »
I have 5 bedrooms, a loft and a family room, so I wanted to start off with the ones that may be used simultaneously, which be 4 areas. With a dish tv dual tuner receiver, I can have all four areas covered with two receivers. The issue I'm wondering about is the number of core capture card inputs required. I only have two slots left on my board. Which card or solution should I go with? Sorry if this is a retarded question, but I might be missing something. Thanks

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:28:45 pm »
I have 5 bedrooms, a loft and a family room, so I wanted to start off with the ones that may be used simultaneously, which be 4 areas. With a dish tv dual tuner receiver, I can have all four areas covered with two receivers. The issue I'm wondering about is the number of core capture card inputs required. I only have two slots left on my board. Which card or solution should I go with? Sorry if this is a retarded question, but I might be missing something. Thanks

The problem is that external STB's may have two tuners but they can still only output the signal from one of those tuners at any time - you would need 4 dual tuner STB's to deliver the capability you describe I'm afraid.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:38:51 pm »
Is Cable an option for you?  Switching from DirecTV to cable and eliminating the set to boxes is the best thing I did for my LMCE setup.

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:43:47 pm »

The problem is that external STB's may have two tuners but they can still only output the signal from one of those tuners at any time - you would need 4 dual tuner STB's to deliver the capability you describe I'm afraid.

Some Dish Network dual tuner DVRs (such as vip722, vip722k, etc) support "two rooms" and therefore, have two video outputs.  Not sure if you will be able two control two separate "rooms" with IR, though.  Typically TV2 responds to the RF remote.  I have successfully used two RF remotes before, but not two IR remotes.  Maybe setting different addresses for each is sufficient, but I've never tried it.

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:59:46 am »
I'm not an expert in either of the fields but, assuming you only want the Free-To-Air channels, wouldn't 2 Quattro LNB's and a multi-switch remove the requirement of a double tuner?

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:11 pm »

Some Dish Network dual tuner DVRs (such as vip722, vip722k, etc) support "two rooms" and therefore, have two video outputs.  Not sure if you will be able two control two separate "rooms" with IR, though.  Typically TV2 responds to the RF remote.  I have successfully used two RF remotes before, but not two IR remotes. o Maybe setting different addresses for each is sufficient, but I've never tried it.

the VIP722's with dual tuners are what I was looking at, what I'm trying to find is the best card to get to  facilitate the use of two dual tuner VIP722's?

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 06:45:09 pm »
Is Cable an option for you?  Switching from DirecTV to cable and eliminating the set to boxes is the best thing I did for my LinuxMCE setup.

I currently have cable through my HOA, which does not allow other cable companies in the community. The cable company only offers a limited number of channels. To get the few other channel packages they offer u have to pay an arm and 3 legs. It would work out a lot cheaper for me to go with dish network and I would get a lot more channels,thanks for the suggestion though.

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »
I have an HD-PVR that I plan to use with my vip722 (not using it yet, lmce support is still in-work, afaik). 

If you don't intend to capture HD, it is probably overkill.  Other than that, I have no experience with cards used for that purpose, so I can't help you out there.